"Glassing" with non-wide zoom spotter

ToolMann

WKR
I've read a lot on here but not this exact question, so here goes: In the market for a spotter. Have settled on the Kowa 773 or Swaro ATS 65. The bigger objective of the Kowa is nice, as is the lighter weight of the Swaro. Have an offer on one of the two right now as I know we'd be happy with either, but man this decision is hard. Although a joint anniversary gift, this is mainly for my wife. She is a spotting fool with binos. She does get bored though and wants to be able to play with a spotter. I have no doubt she'll spend a few hours straight looking as far as she can see when hunting (my knees start hurting every time she say's "see that deer"). In the used Swaro world it seems most of the ATS 65's are being sold with the 20-60X eye piece; it is also cheaper if buying new. So question is, how is spotting, not just picking apart a rack for a few mins, with the non-wide angle eye pieces? I'm thinking you could turn down the power and be ok; but if it really is that much better with the wide angle that is what I want to get.

Thanks in advance.

TM

sneaky

"DADDY"
I own a 773 with the WA zoom. I don't know that I could ever go back to a standard zoom eyepiece. I wouldn't mind having the 30X fixed WA eyepiece, I've heard good things about it. You can't go wrong with either of the spotters you are looking at. Do you REALLY want your wife spotting deer that far out? Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
Swarovski. The 25-50 lens is a better lens overall than the 20-60 and worth the extra $$ IMO. It's not just the wider angle it's a brighter clearer lens and more even more noticeable on a 65 than the 80's. I sold my last 20-60 last summer and only own 25-50's now. 60x on a 65 was rarely usable anyway. If you end up with one you'll find you'll back off the power except for the rare perfect days. I still own a discontinued fixed 30W lens and never used again after moving to the 25-50 when they were first released.

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
Thanks, fellas. Almost talked myself into "settling" for a non-WA o found locally. I'll be patient and wait for a WA.

Do you REALLY want your wife spotting deer that far out? Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not exactly, but it keeps her busy on those long sits, and that is worth it! 😉

Blue72

WKR
Glassing with a spotter?

that often requires lower magnification, at that point you might as well get 15x56 binoculars

you can thank me later

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
Glassing with a spotter?

that often requires lower magnification, at that point you might as well get 15x56 binoculars

you can thank me later
Those are next on my list. I need/want a spotter for the range too. So sort of dual purpose. Spotter won't be the primary glassing tool, but I know she'll spen ample time behind it.

Few people (they truly are lucky SOBs) can effectively glass with a spotting scope for extended periods of time. Wearing an eye patch works for some; if your wife goes this route you are obligated with making pirate jokes about plundering her booty.

I've tried doing it with my STX 65/95 and Kowa 554 but found it is not for me. I use my SLC 10s or 15s (depending on where I am) to glass and swap over to one of my spotters for confirmations.

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
Few people (they truly are lucky SOBs) can effectively glass with a spotting scope for extended periods of time. Wearing an eye patch works for some; if your wife goes this route you are obligated with making pirate jokes about plundering her booty.

I've tried doing it with my STX 65/95 and Kowa 554 but found it is not for me. I use my SLC 10s or 15s (depending on where I am) to glass and swap over to one of my spotters for confirmations.
Pirate jokes are guaranteed.

Worst case she doesn't like staring through it one eyed and requests a bino upgrade later. Or I give her mine and get me a new upgrade 😏

Sankuh

FNG
Thanks, fellas. Almost talked myself into "settling" for a non-WA o found locally. I'll be patient and wait for a WA.

Not exactly, but it keeps her busy on those long sits, and that is worth it! 😉
Which one did you end up going with?