Glad to be here

WVELK

FNG
Well this section is yours truly. I have used the Forum as a reference for what seems like forever. I am 53, live in WV and have hunted big game from Alaska to Louisiana to New Foundland and many parts in between. But, there are many more here with even more experience. For 20 years I was a DIY guy, but these days I do not have as much time so I use
more outfitters.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome glad you quit lurking and joined up. Look forward to reading some of your posts

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Welcome from Ohio - across the river from Wheeling. If you are ever up this way (ie Cabelas or otherwise) send me a PM.....like to connect with western hunters to see if any common interest for future hunts. Also your welcome to check out any gear that I have before purchasing...

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
Welcome from Ohio - across the river from Wheeling. If you are ever up this way (ie Cabelas or otherwise) send me a PM.....like to connect with western hunters to see if any common interest for future hunts. Also your welcome to check out any gear that I have before purchasing...

Thanks. I think I have to be on the forum for a few more days before I can PM, and then I will have to figure out how to send one - ha. I have a farm in Ohio, so I am there a lot.

lokifox

FNG
No shame in going with an outfitter.

I have recommended it to several friends who have pushed through a few unsuccessful DIY hunts. In all honesty, guys with limited time should just write a check and have a great experience.

Maybe you don’t get some of the personal satisfaction but it’s just as rewarding in a slightly different way.

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
No shame in going with an outfitter.

I have recommended it to several friends who have pushed through a few unsuccessful DIY hunts. In all honesty, guys with limited time should just write a check and have a great experience.

Maybe you don’t get some of the personal satisfaction but it’s just as rewarding in a slightly different way.

Appreciated it. Will be doing one of each this year. My very first DIY was in Idaho (28 years ago I think) and after 9 days of very tough hunting I still had not seen my first elk in the wild. On the 10th day, we left camp about 3 AM on foot and my friend who was more of a body builder than cardio guy said “if you take one more step away from camp I swear I will shoot you in the back”. When we got back, our other buddy (the third in our three man group) had decided to pack up camp and everything we had was packed and ready to go. I wasn’t ready to leave and give up, but they sure were. Neither has ever elk hunted again.