Glock 20 Holster Comfortable w/ Backpack

treillw

WKR
What is the best way to carry a Glock 20 on your pants belt while wearing a backpack hipbelt?

I've read a lot of these threads, seen lots of different ideas, and tried lots myself. Pretty sure I want to stick to the good old fashioned gun on the pants belt though. I have a S&W 500 that I have carried around for hundreds of miles on my belt. The holster drops down away from the belt to give the backpack hip belt a little room to sneak above the gun (see pic below). It's not the most comfortable thing in the world, but by the end of the hunting season, I can't even feel that I'm wearing it. I'm really glad Sitka includes suspenders with their timberline pants - work great for helping to hold this 4.5 pound beast up!

That being said, sometimes I would like to cut some weight and I want to get a Glock 20 for this application. I am essentially carrying a rifle on my hip with the 500. The ability to add a weapon light to the G20 is a big plus as well. Both have pros and cons. Anyway... what would be a good setup for carrying the G20 in a similar fashion? Something to offset the holster or to drop it down out of the way of the hipbelt.

I have been considering the Gunfighters INC Ronin with their Micro Aggression Thigh Panel. Part of me is worried that the leg strap will saw my leg off after a bunch of miles, but the salesmen at GFI assured me that it is comfortable and that the leg strap doesn't need to be too tight. I'm just wondering if you guys have any thoughts on this, or know of something better.

https://www.amazon.com/GunfightersINC-Micro-Aggression-Thigh-Panel/dp/B01L0I2EPE

I do have one of their chest holsters for another gun. I'm not incredibly thrilled with it. It squeaks like crazy, rubs the daylights out of my neck with the shoulder strap, and restricts my breathing if I have it too tight. That pressure point on your chest isn't the most comfortable thing after about two days either.

I appreciate any advice! Thanks!

20200601_195853.jpg

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
This might not be bad:

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I guess I should mention that I'd like an RMR and weapon light on the gun as well.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
RTI holster from ANR design or Gcode with Gcode rti optimal drop mount. Will sit low enough below your pack belt but not so low you need a strap around your thigh to draw it quickly (if a holster is to low, it won't draw well, will pull away from your body). Can take gun with holster on/off belt attachment without taking belt and entire thing off. I carry a g20 with light in this set up, hundreds of miles on it with pack, best solution I've found.

crossone

FNG
I’ve seen a lot of security guards carry full size Glocks on drop holsters so there must be good ones out there. I generally put my G20 on my pack belt but recognize that parting from it can leave me vulnerable. Love my G20, it’s heavy with a full mag but it’s so simple and full of ammo I just love it.

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
The Safariland GLS 578 Pro-Fit holster with paddle is what I have been using for my Glock 20. It easily transitions from the pack belt to your pants belt when you take your backpack off. The paddle attachment securely mounts the holster to the pack belt with the included “catch” located in the paddle opening. That “catch” secures to the PALS/MOLLY webbing and or your pants belt.
You can get very fast draws from the holster with this design as your index finger naturally activates the release upon establishing a good firing grip on the weapon.
There also appears to be enough space to have an RMR mounted though I do not have one on mine. It is not light compatible though.
I use this holster every time I am in the field and brought it with me to Kodiak this last fall.

mtnkid85

WKR
Ive been playing with a GFI micro aggression panel with a G17 sized gun. So far Im relatively pleased with it, its a million times better than those cheap nylon drop rigs. It drops enough to get my Exo belt on over it with a day pack load in it, but with a heavy load Im sure the waist belt would sag down enough to be uncomfortable. With the velcro top straps it would be easy enough to pull it off your pants belt and slap it onto the packs belt while your packing meat.

I don't have alot of miles on it yet, so I won't speak about that yet.

Ive thought about ditching the leg strap and trying like a bungee cord type material. Something that would give more movement while hiking but still allow for a smooth draw. One thing i noticed wasn't some much chafing but just the bunching up of my pants. Which I think would lead to chafing eventually.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Ive been playing with a GFI micro aggression panel with a G17 sized gun. So far Im relatively pleased with it, its a million times better than those cheap nylon drop rigs. It drops enough to get my Exo belt on over it with a day pack load in it, but with a heavy load Im sure the waist belt would sag down enough to be uncomfortable. With the velcro top straps it would be easy enough to pull it off your pants belt and slap it onto the packs belt while your packing meat.

I don't have alot of miles on it yet, so I won't speak about that yet.

Ive thought about ditching the leg strap and trying like a bungee cord type material. Something that would give more movement while hiking but still allow for a smooth draw. One thing i noticed wasn't some much chafing but just the bunching up of my pants. Which I think would lead to chafing eventually.

Keep me posted on how you like it. Hike 30 miles for me this weekend! :ROFLMAO:

Blade Tech drop offset holster. I can carry my Mystery Ranch with a full load in it and the hip belt does not push down on my belt or the holster. There is a company by the name of Red River tactical that also makes a holster that can be bolted to the Blade Tech setup if you want to put a tlr 1 light on the Glock 20. That is what I'm running right now during my spring bear hunts. The cut for the holster from Red River will support a RMR sight without issue.

Bladetech and safariland and a few other make a rigid drop panel that will get your holster below your hip belt without the need for a leg strap. Safariland also make RMR cut holsters but they are not the lightest. The Drop adapters have a bolt pattern that allows you to attach most Kydex holsters easily. The safariland version is called a UBL and is $20.

at the risk of repeating myself, my experience in the military would suggest that a thigh rig, strappy holster and a long sweaty walk in the mountains is a great way to start a brush fire just below your sack while slowly sawing off your leg.

Last edited:
I use a blackhawk serpa CQC paddle holster... with daypacks I can usually keep it on my pants - with my big hunting pack, I either put it on the belt or swtich to chest rig.

Elk97

WKR
Strongly advise against anything with a leg strap. I use a Mystery Ranch holster for my revolver but it's just a generic fit and their holster for an automatic might not work with a light. I like the holster you have for the SW, who makes that?

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Go with Safariland. Order whatever holster you’d like with the light and RMR cut out. Then you can use a QLS setup to transfer to different mounting options quickly. For hiking with the hip belt on, the low ride holster mount works perfectly. It is low enough to clear the hip belt on a SC X-curve, canted out enough that you have a snag free draw range yet not so much that it snags. I’m carrying an XDm 4.5” in 10mm just like that and it works great. Did 10 miles with 55lbs on Friday and didn’t notice the holster once. Then when I go to the range I transfer the holster (I have the GLS, will upgrade to an ALS 6360 once I get a light for it this winter) to the standard belt loop attachment on my gun belt. It’s quick, easy and secure. If needed I can supply some pictures for you too.

SWOHTR

WKR
Keep in mind I’ve only worn navy issue holsters, which are thigh, and not recommended. Very floppy and the gun ends up pointing at your kneecap.

Quackhead

FNG
I would not recommend a thigh rig- while they look sexy on TV, not very practical for use hunting / stalking. They tend to snag on brush and not very comfortable for long term wear. Most who carry a pistol for a living in an overt role have gone away from these and back to a safariland UBL mounted holster ( duty type ).
another option is the hill people gear chest pack- I have one for mountain biking and hunting , but have only carried a G20 once on a hunt. My G19 is the norm

KSP277

WKR
if your familiar with Safariland check out their drop flex adapter. You can mount anything that accepts safariland style 3 hole mounts. Gets your weapon below belt line without being all down your thigh.

you can get just the flex drop piece cheap. Around 18$ And use it like a normal belt rig.

If you feel like you need a leg strap tho, that flex set up with the strap on it ain’t bad. Whole thing is around 65$ I think5B530254-7FE5-4459-A28D-4748A7776793.png97A66B83-8382-471D-BD2E-363549B471F9.png5B530254-7FE5-4459-A28D-4748A7776793.png97A66B83-8382-471D-BD2E-363549B471F9.png

KSP277

WKR
RTI holster from ANR design or Gcode with Gcode rti optimal drop mount. Will sit low enough below your pack belt but not so low you need a strap around your thigh to draw it quickly (if a holster is to low, it won't draw well, will pull away from your body). Can take gun with holster on/off belt attachment without taking belt and entire thing off. I carry a g20 with light in this set up, hundreds of miles on it with pack, best solution I've found.

2 thumbs up for Gcode. They make a good product, good customer service. I hadn’t seen their drop holster until you mentioned it tho. I like the looks of that.