Glock VS. Springfield XDM in 10mm?

dtrkyman

WKR
Anyone have a comparison? I used to sell both firearms but it has been a while ago, never fired either in a 10.

Looking for a backcountry carry gun, figured the 10mm is solid and If I ever get into grizz country I am good to go, black bears seem attracted to me, so I either need to hunt them I carry something!

Not interested in the 10mm as a proper bear round debate!

hunting1

WKR
I don't have 10mm but have both you are looking at in 45 so my $.02 is Glock. Both have been solid, but the Glock just feels and acts better. I find myself carrying the Glock more and the Springfield is my throw in the truck.

Beckjhong

WKR
Had the same decision, went Springfield and have been very happy. It hasn’t needed any modifications, and cycles well with everything I put in it. It’s been very effective so far, as I haven’t been eaten by a bear. Yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlob1one

WKR
I'd recommend the Springfield for two reasons.

The first and primary is that they can shoot +P loads whereas the Glock (of any model) cannot.

Second reason is round capacity (model dependant), trigger, and sights. I would give preference to the springfield.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Either is a great choice in 10mm. Hold each, see which feels better, lines up better in your hand.

I have the Glock-20, love it.
But I did change to special barrel ($150) to handle the heavy bear loads of Buffalo Bore 220gr slug.
However my factory Glock barrel (still have it) cycles fine the Underwood 200gr slug bear load.

for this reason I purchased a Glock semi auto.
Carried my Colt or SW 357mags for years. Couple years back, had to use Python on a CO charging black bear that came into cow calls. Got 1 shot off before boar ran past me, sidestepped it (rather frantically jumped!).
AS Beast turned, shaking its head, I put another up its nose at 15 feet away. Down for the count the beast....and I practically wet my pants.

Upon inspection afterwards, the first shot went down side of jaw, downward into its neck. That 2nd nose shot exited back of its head/skull. This being said, the 357mag did a number on cracking that skull in several places.

Last edited:
I have a glock 20 and my wife has a XDM 4.5.

Both are good... I can shoot 200 grain hardcasts and have no issues... just keep your barrel clean. I changed to tritium night sites.

On paper, the XDM seems like it has more features (fiber optic sites, match barrel)... it also has a noticeably smaller grip (my glock is gen 4) hence my wife using it... I personally like the glock a bit more just cuz I have and shoot other glocks. They both shoot well IMO - not a huge fan of the back strap safety, but it works.

I think it comes down to preference of ergos and features and what break angle works better for you.

Either is a great choice in 10mm. Hold each, see which feels better, lines up better in your hand.

I have the Glock-20, love it.
But I did change to special barrel ($150) to handle the heavy bear loads of Buffalo Bore 220gr slug.
However my factory Glock barrel (still have it) cycles fine the Underwood 200gr slug bear load.

Yea agree - the 200's seem fine (have shot underwood, double tap, and HSM). 220s dont seem to stabilize.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
I remember preferring the feel of the xdm over the glock when I handled them everyday, I have heard the xdm needs a beefier spring with the hardcast stuff?

Leaning towards the longer barreled versions of either, but open to either. Going to call the old shop and see if they have anything. But will not be in that area for a month or so.

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
Glock all the way for me. I love my G20. I have multiple Glocks. They just plain work. Very dependable, easy to take down & clean, and I really like the glock trigger pull. In bear country I run my G20 in a Kenai chest holster rig from gunfightersinc. I put my Marsupial bino harness over top of it, and this seems to be the best way for me to carry it in the back country.

Ok here's some comparison pics if it's helpful.

My sum up:

in hand ergos = XDM
shooting control-ability = Glock (feels like it handles recoil better I think due to lower bore axis)
after market = glock (but no issues getting holsters etc with the XDM)
disassembly = tie
heavy bullets = XDM (handles 220s factory, glock seems to handle 200s ok factory)
hardcast = XDM (tho keeping a clean barrel I have had 0 issues with hardcasts with the glock)
Trigger = glock - to be fair I have an after market spring, but even factory, I am not a big fan of the XDM trigger... it was much mushier

If you have newish to handguns or NOT a known glock guy - I would say XDM
If you have other glocks and know you can shoot them - I would say glock

my .02

p7k87kXh.jpg

SzcQumjh.jpg

UcKWW3Ah.jpg

sOQpWoah.jpg

mZZtPkRh.jpg

Kxgj6Bmh.jpg

anO7gFch.jpg

WoZAzwth.jpg

7fo71Yeh.jpg

MuspqlEh.jpg

CKcvfRDh.jpg

vz0TSIHh.jpg

Ocge4idh.jpg

76BlLbfh.jpg

Both are nice, but I don't care for the back grip safety on the XDM. Seems like it could be a hindrance

Pure stock Glock 20. I am not big on aftermarket anything. I shoot full power loads and have not had an issue. They work and are fairly soft shooting considering.

Beendare

WKR
Excellent posts Riley!

I prefer the G20SF over the Springer models [though I have only shot the full size XDM in .45] reasons;

1) I like the bigger grip of the Glock [a guy with small hands might prefer the Springer, spreads the recoil. If fact my compact .40 G23 I think is snappier than my G20.

2) I like the grip angle of the Glocks. I can get higher on the gun to control muzzle flip [very little on the Glocks with the right grip]

3) I tend to heel those Xd's and Sigs.

FWIW, I shoot +P in my Glocks in a stock configuration [except for sights]- no problem...and I shoot hard cast in my G20.....as many as 300 at one ranch session..... no problems...and with minimal signs of leading.

_______

Lytro

WKR
I have a Glock 40 MOS and really like it. Like others, I'm not a fan of the back grip safety on the XDM. I prefer having an idiot proof sidearm if I ever need to scramble to use it in the field. I also like the 40 MOS because I throw a Burris Fast Fire III on it when I'm not using it as a sidearm in the mountains. I'm hoping to take a whitetail with it one of these rifle seasons if I have a doe close enough.

I chose the Glock 20. Wasn't a fan of the grip safety on the XDM bit I could live with it. It was accurate but I have other Glocks so the 20 made more sense to me. I just wish I could have found the 20 in OD green. I plan on swapping to truglos and picking up the Kenai chest rig or one of the kit bags from HPG.

def90

WKR
I’ll respond with my usual advice on “which gun is better” questions. I would recommend that you go to a range that rents both and see which one you shoot and handle better. Handguns are not a one size fits all proposition.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
Agreed, just testing the waters, without shooting I know the xdm felt better in my hands!

Rokwiia

WKR
Like a few others, I have a Glock 40 MOS. The reason I chose it versus other 10mm is because it can be dragged it through the mud, fall into a stream, dropped on the ground and it just keeps shooting.

In the woods, I want a firearm that takes a beating. It is very reliable and my 40 MOS is very accurate as well.