Gila bound!

4IDARCHER

WKR
Well the day is here.

The Gila is calling and the bow is ready. Can’t believe I get to get down to that magic place again and chase some bulls with my hunting bro. I have a long thread on here on my last (less than ideal) trip down to 16A and can’t say that some of those memories won’t be floating around in my head, at least until we get down there and have those worries put to rest. It would take a long time to relate that (mis)adventure again but I do have some old posts on here about it.

I am taking my PSE carbon Mach 1 down and have (finally) decided on my complete setup and hunting package. The Mach 1 is set at 29.5inch draw shooting around 74lb and kicking my arrows out at close to 277fps.

My arrows are 250 spine Victory RIP TKO elites with AAE hybrid 27 vanes. I am using 75grain HIT inserts and Iron Will Ti collars. With a 150 grain broad head and nockturnal strobing knocks my arrow weight is 539-540 grains and my FOC is hovering around 18%. Some pretty decent performance.

My broad head search has been a long one. I wanted to go with 150 grain head so that limited me somewhat. After trying about every 150 grain head I could get my hands on I decided to go with the 150 grain Grim Reaper Hades pro 4 blade (the larger cut, not the micro) the 150 grain trypan and the 150 grain Sevr Robusto. These heads gave me the most confidence out to 80 yards compared to all that I tested (and there were several). The IW Wides were close but they did not fly as well at distance as the Hades and those heads impressed me with the quality and cut. The 150 grain version are very stout! I will say despite all the tuning and practice I could do the Hades pro flys about 2-3 inches to the right of my Trypans and Sevr past 70 yards. Out to there though they all group great. On an elk at 70-80 yards 2-3 inches still gives me extreme confidence, and at that distance if (BIG IF) I do take a shot I will most likely only do so with the Trypan or Sevr. It does feel great to know though that for 90% of my likely shots my fixed heads are flying with my field points and mechs.

Hopefully everything is awesome and we are into elk the whole time!

Gila

WKR
Good luck on your hunt...there isn't very much elk activity going on right now. I have been out scouting for the last few days this past week. It has been so hot that the elk only move at night as I have seen them along the road at zero dark thirty. It has been 68-73 degrees when I wake up. The buzz tails are out moving around. Quite a few of the tanks are dry. The rivers are a trickle while the smaller streams are dry as well. They have been hitting the wallows at night though. The waning gibbous with clear skies has been keeping them completely nocturnal. I glassed a lot of territory during the first hours and have not seen anything or heard anything. Not one bugle! I have not been out until sunset though. Yesterday afternoon the hunters showed up in force. Sure are a lot of happy faces in that bunch! I don't expect things to change much until after Thursday but it can only improve each day from now on.

AZ_J

FNG
Ill be in unit 1 AZ as of tomorrow, hopefully this area is a little more vocal right now. Good luck

Gila

WKR
3 days in and not much talking at all. Just not seeing what we were hoping to see. Last night it rained quite a bit so hopefully that helps. The temps also dropped quite a bit, but nothing so far this morning. Got service for a sec so hopefully things pick up here soon.

I got a feeling the next time we hear from you will be a different story. 😁

Snow on top this morning. It was a whopping 45 deg for a high today. Stay clear of the low lying roads and areas. There is now a pond next to the barn.

OP
4IDARCHER

4IDARCHER

WKR
Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the well wishes and help! Unfortunately not much has changed yet. Hopefully soon!

Mjay

FNG
Obviously it was a good hunt if you would put in for it again!

NoWiser

WKR
The Gila is a special place, but it’s certainly no gimmee. I’m envious of the time you got to spend there, regardless of the outcome.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
goodness sakes....to eat tag soup on a Gila tag, whoa!!

I've drawn NR 16a twice in 25 years, unit 15 once, filled tags all 3 of those years. Unit 15 hunt was a tough dry year but got it done. All 2nd season archery tags though.
Should I draw again (near impossible now, pure lottery luck for NR), still applying for arch 2nd season. 9 years since and counting...

edit: looking back at notes, that unit 15 draw was the early archery season. those early seasons can be tough, especially when its a dry year.

Last edited: