Glass suggestions

VA Hunter

FNG
Hello I am new to the forem. I have a savage model 16 270wsm as and need some suggestions for the best and easiest glass that is going to let me comfortably do some hunting out west say 400sh. I don’t know if this rifle would even be best suited.Would like to start a discussion for suggestions and guidance.

Geewhiz

WKR
My suggestion:

Affordable, great reviews, relatively lightweight. Of course this this depends on your budget, weight constraints, and a plethora of other factors.

About the best value I could find for a recent build. Plus its currently on sale.

270WSM is more than capable for western hunting

MeatBuck

WKR
Hello I am new to the forem. I have a savage model 16 270wsm as and need some suggestions for the best and easiest glass that is going to let me comfortably do some hunting out west say 400sh. I don’t know if this rifle would even be best suited.Would like to start a discussion for suggestions and guidance.
Do just a smidgen of google research on your caliber and model, scroll through the optics forum and if you still have questions, use the search button. Now if you still have questions based on your newly found knowledge and research, then come back and ask them. You will better be able to converse on the topic and not be confused by terms, acronyms and suggestions folks may have or use.

Not knowing that .270wsm is fine for western big game hunting tells me that you’ve come here with no prior knowledge of the situation you are getting into.

That said, any 3-9x40 will do fine for hunting under 400yds.

That said, why did u post this in the long range hunting forUm?

ericwh

WKR
If you are planning on holding over out to 400, I can recommend a used Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 with the HSR-4 reticle. There is on one ebay and, I believe, one in the classifieds (not affiliated).

It is a lightweight optic with capped turrets and side parallax adjustment. The HSR-4 reticle has moa hashes you can use for holding elevation and/or windage.

Qualifier: The reticle is pretty thin. Sometimes in fading light I wish it were thicker.

If you plan on dialing have to look at something else.

A lot of good scopes out there and everyone has their favorites. I really like the 4.5-14x40mm Leupold I have on my 280AI. It has the B&C reticle which is something I also like. It is fast and simple to use. The 3.5-10x40mm Leupold with the same reticle would work just as well. I have a lot of faith in the 6x42mm Leupold fixed power and most of my rifles have fixed power scopes on them. I haven't felt handicapped with them either.

My son has a Zeiss Conquest on his 300 WSM and that sure is a sweet scope also. It too has a similar reticle to be used for distance shooting. These all have served us well.

Wapiti1

WKR
probably 5-600$ do they make anything caliber specific?
Caliber specific is load specific and also conditions specific (elevation, temp, etc). Change any of those and caliber specific is now missing the target. Not a good recipe for consistent success. Same goes for getting a turret cut like on a Leupold CDS scope. Change something and your turret isn't so good anymore.

I would suggest you get a scope that has MIL turrets and reticle (or no special reticle, it isn't needed) and learn the MIL system. It's easier to use than MOA and I think is easier to learn.

For a low cost effective scope, the SWFA offerings are great. If 400-500 is your limit their 3-9 or 6X would be solid. Pair that with some range time and a ballistic app. Then learn how it all works.

Jeremy

Forest

WKR
Meoptoa would be where I'd look first at that price range. But I've also had great luck with the leupold vx3i series scopes for the money. Something like a 3-9, 3.5-10, 4.5-14 etc range will suit you well.
If you decide to spend a little more the v4 series from zeiss has been awesome

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

BigRutt

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the exact same boat but looking in the $1000 range. If anyone has any ideas. Right now im looking at the shv, vx5hd, and some vortex scopes pst, amg, razor gen ii

Bater

WKR
If dialing 3-9 SWFA, if using windshield there are plenty of suitable set and forget options.

FFastEddie

Lil-Rokslider
Swfa, vortex, sightron, they are all great. You might wanna look into Arken. Great glass, very reasonable but, they are hard to find.
Primary arms makes great glass as well.