Glock 20's Blowing up?

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
I was speaking to a rep from Underwood ammo and they mentioned of a case where a G20 blew up while using their ammo. They mentioned that a batch of their ammo was incorrectly loaded and they replaced the customer's firearm. I have a stock G40, and there has been no problems shooting factory loads.

Totoro

WKR
Between both my 20SF, I got north of 10K rounds with no FTF or FTE using the lightest to heaviest loads.

Going Underwood +P 200XTP I put in a heavier recoil spring and that's about it.

Too many keyboard ninja's trying to make the G20 something it ain't and paying the price.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
My understanding, from a guy I trust as I'm not a Glock user, is that the factory Glock barrels don't have a fully supported chamber, making them prone to detonation if loaded with inappropriately hot rounds (this was several years ago, Glock could have changed the design). His advice was if you want to hand load for a Glock, get an after market barrel with a fully supported chamber. I believe Lone Wolf makes some like this (but do you own research as I have not looked into it in a while and I don't use Glocks).

bcv

Lil-Rokslider
Say what you want about the 20.. I've bought and sold pistols for the last 30 years and this one I'll never sell. Its been flawless.

Attachments

• IMG_8410.jpg
    IMG_8410.jpg
    594.6 KB · Views: 37

The_Yetti

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my G20 for almost 6 years, and lots of rounds, never had an issue of any sort. It's replaced my Blackhawk in 44 for pretty much everything.

Good to know,just seems like alot of threads about issues with ftf,im betting because people are doing to many modifications.

hflier

WKR
Have owned at least 15 Glocks with thousands of rounds fired. Never had a malfunction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Terrapin

WKR
Unmodified G29. About 1000 rounds of max hard cast reloads and factory hard cast bear loads. No notable issues that I recall. It is one of my most dependable handguns. I predominately shoot “high end” handguns for competition, but carry a G43 for in town and a G29 for woods. I trust them to be reliable and impervious to the weather. I am also fast out of the holster with very reasonable splits for follow up shots. My accuracy is lower than purpose built competitive pistols, but that is to be expected. (I played with a G36 and G17. Accuracy was better, but didn’t approach a single action trigger for me).

I wanted to like a 10mm 1911, but I never could get an acceptable level of reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stick to the stock barrel, it's the most reliable platform available. Lotta people out there without engineering backgrounds playing engineer.

OkayestHNTR

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kahr P380 which shoots great for me, but several others who have shot my 380 experienced FTF's. I'm not a gun rocket person but i believe FTF's can be caused by shooters as well as by the handgun.

The_Yetti

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kahr P380 which shoots great for me, but several others who have shot my 380 experienced FTF's. I'm not a gun rocket person but i believe FTF's can be caused by shooters as well as by the handgun.

I havea Ruger SR22 that demands good shooting form or you get an FTF. It's been great for teaching the wife and my boys how to shoot with. If you get limp wristed it will FTF. Good solid position and it works great. With kids who want to pew, pew, pew. Its a great motivator to have a good shooting position so you don't have to go pew, rack slide, pew, rack slide, pew.

Beendare

WKR
I bet more G20's blow up on the internet than at the range.
Still the best post of the thread^

Ive got over 700 rds of Hard Cast underwood 200 gr through my stock G20...runs like a top. I own many Glocks and my bet is that most of these claims of blow ups are due to guys improperly tweaking their pistol or ammo.

Its hard to get one to malfunction...but my niece with tiny hands can get one to stovepipe every once in awhile....when she grips it, its fine.

Is that the guns fault?

No issues with my gen 4 G20. It's my favorite handgun. I have a KKM .40 S&W barrel I use for classes to keep ammo costs down. When I'm in the back country the 10mm barrel goes back in.