Glacier NP Advice

Guff

FNG
I have read several threads on here regarding GNP but have couple more questions. Planning a trip for 2022 so appreciate any help.

1) What airport do you all recommend using when flying out to that part of the country? I don't mind driving some once I get there so an airport super close isn't make or break.

2) Are there certain areas that are best for wildlife viewing? I'd love to see some Bighorn's, Mountain Goats, and I would also love to lay eyes on some big muley bucks if there is an area that can accomplish that.

bsnedeker

WKR
Fly into Kalispell if you want to focus on glacier. You could fly into Missoula if you want to explore down there.

Mountain goats all over GNP so I don't think you'll have trouble finding them. I actually really like hiking up Mt. Aeneas from the Camp Misery Trailhead south of Columbia Falls for mountain goats but that's not in the park.

Look into Wild Horse Island in the Flathead Lake for giant sheep and mulies. Gotta rent a boat or catch a ride but they have some big guys over there for sure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

slvrslngr

WKR
Spokane or Missoula would likely be the least fuss to fly into. Bit of a drive from Spokane but not a big deal.

You can see wildlife pretty much anywhere. Bring your spotter and binos and glass away. We saw 4 grizzlies without even looking, a sow and 2 cubs then a big boar. If there's a bunch of cars pulled over along the road, there's probably a bear nearby.

bsnedeker

WKR
Spokane or Missoula would likely be the least fuss to fly into. Bit of a drive from Spokane but not a big deal.

You can see wildlife pretty much anywhere. Bring your spotter and binos and glass away. We saw 4 grizzlies without even looking, a sow and 2 cubs then a big boar. If there's a bunch of cars pulled over along the road, there's probably a bear nearby.
I'm curious, are you saying flying into Kalispell is a hassle? I love that airport personally...3 gates, easy peasy. Direct flights to Minneapolis, Denver, SLC, Seattle, and Portland of the top of my head with more added all the time.

slvrslngr

WKR
I'm curious, are you saying flying into Kalispell is a hassle? I love that airport personally...3 gates, easy peasy. Direct flights to Minneapolis, Denver, SLC, Seattle, and Portland of the top of my head with more added all the time.

No, actually I forgot about Kalispell, that would be the easiest for sure! But, the you can make the drive from Spokane pretty interesting and see some nice country along the way. It may also be cheaper than some of the other small airports. Just depends on how much time the OP has and what the priorities are. It's going to be a fun trip no matter where they start!

S.Clancy

WKR
Don't rule out flying into Helena, you could make a loop. Drive up Rocky Mtn Front to GNP, do the GNP thing East to West, then drive around Bigfork, out Seeley/Swan, then back to Helena via Ovando and the Blackfoot River. See some awesome areas.

Fordguy

WKR
I have read several threads on here regarding GNP but have couple more questions. Planning a trip for 2022 so appreciate any help.

1) What airport do you all recommend using when flying out to that part of the country? I don't mind driving some once I get there so an airport super close isn't make or break.

2) Are there certain areas that are best for wildlife viewing? I'd love to see some Bighorn's, Mountain Goats, and I would also love to lay eyes on some big muley bucks if there is an area that can accomplish that.
We saw goats on the cliff side (looked nearly impossible to get to where they were) from the trail to Avalanche Lake. Didn't see any of the others while we were there, but it was a late September trip and we were forced to leave early by a snow storm that filled the pass and would have kept us there beyond our planned stay.

dwils233

FNG
Flying into Spokane is usually the most affordable of the options. 3ish hour drive through beautiful country to get to glacier from there. Of course you could always take the midnight train to whitefish.

If you choose to drive, take a detour through the national bison range on the way back. definitely worth the stop for an hour or two

bozeman

WKR
We are flying into Kalispell in mid July.....got a few hikes we want to go on, do some rafting and horseback riding for the kids (13 and 14).........I have always wanted to see Grinnell Glacier, just been on my list.....plan to check that one off this summer.

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider

The Hidden Lake Trail usually has plenty of goats. I've also seen them along the first half mile or so of the Highline Trail.

From the Logan Pass visitors center look across the street on that rocky face and you might see some Bighorns. It can be a challenge finding them unless you have good glass. (I don't) Or, come back late in the afternoon and they'll be in the parking lot!