Glassing Pad

Pro953

WKR
Searched around a bit but could not find a thread on this.

Does anyone use a butt pad while glassing. Pull my man card if you want but I find when I sit on rocks or damp dirt while glassing I get cold pretty fast. Would like something small and light to use for a long sit. Figure I could sow something up. Not sure a inflatable pillow could take my weight.

Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
Sad as it sounds, I never thought of just cutting up one of my old therma rest pads. Will give that a shot. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh man, would not leave home without it. Z lite cut down, plus you can use it for a splint, a doormat for your tent and I wad mine up and use it for a rear bag when shooting. You can make it about any shape you want.

Randy

16Bore

WKR
Z Lite. Tie a length of shock cord around both ends and you can unfold it into two halves. Best seat in the woods.

Carlin59

WKR
I use a cheap (~$15) closed cell foam pad, cut in half. usually roll it up to sit on a rock, or spread out for more of a lay back/lounging position. At night, it goes under the middle of my air pad to act as extra abrasion/punction resistance. I take this little foam half-pad with me for everything, from summer bacpacking, to backpack hunting, to day hunting. Numerous uses for little expense.

Squirrels

WKR
Amazon has some pads that you can get a two pack for like 8 bucks, way cheaper than the z lite. Probably not as good but way cheaper.

rarely am i in the woods without the z-rest seat shoved in my pack. it also gives you a nice place to kneel when you're cutting up an animal. sometimes if i'm pulling bits of gear out of the pack i'll just throw it down to lay stuff on so i don't walk off and leave anything. or if i'm getting out of the tent in the morning i'll throw it down in the vestibule to have somewhere dry to put my feet before my boots go on.

Titan

WKR
Walmart has a self-inflating camo pad that rolls up pretty small. They are only $10 or so but I noticed they are on clearance for only $1 along with other hunting gear.

If I am gonna be glassing for hours and the country isn't brutal, I take my Helinox chair. Makes glassing much easier on my old butt.

I spent an entire day on the ground glassing one spot without a pad or chair and my expression here says it all.

endorice

Lil-Rokslider
Walmart has a self-inflating camo pad that rolls up pretty small. They are only $10 or so but I noticed they are on clearance for only $1 along with other hunting gear.
Anything inflatable makes for a bad seat because it will inevitably be punctured :)