Glass Recommendations for Ruger Precision Rimfire .17HMR

ttubudd

FNG
Just picked up a ruger precision rimfire in .17 HMR. Looking for glass recommendations. Intended uses include: teaching kids how to shoot, shooting prairie dogs, varmints and hogs in the ear.

Budget +/- $500

Midway has a Crimson Trace 4-16 on sale for $299. Made in Japan. I have the 6-24 that was on Midway and it is excellent for the price. No zero stop and 3.15 inches of eye relief but other than that these scopes are very solid. With the 30 MOA cant on the Ruger I would imagine you could use the bottom end of the elevation as a basic to know how many revolutions you are at if the kids start turning knobs.

Here is link:https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020618738?pid=832126

The Arken SH4 Gen 2 4-16 would be a fun 22 scope. Much more features than needed perhaps and they are heavy. Under $400.

I’m curious what other options are out there as well as shooting 22’s with scopes are a ton of fun.

I’ve got a Nikon on mine. I can’t remember the model right now but it’s a 2nd FP with mil dot reticle and it was around $300 if I remember right. I think it’s a 4-12. I’ll try to remember to pull it out and look when I get home next week.

I have a Ziess Conquest 4.5-14x44 on mine. Really like it on the Ruger. It was swapped from another rifle. The side focus parallax adjustment is nice for precision shooting at rimfire ranges (we have a turtle problem and all I get are headshots at 25 - 75 yds). I think they were discontinued, but might be available used.... or something with similar features would be my suggestion.

It's a super fun rifle. Accurate. Great for teaching kids how to shoot. Really nice with a supressor too.

bigmooi

FNG
I bought a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP in MOA for 22LR RPRR. I ended up buying a used RPRR and it came with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP in MIL. I got this overall combo in case I want to try NRL22 Base class. The side focus is a nice feature as seen at the match I went to. The glass clarity is good for the class, my Leupold VX-3i 6.5-20x50 has better glass clarity but cost twice as much...

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

STAGHOUND

FNG
My Dad has a Ruger precision 22 mag which has a viper PST 2-10×32 on it. Which is a very accurate setup.

OP
ttubudd

ttubudd

FNG
Thanks guys. I ended up picking up a used Vortex Viper Gen 1 PST on here. Very similar to the glass on my 300 WM so I figure it'll be comfortable and if I don't like it I can move it to another centerfire rifle.