Glassing pad options

JordanM

FNG
I’ve used a ton of pads for decades, and once I switched to a chair I’ll never go back.

Big Agnes Skyline UL is wonderful.
Thoughts on the Chair Zero from helinox? It’s 17oz. Still wanting to pull the trigger for an upcoming backpack hunt in ID where I have a feeling I’ll be glassing a lot. Just trying to justify the weight. I plan on using a hammock and if I ditch my cut z-seat and tyvek tarp from my pack I am only adding 7oz to my pack. I plan to use as a ground sheet if I can’t string my hammock or to put my pack on to keep dry, but the thought of having a chair for extended glassing periods intrigues me. How much does that BA chair weight?

Thoughts on the Chair Zero from helinox? It’s 17oz. Still wanting to pull the trigger for an upcoming backpack hunt in ID where I have a feeling I’ll be glassing a lot. Just trying to justify the weight. I plan on using a hammock and if I ditch my cut z-seat and tyvek tarp from my pack I am only adding 7oz to my pack. I plan to use as a ground sheet if I can’t string my hammock or to put my pack on to keep dry, but the thought of having a chair for extended glassing periods intrigues me. How much does that BA chair weight?
I have found myself using my Chair Zero less and less. Even on dedicated backpacking trips, I may only sit in it for 10 minutes and have debated leaving it at home.

For glassing, it is only practical if your glassing area is flat. These chairs do not do well on uneven ground. What are the odds that the spot you find to glass isn’t on a slope?…guessing it is low. Better off bringing something to sit on and rigging your pack up as a back rest.

JordanM

FNG
That’s my thought as well. Just thought a chair could keep my pack and boots off the ground as well. But totally agree on the terrain limiting glassing options. Having a chair just really extended my glassing comfort on my hunt beginning in Sept and also allowed me to get above the grass as well. But ID should be different than AK.

Poser

WKR
I have found myself using my Chair Zero less and less. Even on dedicated backpacking trips, I may only sit in it for 10 minutes and have debated leaving it at home.

For glassing, it is only practical if your glassing area is flat. These chairs do not do well on uneven ground. What are the odds that the spot you find to glass isn’t on a slope?…guessing it is low. Better off bringing something to sit on and rigging your pack up as a back rest.

Same conclusion. I had high hopes for it, but it doesn’t put you in a great position for glassing. Also, when your posterior chain is fatigued and/or tight from backpacking all day, you almost have to fall into it to sit down as getting in and out is basically equivalent to doing a ATG box squat. Mine had been relegated to something I keep in the truck. I’ve been liking the Crazy Creek better.

^ I’m packing in a crazy creek this year. Slides right between bag and frame of my pintler. Can also double as extra sleep pad.

Last year I brought a lightweight three leg stool, and it worked but found myself wanting some back support in the evenings. And bending way over to cook was not the best after walking all day.

I use a Teton Sports inflatable with a custom-made foam-lined naugahyde cover to reduce the chance of cactus needles puncturing it. Pretty nifty set up.

Lil-Rokslider
I made my own chair to use while hunting/backpacking.

Attachments

• 4F7A60E2-906B-489B-A074-A4533F85121A.jpeg
    4F7A60E2-906B-489B-A074-A4533F85121A.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 386B6AE8-2DB7-48D6-9D6F-1B9911DEA362.jpeg
    386B6AE8-2DB7-48D6-9D6F-1B9911DEA362.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 5E683B05-7EDE-4D13-89BD-8CAD1E5F7351.jpeg
    5E683B05-7EDE-4D13-89BD-8CAD1E5F7351.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 5D396D91-90E1-413F-9081-D7CAF17F3575.jpeg
    5D396D91-90E1-413F-9081-D7CAF17F3575.jpeg
    301 KB · Views: 82

Lil-Rokslider
I never seen or heard of a Kifaru ground chair. Thanks for the kind words!

browncow

FNG
I'm tired of using my Z rest. Even with 4 panels and plenty of meat it's hard to stay comfortable on the rocks for 6-8 hrs of glassing. Just bought a Big Agnes twister seat, have yet to test it out but seems like it's higher density than the z rest doubled over on itself

Dsnow9

FNG
I have the crazy creek hex. It rolls right up and gives a back rest for those long sits. It also doubles as a good nap pad or shooting pad. Makes other peoples lower backs jealous when I whip it out for long glassing sessions.

OP
Rwolf

Rwolf

FNG
Update... I bought a cheap foam sleeping pad off of campfire and cut it in half to make 2 pads. It worked GREAT! Much better than the little Kuiu pads and much cheaper. It weighs almost nothing but gives you enough room to prop up against a rock for a backrest and it keeps your legs dry and off the dirt. Definitely one of the best upgrades I made this year.

broeske7

FNG
Z seat has never failed me, light and takes no space strapped under my pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk