Gila Hiking

OXN939

WKR
Going to be in the Alamogordo area in May, and since I'll probably never draw a Gila tag I figured I might do a few days of hiking and fly fishing just to get to see what it's like. Anyone got experience with what the hiking/ fly fishing is like along the west and middle forks of the Gila River during that timeframe? Thinking about doing this loop. Thanks in advance for any input!

I did this hike about 6 years ago in June. The days prior they had monsoon rains and the river had flooded outside its banks and had just started to recede. We counted 60+ river crossings and were in water from ankle to chest deep. First time ever I hiked in water shoes instead of hiking boots. Hopefully you won’t have the same conditions we had. Fishing was not good obviously but we kept at it. It’s an easy hike otherwise. Hot springs on the back side 1/2 way through are a welcomed opportunity. Sorry I don’t have helpful info. The flood really screwed it all up but we were there and weren’t turning back.

Last edited:
OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
I did this hike about 6 years ago in June. The days prior they had monsoon rains and the river had flooded outside its banks and had just started to recede. We counted 60+ river crossings and were in water from ankle to chest deep. First time ever I hiked in water shoes instead of hiking boots. Hopefully you won’t have the same conditions we had. Fishing was not good obviously but we kept at it. It’s an easy hike otherwise. Hot springs on the back side 1/2 way through are a welcomed opportunity. Sorry I don’t have helpful info. The flood really screwed it all up but we were there and weren’t turning back.

I've heard that exact thing that river crossings can get sporty, especially during snowmelt season. Figuring May should be past most of that but still bringing trekking poles!