Glock 29 or 40?

I'm researching 10mm autos for bear defense. I already have a couple wheel guns in .357 and .44 mag. For those of you with experience with the 29 and 40, which do you like better? Obviously they are vastly different in size with 3.8" vs 6" barrels respectively. However, my aging eyes like the idea of the G40 gen 4 with MOS (red dot). However, I understand the longer and heavier 40 may not be the fastest handling in a SHT situation.

Thoughts?

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
40 would be optimal, 29 is definitely a bit more handy but why not the middle of the road G20?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I will check out the 20. Do you know if you can get that one with MOS? NVM... Looks like the 40 is the only 10mm available with MOS.

I went with the 40 cuz I was MUCH more accurate with it (beyond 40 yards). The longer barrel and slide, DeltaPoint optic with co-witnessed Hawkins suppressor iridium sights is quite nice. Shoots like .40 caliber G22, nice balance. Tried the G20 with the longer KKM barrel but my groups were not as tight.

g402.JPG
g40-7.jpgg40-2.jpg

Holster transfers from pack belt to pants in a second for the final stalk.

g40holster3.JPGg40holster4.JPG

The G40 MOS replaced my S&W 329PD.

329PD.jpg

Like you, my eyes are not as good as they used to be and I think the red dot helps, especially in lower light. I have done SD training with the G40 so I could add it to my CCW permit and drawing it and firing in under 2 seconds is no prob which surprised me. When I travel I hate having to take two sidearms (one for CCW and one for backcountry sidearm). I can take the G40 and swap out the magazine from hard cast to SD ammo in a flash. Works for me but everyone is different. Best to shoot em first, then buy. BTW...I'm a big boy with large hands which may be a factor. The Glock 40 gets a lot of envious looks here in the People's Republik of Commiefornistan. LOL

Do your homework...lots of experienced opinions out there. https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/g20-vs-g40-for-hunting-and-woods-gun.1631792/

Last edited:

GWT

FNG
I’ve shot the 29, 20, and 40. I prefer the 20 for the full size grip and for the me the 40 wasn’t any more accurate. Like one of the other guys mentioned you can always have the slide milled for a red dot.

I will check out the 20. Do you know if you can get that one with MOS? NVM... Looks like the 40 is the only 10mm available with MOS.
Imo factory Mos sucks anyways.
Yes it terrible to send you slide off, wait and spend even more money.
But with the factory mos you have to use an adapter plate and the red dot sits higher so co witness is at the bottom 3rd if at all and you have more areas for failure. More hardware etc.

A properly machined slide for the rmr is a much better solution.
With suppressor height sight it would be absolute co witness.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I also carry a 20 in the field (with a Kenai chest holster). I went with aftermarket sights for better visibility with my eyes (TRUGLO TFX Pro Tritium fiber optic). That simple combination meets my needs just fine across various backcountry experiences that I enjoy...quick access and easy/safe carry...day after day.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
As a FYI only, just read Chuckhawks review on the G40 MOS, and it was very favorable. Gonna have to go handle all three and see which I like better. Thx again ya'll!

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I went with the 40 cuz I was MUCH more accurate with it (beyond 40 yards). The longer barrel and slide, DeltaPoint optic with co-witnessed Hawkins suppressor iridium sights is quite nice. Shoots like .40 caliber G22, nice balance. Tried the G20 with the longer KKM barrel but my groups were not as tight.

View attachment 365117
View attachment 365118View attachment 365119

Holster transfers from pack belt to pants in a second for the final stalk.

View attachment 365120View attachment 365121

The G40 MOS replaced my S&W 329PD.

View attachment 365123

Like you, my eyes are not as good as they used to be and I think the red dot helps, especially in lower light. I have done SD training with the G40 so I could add it to my CCW permit and drawing it and firing in under 2 seconds is no prob which surprised me. When I travel I hate having to take two sidearms (one for CCW and one for backcountry sidearm). I can take the G40 and swap out the magazine from hard cast to SD ammo in a flash. Works for me but everyone is different. Best to shoot em first, then buy. BTW...I'm a big boy with large hands which may be a factor. The Glock 40 gets a lot of envious looks here in the People's Republik of Commiefornistan. LOL

Do your homework...lots of experienced opinions out there. https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/g20-vs-g40-for-hunting-and-woods-gun.1631792/
That is a thing of beauty right there...

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
@Where's Bruce? Are you using factory hexagonal rifled barrel or did you buy aftermarket to shoot hard cast?

How is your trigger pull? This was the one complaint in the Chuck Hawk's review even after swapping for the target connector. Pull was still 6.5 pounds.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Had a 29, ditched for a 20. Having handled a 40, no way I would want to hunt with one. It’s a brick.

EDIT: I would not want to carry one hunting for bear defense. If handgun hunting, the 40 would be my choice. My wording above was imprecise.
Thank you for the comments. In Iowa we can use handguns during both gun seasons and late muzzleloader season. From what I've read, the 10mm is more than adequate out to 100 yards on whitetails with full power loads and can be pointed center of target when sighted in at 100.