Gila Archery Elk, what to get my Dad to prepare him?

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
My brother has a first season archery elk tag in the Gila this Fall. Because of the remoteness of the unit, and it being something my Dad has always wanted to do, we decided to do a drop camp hunt. My dad is up in his late 60s, and has always wanted to do a drop camp elk hunt. His birthday is coming up, and I want to get him something useful for the trip. What are some suggestions for a present that would work well in the Gila? Something in roughly the $50-100 range since he would probably try to make one of us use it if it is something really nice. Also want to add in my Dad has very rarely hunted out west, and does not have much in terms of nice hunting gear since all he does is whitetail and turkey hunt.

Legend

WKR
When they invented the hydration bladder it changed my hunting in a huge way. I never knew how much water I was missing when I used water bottles. I now drink 3 times as much water and feel way better day after day. So that is my vote.

Or a fat air mattress and pillow.

Jbxl20

WKR
Gotcha. Does he have any good merino baselayers or a Sitka core lightweight hoody. I have 2 and love them. That would fit the price range. Water bladder is also a good one.

OP
George Hamrick

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Gotcha. Does he have any good merino baselayers or a Sitka core lightweight hoody. I have 2 and love them. That would fit the price range. Water bladder is also a good one.
He does not have any merino. Trying to convince him to get some merino socks. A merino shirt and long bottoms might be a good option. I know I love mine.

Doghed

WKR
This is cool. You guys are going to have a great time. If my father was still around and we were doing something like this I think it would have to be a blade. Its something useful, meaningful and timeless. And if he is lucky enough to use it to skin and butcher an elk there will be history and memories associated with it as well.

Congrats and good luck this season.

OP
George Hamrick

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
This is cool. You guys are going to have a great time. If my father was still around and we were doing something like this I think it would have to be a blade. Its something useful, meaningful and timeless. And if he is lucky enough to use it to skin and butcher an elk there will be history and memories associated with it as well.

Congrats and good luck this season.
It will definitely be an awesome trip regardless of if my brother gets an elk or not. That would definitely make for a good story with the knife. I will definitely keep that in mind. Good luck to you as well!

Wapiti1

WKR
Sleeping bag. Trekking Poles (cork handles). Havalon or equivalent. Or go a little nicer with the knife and get something engraved. Bino Harness. Sounds bad, but merino socks.

Just a few thoughts.

Jeremy

dtrkyman

WKR
X1000 on trekking poles! I have some cheap ones, mountain smith that are decent, my wife's Leki poles are really nice!

dtrkyman

WKR
Big fire currently in the Gila, what unit are you hunting? A big portion of 16b is closed until Dec. from what I hear! Look into it, Johnson fire!

OP
George Hamrick

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Big fire currently in the Gila, what unit are you hunting? A big portion of 16b is closed until Dec. from what I hear! Look into it, Johnson fire!
I am aware of the fire. We’ve talked to the outfitter about it. Not in a part of the unit that is affected currently.

OP
George Hamrick

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Which Gila unit? Many have roads every mile or so.…a drop camp wouldn’t be any advantage.

16c has the wilderness but its probably best to be mobile especially in there.

Best thing you can do for him is take him hiking- a lot!

-
16B is the unit. If it was just my brother and I, we would most likely stay mobile and keep camp on our back, but it’s been a dream of my Dad’s to do a drop camp since the 80s. Worth the trip to have a hunting trip with the three of us. Brother lives in NM, I’m in OH, and dad is in WV.

Base14

FNG
Trekking poles and a cot. Sleeping on the ground takes a toll on a body the older you get.