Glock VS. Springfield XDM in 10mm?

Anyone have a comparison? I used to sell both firearms but it has been a while ago, never fired either in a 10.

Looking for a backcountry carry gun, figured the 10mm is solid and If I ever get into grizz country I am good to go, black bears seem attracted to me, so I either need to hunt them I carry something!

Not interested in the 10mm as a proper bear round debate!
never carried a Springfield, but my glock 20 is just such a bomb proof pistol. it has spent long periods of staying wet, dirt, fern pollen like crazy, and all other coastal debris, but the thing runs like the day i bought it with little/no maintenance.

nothing to add about the XDM, i just don't have personal experience, but i think the G20 is the perfect woods gun, which comes down to reliability no matter how hard you are on it.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
What about barrel length, like the longer barrel for accuracy. though it is probably splitting hairs between 4.5 and 5.25.

I like the adjustable rear sight on the longer version.

There is no denying the reliability of the glock, but the Springfield is no slouch in that department.

Thanks for all the feedback, nothing like a gun thread to get some activity!

Sobrbiker

WKR
What about barrel length, like the longer barrel for accuracy. though it is probably splitting hairs between 4.5 and 5.25.

I like the adjustable rear sight on the longer version.

I’m shopping for a 10mm XD currently-I bought a 10mm 1911 after contacting Springfield and asking if they’d be doing a 10mm and they told me “no foreseeable date”.....6 months before They released them.

I originally wanted the 5.25 for the adj sights, then learned the rear sight is a proprietary and uncommon cut. Plus I know a 4.5 will fit great in a Kifaru medium pouch on my pack’s belt!

bdg848

WKR
I have spoken to two firearms instructors who train hundreds of people per year and both said that they greatly prefer Glock over Springfield XD. One said that of all the pistols that break in his class, about 25-50% are XD's. But this is info from people you've never met so take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: DMG

Sobrbiker

WKR
I have spoken to two firearms instructors who train hundreds of people per year and both said that they greatly prefer Glock over Springfield XD. One said that of all the pistols that break in his class, about 25-50% are XD's. But this is info from people you've never met so take it for what it's worth.

Not doubting your info, but I’m curious as to what’s breaking on the XD’s? I do know the striker roll pin had a few bad batches years and years ago-I change mine about every 5yrs.

CCH

WKR
I'm a Glock guy, and due to how long the 20 has been around, I'm inclined to recommend it. Not only can Glocks take +P, but I don't believe there is +P 10mm ammo. There is plenty loaded down to .40 S&W levels, but full power 10mm is fine in either.

Jakerex

WKR
I’d go Springfield any day of the week.....they just work and the ergonomics are much better, IMO. And anyway, Glock is like Mathews bows........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoonbill

WKR
The issue with the palm safety is, in the heat of the moment, are you going to have a good grip or may your hand be cocked to one side or too low. I’m sure if you shoot it enough, it won’t be much of an issue, but if you’re not well versed with that gun, you may not get that safety pressed down enough to fire, as where a Glocks trigger safety is almost impossible to not hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Another issue with a grip safety is that it is one more thing to break. While it is not likely to happen it has happened on XD’s. Not that this matters in terms of quality but XDs are made in Croatia whereas Glocks (for the most part) are made in the Glock factory in Georgia. Personally I would buy a glock over a springfield due to the Glock being more reliable and Springfield supported anti gun legislation in Illinois a few years ago. (Again, not a quality issue with the XD, just a personal reason.)

bdg848

WKR
Not doubting your info, but I’m curious as to what’s breaking on the XD’s? I do know the striker roll pin had a few bad batches years and years ago-I change mine about every 5yrs.
I have no idea, that's just what they said. I have no scientific data for that. John Correia and Aaron Cowen, see youtube channels 'Active Self Protection' and 'Sage Dynamics', said similar things as well. Personally, I don't like that they are priced the same as a Glock or M&P. I would rather have either of those two but honestly, I think Glocks are overpriced as well, just look at the PSA 'Dagger'

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
I once owned a XD 40 many years ago. It was supposed to be my duty weapon. Long story short, right out of the box it had massive failure to feeds, no matter what ammo I tried. I ended up having to fix the feed ramp. Sanding it, polishing it. Then I sold it.

Sobrbiker

WKR
I once owned a XD 40 many years ago. It was supposed to be my duty weapon. Long story short, right out of the box it had massive failure to feeds, no matter what ammo I tried. I ended up having to fix the feed ramp. Sanding it, polishing it. Then I sold it.

Not surprised, even as an XD fan I do not like it in 40.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my glock 20 since I was in the service. I got out in 04. I love the 10mm.

Attachments

• 20200912_211313.jpg
    20200912_211313.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 45

PA Hunter

WKR
Nothing but trouble from my last Springfield and I would never buy another, glad i sold it. By the way you can shoot Underwood Hard cast coated ammo in the stock Glock barrel my friend called up Glock about that.

Beendare

WKR
Nothing but trouble from my last Springfield and I would never buy another, glad i sold it. By the way you can shoot Underwood Hard cast coated ammo in the stock Glock barrel my friend called up Glock about that.

Yep, I've thoroughly tested my G20 with hundreds of rounds at a time of the Underwood 200gr hard cast ammo. [cost me big bucks to do it- but it gave me piece of mind]

You do start to get some discoloration in the rear 1/2 of the barrel after about 200rds but no signs of overpressure. I wouldn't shoot it for years with hard cast without cleaning or anything like that.

I bought springs, etc anticipating I would need to change- nope.... so far zero malfunctions in my G20 after 700 rds of hard cast and another 500 rds of factory FMJ.

I really like the G20 10mm. Its powerful but controllable. On the other hand, my G23 is the least accurate pistol I own....small and snappy, the G20 is powerful....but not as much muzzle rise.

____

PA Hunter

WKR
Yep, I've thoroughly tested my G20 with hundreds of rounds at a time of the Underwood 200gr hard cast ammo. [cost me big bucks to do it- but it gave me piece of mind]

You do start to get some discoloration in the rear 1/2 of the barrel after about 200rds but no signs of overpressure. I wouldn't shoot it for years with hard cast without cleaning or anything like that.

I bought springs, etc anticipating I would need to change- nope.... so far zero malfunctions in my G20 after 700 rds of hard cast and another 500 rds of factory FMJ.

I really like the G20 10mm. Its powerful but controllable. On the other hand, my G23 is the least accurate pistol I own....small and snappy, the G20 is powerful....but not as much muzzle rise.

____
My friends just got charged by grizzly in Wyoming Thorofare 2 weeks ago field dressing an archery elk. One had 45 acp he aimed in front trying to scare it other guy had 9mm with Buffalo bore hardcast 3 shots to chest 5 yds away did nothing to the bear. It did run off though. I think a 10 mm or better is the way to go.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
There will be no warning shots if I were ever charged by a bear!!! I don't understand the hesitation to shoot charging bears, I have seen some video of sketchy situations where guys fired into the ground or whatever.

No way, every shot would count so long as I can keep it together!

Are all the gen 4 glocks the slim frame?

2ski

WKR
Does noone shot 230gr hard cast from double tap?
I do through my G20.

Also, I've never heard not to shoot +p through a Glock? I've heard not to through any S&W but not Glocks.

Does noone shot 230gr hard cast from double tap?
I do through my G20.

Also, I've never heard not to shoot +p through a Glock? I've heard not to through any S&W but not Glocks.

Factory barrel? Do they tumble? I've seen several vids with 220+ hardcasts tumbling... Curious you experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Factory barrel? Do they tumble? I've seen several vids with 220+ hardcasts tumbling... Curious you experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have KKM barrels in 2 of my g20s, I don’t get any tumbling and have roughly 3-500 rounds of 220g underwood hard cast through both of those 2 pistols to check function along with a few thousand regular range rounds through each. Zero problems.