Glock 23 gen 5 conversions

TkeeneMT

FNG
curious on the Glock 23 gen 5. I know you can get conversion barrels for 9mm and 357 sig. I don’t plan to get the 9 as I have a g19 already. For the 357 sig do you just need the barrel? Also how well does it function? I’ve seen some mixed reviews on whether you need get Glock 357 sig mags or if you can just shoot 357 sig out of the Glock 40 cal mags.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
curious on the Glock 23 gen 5. I know you can get conversion barrels for 9mm and 357 sig. I don’t plan to get the 9 as I have a g19 already. For the 357 sig do you just need the barrel? Also how well does it function? I’ve seen some mixed reviews on whether you need get Glock 357 sig mags or if you can just shoot 357 sig out of the Glock 40 cal mags.
Should just be a barrel swap. How is the availibilty of 357 sig ammo these days? Back ~ 15 years ago I had one and you could get ammo but I sold it awhile back and havnt looked much. 347 sig is a cool round.

Not sure about gen 5. There were some slight spec differences for gen 4. see below. I think most people were GTG with a barrel swap for plinking and ranger time but you ma want to get some magazines and swap your extractor for a full conversion (not sure about gen 5 extractor though for 357 sig). 357 sig was a heck of a cartridge. Seems like it kind of died on the vine. TBH the .40 is a little out of favor from what I gather. I think 30 years ago, you could have made a legit argument for 40 and 357 sig as a better anti social round Over 9mm. But a lot of that perspective was drive by guys with a bias toward 357 and 45 looking at ballistic data from guys like Evan Marshal. 9mm FMJ and pre1990s hollow points just weren’t that well regarded. Newer hollow points are pretty potent in 9mm. Combine modern shooting tactics with higher ammo costs and the added wear 40s put on guns and how it is slightly harder to qualify for the average officer and it seems like, they are falling out of favor In the broader LEO community.

(1) Magazine Follower:
The follower cartridge-bearing profile is different between the two calibers (differences are reduced in the most recent versions), and the follower is longer (deeper) in the tube for .357SIG than .40SW.

(2) Factory Standard Fixed Rear Sight:
Elevation of 6.5mm applies to G22, G23, G27, and G33;
Elevation of 6.9mm applies to G31, G32.

(3) Trigger Mechanism Housing/Ejector:
Trigger Mechanism Housing with Ejector 1882 (Part 1896) applies to
pre-Generation 4 .357SIG and .40SW.
Trigger Mechanism Housing with Ejector 30499 (Part 30561) applies to
Generation 4 .357SIG.
Trigger Mechanism Housing with Ejector 28926 (Part 28927) applies to
Generation 4 .40SW.

OP
T

TkeeneMT

FNG
Should just be a barrel swap. How is the availibilty of 357 sig ammo these days? Back ~ 15 years ago I had one and you could get ammo but I sold it awhile back and havnt looked much. 347 sig is a cool round.
I will see ammo for it from time to time. I want it just more to add it to my collection and another option. It’s a unique round

OP
T

TkeeneMT

FNG
Not sure about gen 5. There were some slight spec differences for gen 4. see below. I think most people were GTG with a barrel swap for plinking and ranger time but you ma want to get some magazines and swap your extractor for a full conversion (not sure about gen 5 extractor though for 357 sig). 357 sig was a heck of a cartridge. Seems like it kind of died on the vine. TBH the .40 is a little out of favor from what I gather. I think 30 years ago, you could have made a legit argument for 40 and 357 sig as a better anti social round Over 9mm. But a lot of that perspective was drive by guys with a bias toward 357 and 45 looking at ballistic data from guys like Evan Marshal. 9mm FMJ and pre1990s hollow points just weren’t that well regarded. Newer hollow points are pretty potent in 9mm. Combine modern shooting tactics with higher ammo costs and the added wear 40s put on guns and how it is slightly harder to qualify for the average officer and it seems like, they are falling out of favor In the broader LEO community.

(1) Magazine Follower:
The follower cartridge-bearing profile is different between the two calibers (differences are reduced in the most recent versions), and the follower is longer (deeper) in the tube for .357SIG than .40SW.

(2) Factory Standard Fixed Rear Sight:
Elevation of 6.5mm applies to G22, G23, G27, and G33;
Elevation of 6.9mm applies to G31, G32.

(3) Trigger Mechanism Housing/Ejector:
Trigger Mechanism Housing with Ejector 1882 (Part 1896) applies to
pre-Generation 4 .357SIG and .40SW.
Trigger Mechanism Housing with Ejector 30499 (Part 30561) applies to
Generation 4 .357SIG.
Trigger Mechanism Housing with Ejector 28926 (Part 28927) applies to
Generation 4 .40SW.
From what I’ve seen it seems that only one company makes a 357 sig barrel for the gen 5 and they are charging like 250-280 for it. Ya I know there has always been a debate on 9mm and 40 cal. People argue stopping power and knockdown. I think there is a fair argument for the science and technology that goes into modern day self defense ammo. I’m getting to the point now though where it’s like how many 9mm do I really need. I don’t have any 40 yet. I love Glocks. Just looking to branch out and get some options. Long term the g23 I would get a red dot and tac light for it

40s are fine. I don’t shoot mine much apart from USPSA limited. Probably what I would carry if I wore a badge and someone else bought my ammo.

FWIW I have a threaded KKM barrel I swapped into a g17. Originally, I thought it would be fine to swap between that and factory, but It was enough to change POI with my dot. Not a ton. 2-3” at 25 yards.

OP
T

TkeeneMT

FNG
40s are fine. I don’t shoot mine much apart from USPSA limited. Probably what I would carry if I wore a badge and someone else bought my ammo.

FWIW I have a threaded KKM barrel I swapped into a g17. Originally, I thought it would be fine to swap between that and factory, but It was enough to change POI with my dot. Not a ton. 2-3” at 25 yards.
Ya for me regardless I will buy a 40 cal probably more as a night stand gun. For summers I have a p365 that is sweet and winter I have the 19. The g23 would get the red dot and tac light

Maki35

WKR
Yes, an OEM G32 (357 Sig) barrel will work in the G23 slide.
.357Sig will work with the G23 mags.

OEM Glock 32 barrel

OP
T

TkeeneMT

FNG
Yes, an OEM G32 (357 Sig) barrel will work in the G23 slide.
.357Sig will work with the G23 mags.

OEM Glock 32 barrel
How about for gen 5 g23

Maki35

WKR
I would buy a Gen 5 barreI. I have read the Gen 5 barrel have different angles on the locking surfaces. IDK?

(I have Gen 2, 3 & 4. But not 5).

Last edited:
I would buy a Gen 5 barreI. I have read the Gen 5 barrel have different angles on the locking surfaces. IDK?

(I have Gen 2, 3 & 4. But not 5).
Gen 5 19, 23 all use the same barrels as previous gens if im not mistaken, the difference is between gen 4 and 5 17's which use a different locking block (same as g19 previous gens) and therefore different barrels