Glock vs. Springfield 10mm

You all understand that the Springfield XD series are a copy of the technology brought forth by Glock, right? So a copy of something is better than the original. Nuts.

I have competed with both handguns and the Glock is a better platform, period. I have had absolutely no issues with my Glock G20 with whatever ammunition I put though it, including Buffalo Bore 220 grain Hard Cast Lead rounds. Flawless and never had any problems.

There's a reason Law Enforcement consider the Glock as their firearm of choice. I would recommend that you go with what works and is reliable. This is a back up gun.

Oh, and another thing, shoot the Glock for a couple of thousands rounds to get familiar with it. Make sure you understand how it handles under stress and you will be well protected.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone has their favorites for varying reasons. For me it's a G20.

I won't trust an XD. If you do some research (Aaron Cowen is one), you'll see they can have an issue with the grip safety and extractor failure. Unacceptable. I'd rather carry the weight of a 1911 platformed 10mm than an XD.

Do they all fail? No. Do I want to trust my life to one? No.

wildcat33

WKR
To read this you would think glocks are flawless. I seem to remember many threads about guys fiddling every which way with their G20s. I have two G19s and have been less than impressed with them. Extraction is awful, cases dribble out the side and down your hand. Sent to Glock and they told me "Meets Spec". Which is just to say Glock has its own issues.

Springfield at least seems to be innovating. Every new glock has me shaking my head "why?"

I run a Glock 19 for everyday carry and have about 20 years through mine right now using it for IDPA without issues. That is a lot of rounds through it. I have only had one malfunction and it was because the primer on some CCI Blazer was reversed. I have run the Springfield XD 9 mm so not the 10 mm. I tried it in competition and put a few thousand rounds through it and went back to the glock. The glock just seemed more controllable and ran better for me personally. I do like the grip safety however. I have been running a Glock 20 for about 8 years now. I have tried the older twenties the slim frame and the new gen 4. The Gen4 is a much better fit for me personally.

I have not personally tried the xd 10mm so I can't comment on it.

I carry mine on a Blade Tech drop offset set up using a Red River tactical holster mounted to it. That allows me to run a tlr1 light on it. There is nothing worse than being on the trail at night and having a bear start huffing at you. This way light is on the gun and I'm good to go. No searching for a flashlight or getting excited and crossing your non-dominant hand. You need a good stiff belt with that type of setup. I run this way so it's always on me no matter what. The setup has worked extremely well for me when hunting pigs at night as well.

A month or two before season I start shooting matches using my 20 just to get acquainted with using that holster versus my everyday carry holster setup. The whole goal being to get some under stress practice with the setup prior to going into the season.

If you can find a range that has a low level light match or course that's a good idea to run through that so you understand how to work in that situation.

KineKilla

WKR
I use a Glock 43 as my EDC. Used to carry my XDm in .40S&W.

I really like the Springfield but for EDC it was just too bulky and heavy. I'm a small framed guy and concealing a double stack magazine was difficult and uncomfortable. Still, a great and dependable firearm.

Because you are looking for something to carry openly I don't know that concealability is even a concern to you. When I go hunting I still prefer the increased ammo capacity and power of the .40 over my G43.

OXN939

WKR
While these dudes may not have quite as demanding a mission set as some of the guys on this forum, they chose Glock for a reason...

I‘m one lucky SOB because all my Springfields perform flawlessly. The one time I did need one fixed their CS was top notch. From the time I called to the time the gun was returned to me was two weeks. Gun has been flawless since. This was not an XD but another model. Zero reliability issues with my 10mm xDM OSP model and I have around 1500 rounds through it. It’s been fired dirty, mag dumps, multiple brands and loads of ammo including my own reloads, you name it. Not one single issue. Awesome gun.

I also own a Glock 23 gen3 .40 SW and it is equally reliable. This was a used duty pistol the head of security at a nuclear plant gave me when his force upgraded their service weapons. So lots of rounds through it. The Glock feels marginally better in my hand. But the Springfield is definitely more accurate. If you can call any striker fired trigger “betterl, haha, the Springfield is better.

Really like them both. Glocks advantage is all the aftermarket accessories. Springfields advantage are sights, trigger, and accuracy. Whichever one fits you best is what you should buy (unless aftermarket stuff is a high priority, especially holsters). That said, my Beretta 92X trumps them both! To bad Beretta doesn’t make a 10mm.

Gen273

WKR
I have never owned a Springfield in a 10mm. However, I have had them in other calibers. While they are a very well built gun, I will take a Glock all day every day! I say Glock 20 or 29. I shoot both of them very well and do not find them hard to control.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
After using both I’ve stuck with the XDm. I have a 4.5” model that’s stock with the planned up grades of an RMR, light and suppressor height irons. My Gen 3 G20SF had a ghost trigger linkage, iron wolf barrel, stiffer spring and an undercut to the trigger guard. I find for my hands that the XDm fit better. The G20SF probably would have benefited from a stippling job that’s for sure as it liked to twist in my hands. I’m unsure of how the Gen 4 or 5s are grip wise or spring strength though. I would recommend making sure you have enough spring for bear loads, I was having my slide slap against the frame when I shot the hot 10mm loads through it, the XDm handles them very well in stock form. Whatever you choose you still have 15 rounds of 10mm to stop whatever comes your way. I recommend the hardcast lead for bear protection, they penetrate amazingly.

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Glock 20 because I got a stupid good deal on it. Took me a while to get used to the larger grip. But now I’m shooting it well and it hasn’t had a malfunction yet

Okhotnik

WKR
I have carried a Glock 19 or Glock 26 pretty much every day for the last 10 years. I have taken a two day class for combat handgun and fighting pistol applications each year and I train regularly. I have about 20,000 rounds through my Glock 19. Super familiar with the platform, and comfortable with the 9 mm offerings.

Should I just buy a Glock 20 since I am familiar with the platform? One thing I have noticed, because of the difference in grip thickness it is definitely a different animal to Handle.

I’m wondering if anyone has a preference one over The other of these two pistols and real world experience with each so the comparison is real. Application would be back up protection in grizzly country.

No brainer. You have trained and are familiar with its ergos. Glock

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same boat a year ago between G40 or the Springfield. I went the G40 just because of the after market parts availability.