Glasses or Contact Lenses?

Squeekie...things just got a bit more complicated. I apparently have an astigmatism. I didn't really even know what that was yesterday.

I have read just up a bit and understand some contacts use a ballast design (weighted edge) to keep them aligned properly and some use a "blink stabilized" design. What is the best way to go. I don't always hold my head level, in fact when glassing animals I am occasionally laying on my side. What are your thoughts?

If I have to pull them out each night, I would rather buy a daily disposable, even if the cost is a bit higher.

Depending on the amount of astigmatism you have you may or may not need CL, send me a PM with your Rx and we can discuss it more.

This difference between the two types is essentially marketing. "ballast, blink, prism" are all marketing buzz words to try and sound different. Essentially they all work in generally the same way.... the bottom is a bit thicker, causeing gravity to pull on them AND it causes your upper lid to center them up by adding pressure (think of a watermelon seed that you squeeze between your fingers to shoot across the room... same idea, your lid squezes the thick part of the lens to center it.)

research and shopping online will help... but to be honest, it desont matter what one you like the marketing for, it ultimately comes down to what works with your eye. You DO NOT have to pick a lens on your first day... in fact, your doc will fit you with what he feels is best based on your eye, rx and needs, and then you will wear it for a week or 2. You will then retun to the office and see how it is going. If it is not working, you will try either a new Rx or a new brand depending on what needs to change. I guess what I am getting at is this.... Don't get too worked up about what lens or lens design you are going to try, work with your doctor to see what works best for your eye.

Dailies are a great option, most astigmatism lenses should be take out every night. Most are approved to be slept in, but when a lens dries out with astigmatism, the vision can get squirrely....so most are safe enough to sleep in, but in reality it doesnt always work. Again, it will come down to your eye, environment, and usage to determine what will work best for you.

Joe

Ok I have been wearing contacts for about 20+ years and have been debating getting the eye surgery done. What do I look for and what questions do I ask? Which procedure is best? Etc.... You guys have me freaking out about my contacts now. Lol

1) do not bargain shop, get the best equipment from a well reviewed establishment that is willing to work with you for your lifetime.
2) look for "blade-less" "wavefront" and "custom" Lasik procedures. These have the least complications and best visual outcomes, also, many "custom" lasik procedures come with lifetime enhancements if needed.
3) Talk to your doctor to see if you are even a candidate... If not you can stop worrying, if you are, you can start saving $.

hit me up with any more specific questions

Joe