Give me some recommendations for my 12 year old to self film

My 12 year old son basically lives outside on our farm. He is either fishing at one of the ponds, trapping, hunting, etc... He has gotten hooked on some of these youtube channels of guys hunting and fishing and is wanting to play around with that himself. I thought it would be fun for him to learn something new, so just trying to figure out how best to set him up. I used to do a little video stuff years ago, but just used movie maker on my macbook for editing. I do have a Canon T2i and T3 with various lenses that we have just used as a family over the years. I don't really want to sink a ton of money into a bunch of video equipment since I'm not sure how much he will get into it, but was wondering if the Canon cameras I have will do pretty good shooting video for him? He is wanting a gopro, but the last one I had which was years ago didn't shoot very good quality, so not sure if that would be helpful. What would be the best thing for him to learn to edit on and play around with? Thanks for any help you guys may be able to offer.

The video on your camera, even though it is older will blow away any GoPro. The sensor is almost 10 times bigger. That and the FAR superior lenses get the better quality. Let him try your equipment and if he really gets into it then you can look at new options. There are great options at VERY reasonable prices. Call me if you have any questions

Joel
Camera Land
516-217-1000

OP
W
What about sound on those cameras? Should I get an external microphone for them? Any suggestions on editing?

Scoot

WKR
FYI- I found Joel to be super helpful. If you end up buying some equipment for this, I'd suggest giving him a call. He's a wealth of knowledge.

External Mics are very helpful and they are very reasonable. I have not seen your camera in many years and I would bet the house there is no Mic jack on it. Canon has the M50 that has a Mic jack, it all depends how much you want to invest.
Honestly, as you said, you want to see how much he gets into this. If he does then the M50 is a very good option and Canon offers a video kit with a Rode Mic that retails for $699.99, before the Rokslide discount. I am out today but in next week Monday thru Saturday. I am usually in by 7:00 M-F and next Saturday will be in from 10-5:30
Always here to help

Joel
5136-217-1000

jeepfan

FNG
The T2i does have a mic input but you will want to get a battery powered mic so you don't have to manually boost the levels up really high.

The video on your camera, even though it is older will blow away any GoPro. The sensor is almost 10 times bigger. That and the FAR superior lenses get the better quality. Let him try your equipment and if he really gets into it then you can look at new options. There are great options at VERY reasonable prices. Call me if you have any questions

Joel
Camera Land
516-217-1000
Agree :)