Gitzo Traveler Series 1 Tripod Thoughts

atmat

WKR
Does anyone have any experience with this tripod? Spec wise, looks very similar to a Slik 634, except a much higher payload and about 5 oz heavier.

I have a Wiser precision head, and adding the tripod would keep me <3 lbs. People on photography forums seem to rave about Gitzo, but I see them significantly less here.

Any thoughts? I’d tried to find used to make up the price difference between it and a Slik.

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any experience with this tripod? Spec wise, looks very similar to a Slik 634, except a much higher payload and about 5 oz heavier.

I have a Wiser precision head, and adding the tripod would keep me <3 lbs. People on photography forums seem to rave about Gitzo, but I see them significantly less here.

Any thoughts? I’d tried to find used to make up the price difference between it and a Slik.
FWIW I have the mountaineer series 3 and love it. I wanted something smaller for travel and lighter loads. I purchased the traveler series 1 and it seems like a flimsy toy compared to the mountaineer. I’ll keep it for light non critical loads. The vibration is too much to handle after getting use to the series 3.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
FWIW I have the mountaineer series 3 and love it. I wanted something smaller for travel and lighter loads. I purchased the traveler series 1 and it seems like a flimsy toy compared to the mountaineer. I’ll keep it for light non critical loads. The vibration is too much to handle after getting use to the series 3.
Any chance you wanna part with the 1series?

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
Not at the moment. I found a purpose for it. My only point was it’s not as stable as it’s big brothers but there is added weight as well. My statement comes from experience using both. I would never use the series 1 as a primary, but it can be useful as a secondary.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
Not at the moment. I found a purpose for it. My only point was it’s not as stable as it’s big brothers but there is added weight as well. My statement comes from experience using both. I would never use the series 1 as a primary, but it can be useful as a secondary.
Gotcha. Have you ever ran a Slik 634? If so, how did it compare to series 1?

The 3 series mountaineer looks nice, and I bet it’s stable — but it comes with a weight penalty.

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
I have never used a Slik tripod but they are popular on RS. What is it you want to use it for? Glassing or photography???

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I can't remember for sure which model of Gitzo I have (I think GT1545T), but it's similar in size and weight to my Slik 634. I've had the Gitzo for quite a few years and have never had a problem with it. The Slik is broken.

You have to determine your intended use. The Gitzo I mentioned works very well for glassing with binos and spotters. I've used it many times with Swaro 20-60x80 ATS and also the Swaro 95 BTX, and many other spotters. Most of my glassing is done sitting, which makes a big difference. If I am hunting near the truck and standing a lot while glassing, I like to bring a bigger, heavier tripod.

The Gitzo can work for shooting as well, but it won't be as stable or easy as a bigger shooting tripod.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I have the older mountaineer 0 series, the gt-0531 from gitzo that I use 90% of the time. It weighs about a pound and a half and right at two pounds with a panning ball head. For as light as it is, I have been very happy. Great quality and glassing/spotting while sitting. When I need something larger or taller I have a cheap Slik cf824 that has also been good, so far.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
I have never used a Slik tripod but they are popular on RS. What is it you want to use it for? Glassing or photography???
Predominantly glassing, though I’d prefer to be able to shoot from it as well.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
I can't remember for sure which model of Gitzo I have (I think GT1545T), but it's similar in size and weight to my Slik 634. I've had the Gitzo for quite a few years and have never had a problem with it. The Slik is broken.

You have to determine your intended use. The Gitzo I mentioned works very well for glassing with binos and spotters. I've used it many times with Swaro 20-60x80 ATS and also the Swaro 95 BTX, and many other spotters. Most of my glassing is done sitting, which makes a big difference. If I am hunting near the truck and standing a lot while glassing, I like to bring a bigger, heavier tripod.

The Gitzo can work for shooting as well, but it won't be as stable or easy as a bigger shooting tripod.
The 1545T is the model I’m looking at. Not sure I can justify 2.5x the cost of the Slik 634 though.

IMO GiTZO is the Swarovski of tripods. But they are $. I have the 1545 and love it. Pretty bombproof and light