Glassing Pad

treillw

WKR
Time for me to replace my glassing butt pad. What is your favorite?

Thanks!

matthewmt

WKR
I just got a thermarest z seat in coyote brown and used it the first time yesterday, really comfy, warm and light.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Partial section of a z-lite pad.

this for me too; I have a couple of their z-seats and while certainly lighter and smaller- I've found I prefer the full 20" and a longer length better for glassing in the cold

mine is 4 sections so almost exactly 20x20" and only 4 oz

MtnMuley

WKR
Nemo Switchback pad in short, cut in half. Makes two 5 section pads. Orange on one side and silver on the other. Silver side up seems to gather heat. Weighs ounces with plenty of space to keep you padded/dry. On sale at $28 / free shipping, ends up at $14 a piece.

Trr15

WKR
Not in the ultralight category, but check out the glassing seat from Phoenix shooting bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thermarest z seat for me. Reasonably priced and lightweight. I tried the klymit inflatable one last year but it wasn't as comfortable and it got a hole pretty quick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BluMtn

WKR
This is what I use and highly recommend it. I have been using mine for three years now and it still looks new. You can through it on the snow sit down and your rearend stays warm. If you have prickly pears to contend with worry no more because you can through it down and sit on it without worrying about getting poked.

https://thermaseat.com/product/heat-seat/

I was using a cutoff portion of a thermarest pad until a buddy got me a z-lite pad. That thing sure is nice. Folds up and stows away just about anywhere. I quit using anything inflatable years ago because they always popped.

Thermarest light seat for me. Just got done patching it again LOL, but I like it. I have a bright color orange so i don’t lose it and can strap on back of pack when I want to be seen.

ebubedike

FNG
I just carry a 16"X16" piece of closed cell foam. Cheap, light doesn't hardly take up any room.

Trial153

WKR
The z seat doenst do much for me except keep my ass dry ...otherwise adds no comfort at all

I always have a cut-off piece of Z-Lite padding attached to my pack. However, I rarely use a pad for glassing due to cactus and other plants with spines. A tripod stool or Helinox chair gets the nod the majority of the time.

I think that a closed cell foam pad wouldn't absorb water, or at least not much. You could also use a Thermarest pad in one of thos seat things you put it in. Or a Crazy Creek shair pad. It has 2 pads folded over. You open it up and there are straps on the sides to adjust to your liking. It also provides some abck support - a plus for long sits if a soft rock (yeah, right) or a tree isn't handy. The Thermarst things have this feature also.