Glock vs. Springfield 10mm

I have carried a Glock 19 or Glock 26 pretty much every day for the last 10 years. I have taken a two day class for combat handgun and fighting pistol applications each year and I train regularly. I have about 20,000 rounds through my Glock 19. Super familiar with the platform, and comfortable with the 9 mm offerings.

Should I just buy a Glock 20 since I am familiar with the platform? One thing I have noticed, because of the difference in grip thickness it is definitely a different animal to Handle.

I’m wondering if anyone has a preference one over The other of these two pistols and real world experience with each so the comparison is real. Application would be back up protection in grizzly country.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried a number of different platforms and models. Gen 3 Glock 20 is about as good as it gets for me. My hands are between L/XL and I don’t like the SF or gen 4 grips as much. Springfield seems to have a much higher bore/axis. That said the XDM‘s are great guns and like anything it will come down to personal preference if you reload an after market barrel for Glocks is almost a necessity (brass care).

MHWASH

WKR
I’ve had the G20 & G29 , I now have the XD and much prefer it. I hand load all my centerfire weapons, so I was concerned about the unsupported chambers of the Glocks. Every aftermarket barrel and recoil spring I tried was not 100% reliable. I sold both Glocks and went 10 less for a while. When I got into backpack black bear hunting I decided I wanted another 10. I had heard good things about the Springfield, so I decided to try it. For me the slimmer grip made a huge difference. I also feel that the recoil is less. I shoot 200 XTPs at about 1200 FPS. Never had any issues with the XD. Personally I’d go with out a 10mm, before I settled for a Glock.

Chuckybmd

WKR
I ended up with the XDM 5.25 10 mm. My favorite handgun is a g17 Glock . I wrote on some other posts about this, but I think the difference in shooting a 10 mm versus other standard pistol calibers is more of a significant difference then the difference in platform.

The variables that swayed me towards the XDM was better sights, more comfortable grip for my hand, and longer barrel.

Disadvantages, less holster options, less after Market parts

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
Glock all day
This. I would say that even if you didn’t have 2 already. Glock 20 is a proven platform with tons of support. I have a Gen 4 20 and 29. 29 is a great backcountry ccw. It also fits perfectly in a Kifaru medium belt pouch with a tied off raven vanguard.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have both, the Glock is a better gun hands down. Not that the springer is bad but I havnt found it to be as reliable as the Glock.

I actually preferred the G40 for longer range shooting. Topped with DeltaPoint 2.5 optic and co-witness Dawson suppressor sights. My EDC is a G22. Shoot what's familiar.

Glock. I didn't know Springfields were still considered to be a legitimate choice for a reliable firearm. You'll have lots of aftermarket support, a familiar platform, and an extremely reliable pistol.
My G40 doesn't have any issues with Underwood 200 gr hardcast, and they're a pretty hot load.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a pretty ignorant thing to say. The XD has proven to be a reliable firearm platform for years. Obviously your just a Glock fan boy.

I agree. As much as I love my G20, in stock form it wouldn’t extract brass from the chamber when using full power loads. I had to replace parts and go to a 22lb spring. With how good springfields 1911s are I wouldn’t hesitate to run a Springfield xdm 10mm.

That’s a pretty ignorant thing to say. The XD has proven to be a reliable firearm platform for years. Obviously your just a Glock fan boy.
I think it's ignorant of reality to think that Springfield XDs are a quality firearm. I'm not a Glock fan boy at all, I will shoot and carry just about anything (except a Taurus or Springfield).

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Confessed glock guy here.

i flirted with a Springfield for IDPA a few years back but sold it and went back to glock. Sample size of 1 but my XD did have some reliability issues across 500-600 rounds. i Would say that out of the box, the XD was probably more inherently accurate - ie tighter groups in slow controlled fire. Shootability was roughly equal for me In IDPA stages with an edge to the glock due to familiarity.

I don’t have any real world experience, but it occurs to me that serious bear encounter is going to involve a quick mag dump and a lot of adrenaline. I doubt the accuracy advantage of the XD would really help. I do think familiarity with a platform and its manual of arms would be helpful.

if your that deep into the glock world, it seems like staying with that platform is the best choice.