Glass Bedding

Azone

WKR
Looking for some information on how people go about glass bedding a rifle.
I'm in the process of starting a .270 Win project with a Weatherby Vanguard I won at a banquet a few years back.
The gun was shooting around 1.0 to 1.25 at 100 yards with 130 grain cor-loks, so I believe with a good bedding job and handload it should be able to crack .75 and maybe even get to a low 0.6 or even 0.5 territory with it.
I have only ever glass bedded one rifle which was a Rem Sendero and it helped it alot, bringing it from a 1.0 ish rifle to a 0.6 ish rifle. My biggest question would be tapping either the front or back of the recoil lug. I seem to always read conflicting stories on this.
My other question would be are people screwing their actions down or tapping them down or using surgical tube to hold it down? I have seen a lot of stuff on you tube so I'm at a loss when it comes to what is the proper way and what is not.
I will be using a Bell and Carlson stock and Devcon epoxy for the bedding material.
I also have access to a milling machine at work to rough up the stock and knock down the bedding block to insure no metal on metal contact.
Thanks in advance.

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
If it has a bedding block are you going mill out the action screw holes and insert pillars? What your talking about doing is slim bedding. Which is no more effective than bedding only the rear tang and recoil lug which is what I would recommend. But first I would see first how well the gun shoots with handloads before doing anything to the stock. I wouldn’t be surprised if it shoots well enough without anything

UtahJimmy

WKR
Tape goes on the front (muzzle side) of the lug and sides. You want the rear to be up against the bedding so there is no gap when the round is detonated. This will transfer all the energy through the stock.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

howl

WKR
Tapping or taping? I'm confused.

I replace the action screws with bolts that I cut the head off. That lines it up and I strap it together with surgical tubing.

OP
Azone

Azone

WKR
Tapping or taping? I'm confused.

I replace the action screws with bolts that I cut the head off. That lines it up and I strap it together with surgical tubing.

Tape as in masking tape. Auto spell got me on that one.

Your going to get a million different responses. I find that prep is the biggest factor in how well the job turns out. Test fit everything many times and get it perfect before ever adding compound. Use studs with tape and release agent to align the action in the stock holes. You can rough up the bedding block and rear pillar and also set the action height in the stock.
Tape the front of the lug.
I tape off a lot of the stock to avoid bedding drips from sticking on the outside and also apply liberal amounts of release agent to any part you don’t want anything on.
Once you have your devcon mixed and applied to the stock and everything set into the stock a simple wrap of electrical tape to keep it from tipping or moving is fine. Also tape the barrel with wraps of tape until it’s centered in the barrel channel at the forend.

16Bore

WKR
I only tape the bottom of the lug so it doesn’t “bottom out”, never the front or back. Hornady One Shot case lube as release agent. Devcon bedding. Pull the action into place with coated action screws, then back off the tourque as it cures. Run a toothpick along the barrel/stock before it cures where the goop runs out. After it cures, set it in your lap and hit the stock/action with the heel of your hand to break it free. Clean up areas of excess bedding. Lube the lug, reassemble, torque to spec.

And yes, there will be another 50 responses with 50 different ways to do it.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I use B&C stocks on most of my rifles. I've never glass bedded any of them(or any stock for that matter) and they're all accurate.

Prep work is your friend when you are bedding. Dont get in a rush.

I tape off the edges of the stock around the inlet, fill any screw holes in your action with clay, tape the front of the recoil plug area(side closest to muzzle).

Q-Tips with WD40 help out tremendously for cleanup of excess compound and as others have said Hornady one shot works well for a release agent on the screws and action(be generous)

I use the action screws and torque them 5 or 10in/lbs lighter than what I intend to use once it dries.

It also helps to cut into the stock to give the bedding compound a place to grab in the areas you plan on bedding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

archp625

WKR
I would try different ammo before I would bed the stock. That ammo isn't the best quality. I would go an buy three boxes of different ammo and my guess is you will have better groups than coreloks.