Glassing pad options

K1United

Well Known Rokslider
So far I’ve gone through the thermarest z-seat and lite seat, klymit’s v-seat, and a few cheap REI versions. Now I’m using the sea to summit Delta SI V seat and so far I like it the best.

strongarm

@Rwolf
I use a small self-inflating trail seat. There are lots of options for those in the market. They pack up small and tuck away fast. I keep it in a cargo pocket of my hunting pants and every time I stop for a sit, be it on the ground, log or rock, a few breaths in addition to its own action inflates it in seconds.

On days I plan to glass for extended periods, I carry a lightweight stool, usually in conjunction with the trail seat. It’s far more forgiving on the body and I think makes it easier to keep your eye in the glass for extended periods with little weight penalty.

Last edited:

SocalRoadHunter

Love the pack-ability of the z seat. I also have a phoenix shooting bag cushion that is an upgrade in comfort. It is very light, but is better strapped to the outside of the pack due to its size.

JordanM

I have used the REI inflatable with good luck in AK and the cold. Currently using the Klymit V-seat due to being 2.6oz, but unsure if I will just cut my foam thermarest and use that for the extra width which is the downfall of the inflatable klymit.

Desk Jockey

Well Known Rokslider
I will second z seat or a cut z rest.

another option worth looking at is the matty mcmatface by seek. You get a thin sleeping pad and ground sheet in one and can double it over as a sit pad. I like mine a lot.

EdP

Well Known Rokslider
I cut a 72" thermarest z-pad in half giving me 2 36" pads. I use a 36" as a seat and as a second layer (over a 72") for my torso when sleeping. The 36" can be used full length if on snow/wet stuff or doubled up for more padding. 36" is also long enough for an overnight pad in an emergency, depending on your height.