glassing southeast in the morning?

sk1

WKR
So one of the major basins I plan on spending considerable time glassing this year, I will be looking pretty much directly southeast. This will be my first season really getting behind some glass and letting it do some walking for me...what do you guys think, will it give me enough time to see well if im there before first light ready to glass? The ridge on the opposite side doesn't really provide the view angles I'm looking for, and I know I've tried to glass to the east in the mornings and the second the sun pops over the ridge I obviously have issues. I am hoping the angle is enough to give me a little time.

Just curious on your thoughts if that direction might give me a couple hours or if I should maybe only use that spot in the evening

Last edited:

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Is there another basin to look at in the mornings? I like to have the sun going directly on and not behind what i am glassing.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
there are, just quite a bit of distance to go back and forth between them, but it might have to be done for better viewing i guess maybe ill have to start looking at a better plan

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not much you can do as sun first comes over the ridge, but as it gets a little higher in the sky, find some shade so your lenses are not in direct sunlight - this helps a lot. If the air is clear you can make it work although your contrast is going to be much worse than normal. If there's smoke in the air or a lot of dust you may be wasting your time. Make sure your lenses are spotless as this can make a huge difference when looking into the sun - especially if your lenses are going to be in direct sunlight.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
To add to Darin's good advice: Make sure to use your spotter's sunshade, and tuck yourself back under some overhead shade, like a sniper's hide.

And yes, a pretty good angle should be much better than directly into the sun.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
thanks for the input guys as always, good to know if that is my best vantage point there are things to do that can help