Glock 20 Holster Comfortable w/ Backpack

ncstewart

WKR
Only got military experience but first thing I ditched in the desert was the drop down crap. I’d find a chest rig ya like. Think personally I’d find a bino rig that I could carry with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
2 thumbs up for Gcode. They make a good product, good customer service. I hadn’t seen their drop holster until you mentioned it tho. I like the looks of that.
Yea they have a full drop that you need a strap for and then the optimal drop that’s perfect, drops it below the pack but not so low it flops. I have the safariland drop as well with the QLS but the QLS angles it out more than I like and it’s just a little too far down the leg, need a strap.

Voyageur

WKR
As others have said, don't rule out a chest rig. The Hill People Gear Kit Bag is a great piece of gear. Never in the way whether you are wearing a pack, drawing a bow, shouldering a rifle, butchering game, etc. Your hand gun is always right where you need it for quick easy access.

mtnkid85

WKR
May I ask why you are dead set again ya chest rig?
I can't speak directly for the OP, but the reasons Im back playing with drop/hip holsters is while I love the accessibility of a chest rig, I don't love the hassle of putting on/taking off a chest holster, than the bins harness every time I shed a layer. Than the Razco style rigs solve that issue, but when processing a animal in the woods I generally like to pull off my bins harness while bent over working. But the than with the Razco you then also loose the quick access of your sidearm.
Those two reasons than added to the difference in draw strokes/presentations between a chest rig and a hip mounted rig, which is probably more familiar to the majority of us.

In all honesty the first two issues can be worked around while in the field. And with enough practice and dry fire repetitions the second issue can be over come as well. Im just always looking for the "better way".

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Strongly advise against anything with a leg strap. I use a Mystery Ranch holster for my revolver but it's just a generic fit and their holster for an automatic might not work with a light. I like the holster you have for the SW, who makes that?

This is what it has stamped on it:

Hunter

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
May I ask why you are dead set again ya chest rig?

I do have a Kenai chest holster for a FNX 45. I'm not incredibly thrilled with it. It squeaks like crazy, rubs the daylights out of my neck with the shoulder strap, and restricts my breathing if I have it too tight. That pressure point on your chest isn't the most comfortable thing after about two days either.

Add in the couple things mtnkid mentioned above as well.

I will probably get a chest holster for it eventually and have both. Having the gun in a chest rig and belly crawling or shooting prone makes me cringe a little. It's a tool, but I'd like to not drag it over rocks if I can help it.

Also shooting prone with the chest rig and binos can get a little thick.

Last edited:
OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
As others have said, don't rule out a chest rig. The Hill People Gear Kit Bag is a great piece of gear. Never in the way whether you are wearing a pack, drawing a bow, shouldering a rifle, butchering game, etc. Your hand gun is always right where you need it for quick easy access.

I can't get over the zipper on the bag. I'm assuming you need to unzip it before drawing the gun.

My first chest rig experience made me never want a drop leg again. Maybe that’s the difference between good chest rig and cheap chest rigs.
I do have a Kenai chest holster for a FNX 45. I'm not incredibly thrilled with it. It squeaks like crazy, rubs the daylights out of my neck with the shoulder strap, and restricts my breathing if I have it too tight. That pressure point on your chest isn't the most comfortable thing after about two days either.

Add in the couple things mtnkid mentioned above as well.

I will probably get a chest holster for it eventually and have both. Having the gun in a chest rig and belly crawling or shooting prone makes me cringe a little. It's a tool, but I'd like to not drag it over rocks if I can help it.

Also shooting prone with the chest rig and binos can get a little thick.
check out Quick Lock Holsters. He can be found on Amazon. Makes an amazing chest rig set up. I sold both my Kenai rigs and run quicklock alone. I’m not In the desert. I’m in Alaska so I don’t low crawl anywhere. Couldn’t see over the alders. Lol

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
My first chest rig experience made me never want a drop leg again. Maybe that’s the difference between good chest rig and cheap chest rigs.

check out Quick Lock Holsters. He can be found on Amazon. Makes an amazing chest rig set up. I sold both my Kenai rigs and run quicklock alone. I’m not In the desert. I’m in Alaska so I don’t low crawl anywhere. Couldn’t see over the alders. Lol

What do you like more about it than the Kenai? Looks very similar.

Voyageur

WKR
I can't get over the zipper on the bag. I'm assuming you need to unzip it before drawing the gun.
Nope. No need to unzip (in the traditional sense), it's more of a rip. It's all done in one motion as you are drawing. One method involves using the zipper pulls and the other consists of leaving the corner of the chest rig open just enough to stick two or three fingers in and ripping the rig open. There are some good YouTube videos detailing both styles.
As I once heard a firearms instructor say: "Smooth is fast and fast is smooth."

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
It seems like there are lots of drop/offset type holsters out there to clear armor etc. Any suggestions on a thin drop/offset piece that won't feel like a tumor under a heavy backpack belt?

I would like the holster to be top quality. Who are some of the best custom makers out there?

Thanks!

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I should mention that I'd like an RMR and weapon light on the gun as well.

I have an RMR 7 optic and a TLR 7 light on my Glock 19 and highly recommend either. Seems like I’m cheating at the local pistol pin shoots...even against guys with “race guns”. But hey if they are giving out sporting goods gift cards, shoot what you brought!

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I came across these guys tonight. Looks like their setup would solve probably my biggest complaint about the Kenai - the squeaking. The squeaking comes from the way that they attach the harness straps onto the kydex- via buckles. The buckles move around and the plastic on plastic contact makes a lot of noise if it's not tightened down. I usually cinch it down so it doesn't make any noise, then when I'm climbing the mountain and breathing heavy I can't take deep breaths without feeling like it's constricting my chest. It finds a way to wiggle it self loose and start squeaking after a little while. I told the guys at GFI that they should attach it differently by removing the buckles and attaching the webbing directly to the kydex and they weren't too concerned about improving it and talked about getting the holsters out in a certain time-frame and at a certain price point. I like the guys, but wasn't too impressed with that response. Make the product as good as it can be.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My kenai has served me well but this season I’m going to attach the pistol to my pack belt, I’ll just use one of those mused trigger covers when I have the pistol in the tent.