GLOVE RECOMMENDATIONS - WARM, WATERPROOF AND ABILITY TO WORK A TRIGGER

Oregonboy

WKR
Hello,

I've froze my fingers off for the last time and am ready to spend some money on a nice pair of gloves.

I would love something that's warm, waterproof and ones that I can feel the trigger with. This will mostly be used for waterfowling.

I was looking at a pair of decoy gloves for setting up, however I'd prefer something I can wear all day. It might make sense to get long decoy gloves for set up and take down, but I need a pair that I can wear in the blind while holding the cold, wet shotgun.

The Sitka Pantanal's look pretty close to what I'm looking for but I've never seen a pair in real life and don't know anyone who ones them. I'm very open to recommendations.

Thanks for the help!

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
My hands freeze in about anything, the best thing for me is a handwarmer in a muff, or even pockets. My warmest pair of gloves is a set of Under Armour, but they are thick and could be tough in some trigger gaurds.

Shraggs

WKR
Honestly I like wool. Rag wool, or rag wool plus thinsulate. Foxx I think.

very warm, they breath which is important to me, as waterproof gloves I sweat in and get cold. Also if my hands do get wet my hands still easily go in the glove if I have to take them off. Nit bulky at all so triuger is no problem.

Not waterproof, but a fellow Rokslider recommended rei gortex mitts. Just a very light weight shell I can throw on fir wet or add warmth.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
That combination does not exist. Anything that is truly warm will be too bulky for good shooting.

You will need to get a liner glove and an outer shell. The liner keeps some insulation while allowing for dexterity. The shell provides warmth and is waterproof.

Personally I use a liner glove and mittens as they are warmer than a glove.

Rodéo

WKR
My fingers usually get really cold as well. I'll be trying out the sitka jetstream gloves on wednesday for waterfowl. I'll update with how they did. Not waterproof but water resistant, shouldn't be a problem as long as they don't get soaked.

peterk123

WKR
Thin silk glove and a good handwarmer for me. Those handwarmers work so well that I have to take my hands out to cool them on all but the coldest day. And they do not cost a lot of money neither.

Try a thin leather glove. Elk hide is usually really good for softness. The leather is not warm in the way of insulation but keeps the wind and cold air off your skin. It allows you to stay warmer for longer. Then add a few hand warmers in the pocket.

OP
Oregonboy

Oregonboy

WKR
That combination does not exist. Anything that is truly warm will be too bulky for good shooting.

That's what I was thinking as well, this combo doesn't exist. realistically, you can probably on pick 2 of those options for any glove.

I ordered a hand warmer and will try that in my mitts. I'm also gonna pick up some decoy gloves for set up and take down to keep my hands warm during that time. I'm gonna snag the decoy gloves tonight and I have a hand warmer on order that will arrive on Thursday. I'll be back in the blind this weekend and will update everyone on how the new combo works out.

Brendan

WKR
Hello,

I've froze my fingers off for the last time and am ready to spend some money on a nice pair of gloves.

I would love something that's warm, waterproof and ones that I can feel the trigger with. This will mostly be used for waterfowling.

I was looking at a pair of decoy gloves for setting up, however I'd prefer something I can wear all day. It might make sense to get long decoy gloves for set up and take down, but I need a pair that I can wear in the blind while holding the cold, wet shotgun.

The Sitka Pantanal's look pretty close to what I'm looking for but I've never seen a pair in real life and don't know anyone who ones them. I'm very open to recommendations.

Thanks for the help!

I have the Pantanal. So far, I like them but I can't say I've been using them that long. Good enough trigger feel and safety feel for my A400.

They're not uninsulated, but not heavy insulation either. They're basically trying to give you adequate dexterity to operate a shotgun, and some insulation and gore-tex. Really cold weather I'm guessing they won't be warm enough.

I’m pretty wussy when it comes to cold hands. I just wear some snowboard mitten style gloves. Keeps me plenty warm. I just keep the one on my right hand loose and rip it off to shoot.

Works great for big game, not so sure how it’s work for water fowl. I’m all for keeping the hands as warm as possible.

I know it’s not idea but when I duck hunt I’m gonna try a glove liner with fingers inside the mittens and just rip them off. Who knows.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
It's going to be really hard to meet all your criteria. First one aside:

- is your trigger guard designed for fitting thick gloves? Mine wasn't. I couldn't figure out how my wife could use such thick gloves for winter hunting, when I couldn't. Then I compared the trigger guard on her SBE3 to my Ethos. So I bought a SBE3 trigger assembly and popped it into my Ethos. Boom, I could shoot with much thicker gloves on. (pic is the SBE3 assembly in my gun, old assembly below it)

IMG_1636.jpeg

My wife has horribly cold hands. She shoots with Outdoor Research Axel 3-finger mitts. Seems to do OK, but it's too much mitt for me.

D97B72BB-ED1E-4262-B45E-B0E3C481873A.jpeg

I think it was -5F in this photo, a good test of a mitt.
IMG_9366.jpeg

I don't have a good photo, but I often use Outdoor Research Transcendent Down gloves in the duck blind, on the kind of days when you have to break the ice off the surface to put the decoys out. They do not work when wet though, so I just use insulated rubber "commercial fisherman's" gloves when handling decoys.

I also use OR Extravert Gloves for winter shooting, lots of dexterity in a technical ice climbing glove! But, those are better for upland hunting, when I'm moving the whole time. Won't help a ton sitting still in a below freezing duck blind.

In the end, on vicious wet days in a duck swamp, I load up on hand warmer packets.

The one other trick I learned from handling frozen ropes on boats in the winter is to get my core sooooo hot that I'm glad my hands are cold. Get a furnace of a puffy jacket and wear a huge fisherman's wool sweater underneath. You'll need bare hands to cool off.

SonnyDay

WKR
I have also been in search of a good pair of cold weather gloves that retain decent dexterity. Currently using the mitt and liner approach. The Mitts I got are the KUIU Super Down Glomitt... and they have a little slot that lets your trigger finger out without needing to remove the glove. Obviously, if you dunk your hand in the water or if it's really pissing rain that could be a problem. But for snowy and cold they've been good so far. Mitts are super warm.

You will need to get a liner glove and an outer shell. The liner keeps some insulation while allowing for dexterity. The shell provides warmth and is waterproof.

I also use a liner glove and a shell mitten.
I made the shell mitten from an old pair of breathable waders...easily to slip my trigger hand out of.
When its really cold, like boating 50 miles back from camp in a boat with no windshield,
I put a chemical warmer in the shell mitten and wear another polarfleece mitten inside that.
duck_camp.jpg

mlgc20

WKR

Agree 100% with Marbles. I tried endless types and brands of gloves in search of the “one”. It just doesn’t really exist. The two glove system is actually very freeing. I have a pair of Smartwool 150 gloves that I always carry. Then a shell gloves comes with me when necessary.

Rodéo

WKR
My fingers usually get really cold as well. I'll be trying out the sitka jetstream gloves on wednesday for waterfowl. I'll update with how they did. Not waterproof but water resistant, shouldn't be a problem as long as they don't get soaked.
Thought I'd update this post since I ended up using them. They are not what you're looking for OP. They do not stand up to the wet conditions encountered on the marsh and my hand ended up getting soaked and cold most of the time I took out the gloves to use for waterfowl. Still good gloves as long as they don't get wet but they are a no go for waterfowl imo.

Not sure they exist. Best thing I've found is a thinner pair that you can feel the trigger through, maybe work your cell phone if you need that, and then keep your hands in a muff or a jacket with a built in muff until you need them.

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
Here in the PNW, my hands are always cold and wet. Been looking for a solution and found the Kast Steelhead gloves. I don't yet have experience with them but they might fit the bill.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Hello,

Thanks for the help!

Try a thin liner glove like the one from Kuiu and you can use the deadfall glove from Skre gear which are insulated and water repellent. These are like the mountain gloves from Sitka but at 25 dollars from the Skre outlet.

RCB

WKR
A glove that is warm AND waterproof AND maintains dexterity? Probably doesn’t exist. If it’s think enough to be warm, you’re probably not gonna be able to shoot with it. I guess it depends on how cold the weather is...
When I’m dealing with really cold weather, I go with randy newberg’s method: chopper mittens. Warm and comfy. Gotta take them off to do any fine finger work, but that’s fine.

jakeuac

FNG
I used the Kuiu Yukon Gloves. In comibination with my Delta Wading jacket, I am able to be waterproof enough to dip my hand in and pick up decoys. The dexterity is questionable, but its something you would have to get out and get used to.