Give Bull Ivory to Buddy?

Want to give some bull ivory to a buddy. Here is the situation:

Three of us did our 1st backpack elk hunt during the first rifle season in Colo. Hiked 2 1/2 miles into a roadless area. One realized after 24 hours that he was not fit enough or experienced enough for the trip and my buddy agreed to drive him home to Denver.

Honestly, it had been a huge error in judgment to take the other guy because we knew he wasn't prepared.

While they were gone I shot my first bull elk, a little 4x4.

When my buddy returned he immediately started packing meat out for me. By the time we were done packing meat my buddy was pretty smoked. I hunted with him for another day but we decided to go home before the end of the season.

I delivered 1/3 of my processed meat to my buddy and his wife yesterday. They protested of course and I told them it was a done deal.

Want to give my buddy one of the ivories and here's the thing: I really didn't know much about the ivories and my buddy pulled them out for me (his father told him how to do it). My buddy has never harvested an elk, and I want us both to remember this hunt as a great experience. I took my Dremel out this morning and polished the ivories up a little. Also drilled holes through the roots and will probably put a simple leather band through each one.

What are the traditions around this sort of thing? Have any of you done anything similar?

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like he is a true friend and a great hunting partner. I would have given him half of the meat and left the other guy out. As for the ivory, I get those little bitty eye screws from Hobby Lobby and epoxy one in the end of the root. That way, it hangs very well on a cord or chain. Congratulations on your elk.

It seems to me like you might have found the ultimate hunting partner! That dude went way above and beyond.....offer them to him, but he won't accept them as he'll want his own. When you go next year, i'd bust my tail to get him an elk. That you owe him!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Sounds like a hell of a friend. Unless you are going to give him both Ivory's, its not worth it. I would give him half the meat and try like hell to get that man an Elk next year!

OP
CrzyTrekker
Ryan - I think you're right, and all three of you have given excellent advice. I appreciate it. I am gonna make that trip to Hobby Lobby and make something cool with the ivories and insist he take them as a token of our hunt. I haven't divided all the meat out so I can also take care of him there. Next year I will work to get my buddy an elk!

Thanks

JPD350

WKR
I agree, he is a good hunting partner and the same thought right back at you!

I have a different opinion about the ivories, I kind of think the ivories are like antlers, I wouldn't want someone else's unless I was in the business of doing jewelry or something like that. He will take it if you give it to him as a good luck charm, maybe you could put the ivory on a key chain, or set it up to use as a zipper pull on his pack, or hook it to a fire starter.

hunting1

WKR
I killed a small bull 2-years agoand my buddy was great so I gave him mine. He has been a friend since kindergarten and you would have thought I gave him $1,000,000 dolars. Hope he will always remember his first elk hunt.

Three guys pack each guy gets a third.
Two guys pack 50/50.
Bust your butt helping him as others have expressed.
He will reciprocate the same next year with his animal
Keep your ivory imho