Glass bedding my Kimber mountain ascent

mtnkid85

WKR
Hey fellas,

I just recently bedded my new Kimber MA and thought Id share a few pictures.

First off I immediately traded the camo stock for a regular Montana stock, since I wasn't a big fan of the Sitka pattern. It was a little lighter too, though I don't recall exactly how much.

After starting in on load development I was quite pleased with how the rifle was shooting. But I was also seeing some consistent fliers that where opening up the groups.

Typical group:

IMG_2826.jpg

There are a few great threads that I refrenced while getting ready for the project. This one and this one over at 24hrcampfire both had some good stuff.

Though I did vary my method from theres slightly.

First off take the dremel and rough up the stock to help the bedding stick. Tape off the stock to keep the squeeze out contained.

fullsizeoutput_22c.jpg

Next build some clay dams to help direct the bedding compound away from the ejector and the barrel channel. After the stock is fully prepped, wipe it out with a little mineral spirits, to remove any left over oils.

IMG_2819.jpg

Tape off the trigger group and a few quick swipes of tape over the scope to keep release agent overspray off. I added several layers of tape directly under the lug and then one layer along the edge. A few wraps out around the barrel helps keep it centered when dropped back into the stock.
Here you can also see the "bedding pillar screws". Just run to the parts store grab some 3" bolts of the proper thread and cut the heads off. Wrap tape around them until they fit snuggly down into the pillars, to help keep out any excess bedding compound.

IMG_2818.jpg

Start applying your release agent. I used Hornady one shot resizing lube for the first time on this rifle. It worked very nicely, went on nice and evenly. After the first coat of release agent I used clay to fill in the extractor groove on the action. Then I gave it several more coats of release agent.
After you've done a few dry passes to make sure your tape isn't going to interfere with any thing. Mix up your bedding compound, Ive always used Devcon 10110 with great results.
Mix yourself up a good supply and evenly apply to the stock, making sure to get plenty down along the face of the recoil lug. I like to use a plastic spoon or knife for the application.
Drop the action in place and wrap the action and stock as tightly as you can with electrical tape. Now LEAVE IT! I generally try to give it 2-3 hours to start setting up before I come back and start cleaning up the squeeze out. Use the left over compound that you mixed up as a gauge to let you know how its setting up.
After the 2ish hour mark Ill come in and cut off all the squeeze out and pull all the tape that I can access. Ill come back the next morning and give it a tap tap to pop the action out of the stock... Hopefully!

Continued in next post for the picture limit.

Last edited:
OP
mtnkid85

mtnkid85

WKR
Of course it pops out nicely!

fullsizeoutput_22b.jpg

Using a good sharp razor blade and perhaps the dremel carefully clean up anymore squeeze out thats left, clean up any edges that need it, pull out the clay and Voila! One bedded rifle!

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

Since putting it back together Ive only had a chance to get back to the range once, but it seems to have helped tighten up that same load a little bit. Pulled that fourth flier in closer to an inch.

IMG_2825.jpg

Great write-up! This will be very helpful for folks wanting to dabble in rifle bedding!!

Boy those little fliers are annoying!!! Have you ever checked runout? Could be a cause for the flier!

I would add it's important to double checking the feed ramp and tang area to make sure no bedding compound has leaked into these areas that could cause a trap locking in the action.

Kiwi wax is also a great bedding release agent and JB Weld is a great cheap alternative to Devcon. JB is easier to mix because proportions are equal.

I've used every bedding compound known to man and Devcon and JB are my top two.

Well done! That's a very clean bedding job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
Of course it pops out nicely!

View attachment 57095

Using a good sharp razor blade and perhaps the dremel carefully clean up anymore squeeze out thats left, clean up any edges that need it, pull out the clay and Voila! One bedded rifle!

View attachment 57097

View attachment 57101

Since putting it back together Ive only had a chance to get back to the range once, but it seems to have helped tighten up that same load a little bit. Pulled that fourth flier in closer to an inch.

View attachment 57102

those fliers are quite typical of Kimber rifles no matter the chambering or model - I'm convinced it's the barrels .... my Barrett doesn't do those

OP
mtnkid85

mtnkid85

WKR
Yes thats true, try and get in through the ejection port and clean out any excess bedding compound that can be reached thats squeezed out around the feed ramp, ect.

I have used JB weld on a few rifles as well and yes its worked just fine as well. I think I bought this one jar of Devcon several years ago and have done several rifles with it. Previously I had always used a wax based wipe on shoe water proofer as a release agent, but wanted to try the aerosol Hornady spray this time. Like I said I was pleased with how uniform it went on.

Honestly the fliers could very well be me as well. These light weight guns are SO sensitive, they can be a real challenge to not push/pull. Especially when your trying to hold the thing down and not let it free recoil.

But yea, that first one is a pretty typical group. It seems to toss one off more often than not, and its not always the same shot. Sometimes its the 4th and sometimes its the 1st/2nd/3rd, but then it generally clusters the other three.

Last edited:
Nice job on the bedding.
3 things to always check on a Kimber! Or any bolt gun really.

Mag box- Make sure it's not binding. Most need the protrusions on the box ground down about .100.
Front base screw- make sure it's not touching the barrel threads when tightened down.
Front action screw- most are just a touch to long

Also make sure barrel is completely free floated and not touching the stock as it heats up. Had to sand out the channel of my stock on my Adirondack in order to eliminate the flier problem. I could see marks where the barrel was touching. 3rd shot was always a flier before doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job on the bedding.
3 things to always check on a Kimber! Or any bolt gun really.

Mag box- Make sure it's not binding. Most need the protrusions on the box ground down about .100.
Front base screw- make sure it's not touching the barrel threads when tightened down.
Front action screw- most are just a touch to long

On the mag box are you trying to grind down the tabs on the mag until the mag box has a little movement when in the stock?

On the mag box are you trying to grind down the tabs on the mag until the mag box has a little movement when in the stock?

Yep exactly. Grind down the tabs until they don’t make contact with the stock when bolted together.