Glock 20 Won't Run

treillw

WKR
Glock 20
TMT Tactical Full Mod (Slide serrations, stippling, undercut, rmr cut, cerakote)
Tungsten guide rod w/ 20 pound spring (or factory spring)
KKM barrel (or factory barrel)
Zev Trigger
RMR
Surefire X300

Ammo:
200 Grain WFN Hard Cast (Hand Load to Book Max)
200 Grain Hornady Hollow Point (Hand Load to Book Max) - pics of deformed brass
180 Grain RNFP (Factory - General Practice Ammo)
165 Grain RNFP (Hand Load for Plinking)

I think that's all the details on the gun and ammo. Please spare me the don't modify it lecture.

I can't get the gun to run without jamming with any combination of the above barrels and ammo. TMT won't help. KKM won't help. Not sure what to try next. Any ideas? Any good gunsmiths around Montana that can get this thing to run?

It mostly fails to feed. Sometimes it doesn't fully go into battery. The brass is also scraping on the slide ejection port and shaving a good bit off and sometimes with the hotter loads it will actually deform the brass - see pics below.

Thanks.

20220410_180703.jpg

20220410_180900.jpg

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
KKM barrels can require some fitting, their dimensions are slightly different for a tighter lock up than stock. I believe they offer a fitting service where you can send it to them. If you want to try something before sending it off, polish the feed ramp really well and try another magazine as well. I guess there is also a small chance it could be some weird combo of recoil management/lighter slide/spring, in that case order some different weight recoil springs and see if one works (18/20/22).

I would drop down to some normal power factory loads and try to figure out what part is contacting the brass.

Try this. Full mag, shoot a couple hot loads and then unchamber the unfirEd rounds. That will tell you if the bullets are getting deformed before or after firing. Empty mag, Hand load a half dozen rounds through the ejection port and fire them. I suspect your case is one of these:

barrel - you could be jamming the brass against the lip of the feed ramp when the round is chambered. You might also be scraping t hood on the way out.

slide - extractor - you might be scraping the slide during ejection.

“scraper or stripper” - that ridge just behind the breach face to the right of the safety plunger is what strips the next round from the mag. Put some black sharpie on it and see if it gets rubbed off after a few rounds. The handloading through the chamber will bypass this Thing.

experiment with your factory barrel, swapping out the extractor parts (cheap and about 5 minutes). If that doesn’t work I would look into a set of recoil springs to see if you need more spring power.

some glock 10s Are know to be picky. The action can start to unlock early due to high pressure and case bulges can happen. hotter loads can also mess with the timing of the guns function if it isn’t sprung with enough power to handle the loads.

eamyrick

WKR
I have shot alot a lot of glocks and seen a ton of them in training (a ton). The only issues I have ever seen have been on modified guns. Issues can be with a single mod or stacked tolerances when one modification may work but multiple act against each other to create an issue. I would install factory spring, install factory barrel, remove light, shoot multiple factory loads to find one that is reliable. Go from there.

Wrench

WKR
G20 slide speed with full zoot loads is very fast. Add in a stiffer recoil spring and a tiiiiiny bit of limp or low wrist on a barrel with tighter chamber and later lock timing and you've stacked your way into a mess.

Many times more mag spring will help, but really....you need to overcome a few of the above to be in the clear.

A hot loaded 20 is a real bitch to tighten up your fundamentals and honestly, a gun you can't shoot left handed or limp wristed (injured) isn't going to make you feel warm and fuzzy when shit goes sideways.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Obviously you don’t want to hear it but you highly modified a gun that sounds like you hadn’t shot previously but don’t want anybody to mention all the tacticool crap you did to it. Then it sounds like you reloaded by choosing max pressure according to a book, in an aftermarket barrel. I guess my point is, you’re lucky FTF is your only issue! Reloading that way is a potentially dangerous situation.

amassi

WKR
Before I found these forums I put thousands of rounds out of g20 and g29 and they never hiccuped.. then I started with the "upgrades" and it all went to pot

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
Before I found these forums I put thousands of rounds out of g20 and g29 and they never hiccuped.. then I started with the "upgrades" and it all went to pot

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
But it’s not the mods so don’t talk about them.