Glassing pad options

strongarm

FNG
@Rwolf
I use a small self-inflating trail seat. There are lots of options for those in the market. They pack up small and tuck away fast. I keep it in a cargo pocket of my hunting pants and every time I stop for a sit, be it on the ground, log or rock, a few breaths in addition to its own action inflates it in seconds.

On days I plan to glass for extended periods, I carry a lightweight stool, usually in conjunction with the trail seat. It’s far more forgiving on the body and I think makes it easier to keep your eye in the glass for extended periods with little weight penalty.

Last edited:

BluMtn

WKR
This what I have been using for several years now. Tough and when there is snow on the ground it keeps your rearend dry and warm. Strap it to the back of my pack for easy retrieval.

Love the pack-ability of the z seat. I also have a phoenix shooting bag cushion that is an upgrade in comfort. It is very light, but is better strapped to the outside of the pack due to its size.

JordanM

FNG
I have used the REI inflatable with good luck in AK and the cold. Currently using the Klymit V-seat due to being 2.6oz, but unsure if I will just cut my foam thermarest and use that for the extra width which is the downfall of the inflatable klymit.

I will second z seat or a cut z rest.

another option worth looking at is the matty mcmatface by seek. You get a thin sleeping pad and ground sheet in one and can double it over as a sit pad. I like mine a lot.

EdP

WKR
I cut a 72" thermarest z-pad in half giving me 2 36" pads. I use a 36" as a seat and as a second layer (over a 72") for my torso when sleeping. The 36" can be used full length if on snow/wet stuff or doubled up for more padding. 36" is also long enough for an overnight pad in an emergency, depending on your height.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I had an inflatable REI pad for many years that developed a slow leak and went to the Big Agnes TwisterCane Bio Foam Hiking Seat. I do carry a lightweight(ish) backpacking chair that if I'm sitting for awhile, I will deploy, but for quick sit, the pad is quick, light and comfy.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ve used a ton of pads for decades, and once I switched to a chair I’ll never go back.

Big Agnes Skyline UL is wonderful.

bond111

FNG
Hillsound BTR stool if you wanna be off the ground just a bit, and want to pack something that weighs between 11.2-14.1 oz(14” or 17” version)

The pillows are nice. I have had great luck with the durability of the OV pillow. Sat in the rocks, tree stumps and never an issue. My buddy is about 300 lbs and sat on the rocks with no problem.
Another budget option is the black foam seat pad from Walmart. They are about $6 and very light. Usually in the Mossy Oak stuff.
I’ve thought about using those as seats, but didn’t think they could take it. Might have to give it a try.

Do you inflate it all the way or only partially, and is that what you use for a pillow too?

I’ve thought about using those as seats, but didn’t think they could take it. Might have to give it a try.

Do you inflate it all the way or only partially, and is that what you use for a pillow too?
I don’t inflate it much at all. Maybe three small breaths. I don’t want pink eye so I do not use it as a pillow. Google free outdoor vital pillow. I got two and just paid shipping.

4-6 sections of Z rest is one of my most used items for hunting/backpacking. I use it as a sit pad for the ground or stand, extra/backup sleeping pad, dry area to stage gear, etc. the ounce or two over a z-seat is definitely worth it for added cusion and size so I’m not paranoid about slipping off of it onto wet ground. If you cut off 4-6 sections you also have enough left for 1-2 other pads or a torso sized sleeping pad?

I don’t inflate it much at all. Maybe three small breaths. I don’t want pink eye so I do not use it as a pillow. Google free outdoor vital pillow. I got two and just paid shipping.
Thanks. I already have one but don’t use it anymore as I got a slightly larger pillow that I like better.

Will have to give it a try.