Gila Mule Deer Help

cciliske

FNG
We drew a unit within Gila Wilderness for Mule Deer for an early November rifle hunt. I know its not the most storied mule deer area, but excited none the less to go experience some new country and get back into the wilderness. Having never hunted the area before, I was hoping to see if anyone had some general tips for Mule Deer in the area. Not looking for unit specific locations, trails, etc. but mostly what should we expect movement wise and overall strategy in the area. We have some assumptions, but want to see if they hold up.

I was hoping to discuss via PM so that I have a better idea as we start working on our Onx and topo research for the unit we drew.

Mojave

WKR
Low deer numbers unit wide. Only parts of the unit are officially wilderness. There are roads all over most of the unit.

I hunted the Gila in 2020 for elk and didn't kill one. There wasn't much feed or water in any 16 unit last year. I don't know what the water situation is for 2021.

Use maps and look for the steepest country you can find, and then find water. There will be deer there.

There are very few deer compared to elk in the Gila. I would be shocked if there are 1500 total deer in the entire Gila. Don't waste your money on bear tags, bear quota will be met by then.

SDHNTR

WKR
In addition to the above, there’s a difference between the Gila and the Gila Wilderness. Only the official Wilderness is steep, nasty and roadless. Not many deer either. Sorry I’m not much help as I’ve only hunted it for elk, and not seen many deer.

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted there 5-6 times and will be packing back into the same area again this year. Very few deer but we've managed to kill our fair share over the years. I killed a 170'' deer in there with a little hard hunting and a lot of luck. Its more of a family trip for our group now, my dad was an outfitter in that area for a number of years.

Mojave

WKR
In addition to the above, there’s a difference between the Gila and the Gila Wilderness. Only the official Wilderness is steep, nasty and roadless. Not many deer either. Sorry I’m not much help as I’ve only hunted it for elk, and not seen many deer.
Most of the Gila has gentle rolling hills. It is on a big plateau. Nothing like NW New Mexico or the Northern Rockies.

Some rough parts for sure, that is where I would look for deer.

That’s a giant unit that consists of all the 16 elk units - you have many options. Wilderness backpack hunt or hunt the other non wilderness areas? Low deer densities but due to the wilderness challenges their are a few nice deer but not many.

SDHNTR

WKR
Most of the Gila has gentle rolling hills. It is on a big plateau. Nothing like NW New Mexico or the Northern Rockies.

Some rough parts for sure, that is where I would look for deer.
The Gila National Forest, yes. The Gila Wilderness, no. It’s a rough and steep as anywhere on God’s green earth.

Wheels

WKR
I've hunted 16B several times for elk during the archery season. Back in the '90's and early 2000's saw quite a few nice muley bucks, last time I hunted it in 2019, saw only a couple decent muley bucks, but lots of big coues bucks. I think the predators have taken care of the mule deer population, not sure how the coues are making it, but they seemed to be doing just fine.

JBHunts

FNG
I drew 16 as well for the Nov 13-17 rifle this year. Looking forward to a nice trip, regardless of tag soup or not.

Was in 16B last year for 6 days early archery. We were very deep in there. Its definitely not gentle rollers once you get "in" there. Over the 6 days and many many miles covered I saw one really nice velvet muley, one small forky, and a doe.......Buddy saw a few more then I did and another really nice buck, but it's def more dense with elk and bears then deer.......Cover ground and glass.........it's thick country so you gotta be patient and pick that place apart.

Hello All, thanks for your posts. Been watching the info on the Gila for a couple months now but had trouble getting my registration to go through... then today something changed and I'm in.

Anyway, I watched this with some curiosity because I drew a couple NM resident tags down in that area for fall 2021, including one for a unit 16 FAD tag for the Muzzleloader - late Oct into Early Nov. What I read is mixed with reports of no deer and others stating there are plenty of deer. Headed down at the end of the month to scout it out. I'll post an update on how that goes.

Had an elk hunt in the wilderness, 16B, last year. I saw this nice looking buck and found a matching pair of sheds close by that I'm nearly certain belonged to this buck the previous season. He inspired me to put in for archery in 16, but no luck drawing deer this year.

Screenshot_20210911-160518_Gallery.jpg