Glassing point entrance

street

WKR
Interested to hear peoples strategies on how you enter the spot you plan to glass in the morning. I think first off you need a spot, of course, and then you plan out your route. But I'm wondering what are some things you're thinking about as you plan your route so you try and get in there pretty stealthy? Obviously you don't want to get sky-lined, so stay below summit if you need to.

Curious to hear others opinions and tactics!

BluMtn

WKR
O Dark Thirty. Be in your spot before daylight. Otherwise use as much cover as possible until you get to your location.

As Blumtn said, goin in in the dark and get to the spot and settled in at least 1/2 hour before first light to let the area settle.

Why are you trying to sneak up on your glassing spot? Worries it’ll blow out of there and leave you with nothing but a hole to stare up out of?

My glassing spots are vantage points that allow me to glass (aka “look for an animal to hunt” ) into the areas I’m interested in hunting. I like to be set up a little bi before it gets light enough to glass and an hour or two before it gets too dark so that I take advantage of glassing peak movement time.

If you have valid reason to sneak up on your glassing spot like deer or elk use it or something- you should consider either hunting it - or maybe finding a place a 1/4 to 1/2 mile or mile or so away that allows you line of sight and glassing IT. It may be a good place to hunt.

Think of it like this- If occupying your vantage point is going to influence animal movement or behavior- it’s not that great a place to watch from. The entire point of glassing is Being able to locate animals without applying pressure because pressure makes their movement less predictable and more certain.

Last edited:
Check the wind! Wind in your face if possible or at least not blowing into your area or expected area where animals are going to come from. You’ll be sight seeing if you don’t check the wind.

gofast23

FNG
How much effort do you put into concealing yourself while glassing? I plan to get up against some trees, but I'm not sure it will be the best vantage point. If I have to move to a more open spot, how much reliance can I place on being at a higher elevation on another ridge without deer picking up on movement?