Glassing tarp options

Hey guys,

Im in the market for a glassing tarp. I would prefer something lightweight, but big enough to not be claustrophobic if I have to bust it out. With that said, it’s for glassing so it also doesn’t need to be super burly.

I’m currently considering the SO DST. I took a look at the sheep tarp from Kifaru but it seems small for what you get.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? Would prefer to keep it at or under 20oz total. Lighter is better obviously.

thanks.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
SO DST is a good one. I don't no of anyone else that has the center patch like they do. It makes the tarp very usable because you're able to pitch it in several different ways. I also like the Warbonnet Minifly. It's a hammock tarp but you can still pitch it in A frame or lean to mode.

There are tarps on Amazon for less than $100 that weigh less than 20 ounces that could hold three people.

Dst is 10x10. I used mine for a sun shade for 3 last year in the Grand Canyon. I think you could sleep 3 in a pinch and I have slept 2 under mine and been comfortable.

I think mine is 1.5 pounds with lines attached. Call it 2# with stakes.

I think it would work fine for a glassing tarp. Some might even say overkill.

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
The sheep tarp is small: it's perfect for 1 and 2 in a pinch. It's the kind of thing I keep in my pack all the time, and find a million uses for, but it isn't something I'd want a group of guys under for any amount of time.

The DST is a great tarp, but I'm in the "overkill" camp on that one for a glassing tarp. Great pack-in shelter though.

If money is no object (and I mean _seriously_ no object), the Hyperlite Mountain Gear 8x10 would be my choice for glassing.

It isn't hard to find a light silnylon 10x10 that'll do the job for a good price, though.

HuntnPack

WKR
SO DST is great glassing tarp. I prefer the size, Can be pitched several ways. Some times the extra length is handy when you gotta anchor it down & still have room.
plenty of room for 2. I can set mine up &
Get my gear (rifle, tripod, backpack, binos,food,etc) all laid out for long glassing sessions, or waiting out some weather.
mine serves double duty as a sleep shelter.