Glock 19 Holster for Elk Hunting

Hey I am looking for some options on carrying my Glock 19 out archery hunting in CO this year. Two years ago had a bad run in with a cat the required a warning shot so I will be carrying full time now. Believe me I was the first guy to leave the pistol at camp before. I am running an exo mtn pack and could potentially run and IWB holster on my right hip between the hip belt and pad. Or an OWB using the hip belt. Both these options leave me empty handed whenever I am not wearing my pack. I also have a FHF Bono harness and saw the Razco holster that incorporates to that system. Just wondering if anyone has experience with any of these methods or has more ideas I’m missing.

kopecsean

FNG
Hoskins Holsters. Made here in Idaho! It's with you with or without your pack. Chest holster. Cuts right behind my bio harness.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
I like my Razco holster.

You can get one that attaches to a FHF bino harness or a standard chest/IWB/OWB holster.

I have mentioned this elsewhere but I prefer hip carry. I use a rigid extender on my pants belt called a UBL from Safariland ($20) that drops the holster below my belt line and pack belt. Other companies (gcode, Blackhawk) make similar gadgets. You can bolt up any holster with a three hole attachment pattern from there - safariland, Comp Tac, g code, Blackhawk - I favor an open top safariland with their ALS retention system and a bit of bungee cord for extra security in nasty bush.

Upside for me is I have my pistol even if I remove my pack and bino harness. Down side is you have to remove your pants belt to take it off if you like And it is practically only accessible strong side handed.

snel6424

FNG
It really depends on where you want to carry. I have heard really good things about the Razco holsters, if you wanna carry it on your chest.
If you want to keep it on your body when you take your pack off, I suggest doing what Desk Jockey said and getting a Safariland holster and either getting a UBL, or a Micro Aggression Panel from Gunfighters inc and a Safariland MLS 15 to drop it from your waist line a bit.

The Microaggression panel is pretty neat, as it keeps any uneccesary bulk from getting pushed into your side from your pack hip belt.

Vandy321

WKR
Search for Gunfighters Inc Kenai chest holster on here, the reviews speak for themselves.

Kydex, comfy harness and can be worn (and still draw) from under a bino harness. I wear the Kenai slightly lower than my bino harness and I can draw and re-holster my G19 perfectly.

Screenshot_20210221-103220_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I started with safariland on my pack belt, but it wasn’t ideal for ease of draw and there was a lot of play while drawing. It was a good holster, just not for me. My solution was a Gunfighters Inc Kenai holster which sits directly underneath my fhf harness. That setup has worked phenomenally for me. The only PITA is adding or dropping layers, but I figure I have to take off my pack, tube and harness already anyway what’s one more thing. I’ve heard good things about razco, but have zero experience with them.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Gunfighters Inc Kenai chest holster is the solution. Always on you. Out of the way of bowstrings. Rides with a chest pack if you use one. Doesn’t interfere with shoulder straps or waist belt. So comfortable and out of the way that at the end of a hard mountain hunting day I’d forget the thing is on even after dropping my pack. It simply works.

VASolocam

FNG
I started tearing my Glock 20 on my hip belt using one of the Elezar Mollie holsters available from Dale Fricke. Then I switched to using a razor holster on my Bino harness for two years. I like the idea of always having my gun with me but hated all of the weight hanging on my neck. I finally went back to wearing it on the hip belt. Nice thing about that particular holster is that I can easily slide it off the hip belt and wear it was just a regular belt around camp.