Gila Fires

Well boyz? The Gila is ablaze with no relief in site. I think the one in the Leupold Wilderness has doubled in size since just earlier this week to over 100k acres. So much for my secret spot. Now i'll have to horn in on someone elses favorite lil honeyhole. I will try not to call you in 😉. The bad thing is i cannot go down and set trail cams until July if they open it back up. We shall see. We need rain!

ShakeDown

WKR
Pray for rain.

The Hermit’s Peak, Calf Canyon fire near Santa Fe is now over 300k and only 40% contained…

Pretty moronic to run with a prescribed burn in the wind conditions at the time.

Gila

WKR
It’s really no big deal. There are fires in the Gila Wilderness area almost every year. The reason is that they cannot get the fuel out. Also they can’t get in there to do a prescribed burn. The closure is just the area around the fire. Once they start to get a handle on containment they will open that area again. Actually the fire will help you find elk. Follow a burn edge close to a stream or wet spring (there are a lot of dry springs/streams in the fall) and you will find elk. I have found trail cams to be worthless.

Brooks

WKR
I hate seeing these fires. Last big fire near me cleaned the forest out of most all the Ponderosa pine, Junipers and Piñon trees then the elk were pretty much out in the open walking through the burn scare and the big elk took a big hit. Once we had a lot of BIG bulls now we have a bunch of small 5x5’s and you better not pass on a 300 6x6 ! Rifle and Muz hunters have been picking them off across canyons at long range ever since.

SDHNTR

WKR
I hate seeing these fires. Last big fire near me cleaned the forest out of most all the Ponderosa pine, Junipers and Piñon trees then the elk were pretty much out in the open walking through the burn scare and the big elk took a big hit. Once we had a lot of BIG bulls now we have a bunch of small 5x5’s and you better not pass on a 300 6x6 ! Rifle and Muz hunters have been picking them off across canyons at long range ever since.
Lemme guess, 36?