Glock 20

Not an expert, but I read about few successful bear encounters where the survivor quick drew and downed the bear. It seems far more common to have some indication of the bears presence and the gun in hand.

if a grizzly bear is charging for real, the old timers said they would rather have a rifle,a Nd if not that, they would take nothing over a pistol so that they don’t have to die with their ears ringing.

whaack

WKR
Glock is a great gun for carry or the back country.

“No external safety” is one of the oldest and dumbest comments in gun culture known to man. Learn to carry a gun loaded and practice with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A grizzly bear sprinting at 35 mph will cover 40 yds in 2 seconds...placing the bear right on top of you before you can shoot, given the timing you mention. And that is assuming you are completely ready like in training, function under stress as well as you do in training, and that you have a 40 yd buffer between you and the bear when it charges.

So maybe it makes more sense to carry on an empty chamber in garrison, but not when boarding a ship or sneaking through brush in bear country?

In my mind it was ridiculous for us to carry empty chamber for several reasons. Interestingly enough, when we switched to Berettas, in the same drill, most shooters only sped up by about a half second. I only made the comment about racking the slide becoming mechanical to reinforce the post I quoted. Whatever you choose to carry, if you intend to employ it in any kind of defense, it is critical to practice enough to develop muscle memory. Someone who is handicapped by an empty chamber will become much faster and more proficient with practice than someone who doesn't practice with a handgun with a loaded chamber and no safety.

Lytro

WKR
Looking at getting a Glock 20 mostly to carry while bowhunting. It will probably be the only handgun I own because I don’t plan on carrying. But I have a friend who said I should get a gun with an actual safety on it. What are everyone’s thoughts on this? I found a new Glock 20 for sale and was all set to buy it but having second thoughts now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the opposite opinion as your friend. If you rifle hunt, you should already have trigger discipline. With this being your only handgun, and without a lot of experience or training, the absence of a safety could be beneficial in the event you actually need to use it. Sure you could probably get more accuracy out of a single action handgun with a conventional safety (on the range), but if sh** hits the fan, you're going to be mashing the trigger.

Regardless, do whatever you're comfortable with as long as you're not presenting a safety hazard to yourself of your hunting partners.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
My Glock 20 with Trijicon RMR and Trijicon Suppressor Height Tritium Sights for co-witness. Gunfighter’s Inc. Kenai Chest Holster and Surefire X300 Light. All internals on Glock 20 are stock.

I switched to the Glock 20 10mm from a Ruger Super Alaskan in 454 Casull about 3 years ago.

View attachment 308160

View attachment 308161

View attachment 308162

I know MTElkChaser's holster is for the chest, but can someone recommend an OWB holster that fits a Glock 20 with a weapon light similar to MEC's?

I'm not having much luck finding one and this is my sidearm when in the woods.

Thanks,

Eddie

I know MTElkChaser's holster is for the chest, but can someone recommend an OWB holster that fits a Glock 20 with a weapon light similar to MEC's?

I'm not having much luck finding one and this is my sidearm when in the woods.

Thanks,

Eddie

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I recently hiked something like 6 miles of Texas hill country with a bug out bag and a Black Point Tactical OWB concealment rig - would definitely recommend if that fits what you have in mind. I’ve also used Hill People Gear “manny pack” as well as a Safariland mid-ride worn off the belt.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
LE firearms instructor here. I will echo some of what has said earlier. Glocks are extremely safe even with one in the chamber but you need a quality holster (kydex or other rigid material) to prevent the trigger from accidentally being pressed. External safeties require more training and likely more time. Training/practice is essential if you expect to deploy it quickly and effectively against a charging threat (bear or other).

Thunder43

FNG
Also carry a Glock 20 in a Kenai chest holster. I would never carry without one in chamber - my opinion. Know your gear. Know your safety rules. Train.

I run a glock 29 while archery elk hunting. As stated above, glocks have been proven effective tools time and time again by law enforcement and military. Run a quality holster on your waist belt that covers the trigger and you have nothing to worry about. I run an alien gear holster as they are a local company.

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Great gun. Easy and accurate to shoot. Chest holster only way to go in Grizz country. I recommend Underwood extreme penetrator ammo if you can find it.

Matt G.

WKR
I will echo the guys who keep one in the chamber and no safety. Pending on the type of pistol I buy without the safety. In the heat of the moment, did I leave one in the chamber, is the safety on? I bet many people have different guns with different actions and safeties.

I don't want to take that chance. It is hard to recreate, in the moment of truth will you be able to react to the situation or will you freeze. A second could make a difference.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
I changed from Ruger Security Six 4": .357 Mag Stainless Steel... 39oz fully loaded w/ 6.... over to carrying a G29 in a Razco holster underneath the Marsupial Gear. For 32oz fully loaded w/ 10! When in non-bear country I carry a Sig P238 lil mini 1911 in .380acp. Makes it even easier and brings weight down to something like 17-19oz

There is definitely some merit to designs like that lil 1911 and the external safety, if the carrying plans are such that you don't really know what you'll be faced with where it shall be concealed. But as long as you've got some kind of a holster to cover the trigger area, your no-safety semi-auto pistol should be just fine. The lil Sig P238 is nice in that you can rapidly xfer it over into your pocket, from the packs pocket, if you're going to be stepping away from the pack. You can put it in your pocket even without the pocket holster because their external safety is stiff enough there's no way it's accidentally getting switched-off. And until it does... the trigger can't do anything. So for just a little gun to keep on you while you're processing game in the field, the Sig P238 is pretty darn cool. And when ya need more oomph, bring the G29 and also a little trigger guard cover for when it's off your person and beside you in the tent, so you can't accidentally get a finger in the trigger guard until you mean to.

The way a striker-fired pistol interfaces with a safety is different than hammer-fired. I'm assuming your friend is talking about a 1911 platform chambered in 10mm with an external safety? I believe the Glock 20, in a chest holster, is the bowhunter's best friend for a back country carry set up. Here's why:

1. The G20 in a chest holster sits flush behind a binocular harness and your chest. This frees up hip/drop leg space you would need for an OWB holster and keeps the weight of the firearm centered over your lower torso. No annoying OWB holster on your 3 o'clock brushing up against branches and trees.

2. If you are breaking down an animal and need to draw quickly from a kneeling position - the chest carry option makes the firearm easier to get to than if it were on your hip or in a drop leg holster.

3. You can buy a KKM 40 S&W barrel to put in your G20 for $150. This turns your 10mm into a .40 which is a cost-effective way to train/practice. And if you decide to take a defensive handgun course in the future you will save yourself hundreds of dollars in ammunition cost. You get two guns for the price of one and a barrel.

4. If you decide in the future to hunt with your G20 in a state that requires a barrel at least 6" you won't need to purchase the G40. K&M sells a 6" barrel for a G20 you can drop in.

The G20 affords you more versatility than any other Glock platform, or otherwise that I'm aware of. I recommend you check out Mike Glover's Youtube channel for his perspective on the G19 and why he is a fan of Glocks if you are worried about reliability or safety.

(This is all just my personal opinion based on my own direct experience.)

Revolvers don’t have safeties, nobody complains about that.

I have 3 Glock 20s, like others have said, get a good holster and get comfortable with the function of the gun and you are good to go.
You want to sell any of those G20s or trade for a G17?

The safety mechanism in the Glocks is pretty impressive.

Most assuring to me is the Firing Pin Safety. There is a physical piece part, steel I assume, between the firing pin and the case primer, until the trigger is pulled.