Gloves for Kodiak?

Northpark

WKR
Pretty simple question. For anyone that’s been to Kodiak or just hunts in wet and cold which gloves should I be looking at? Supposed to be going fall 2021 on a deer hunt. I’ll have my down mitts and I’m familiar with cold but generally dry conditions. Wet conditions add a new element.

Thanks

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Pretty simple question. For anyone that’s been to Kodiak or just hunts in wet and cold which gloves should I be looking at? Supposed to be going fall 2021 on a deer hunt. I’ll have my down mitts and I’m familiar with cold but generally dry conditions. Wet conditions add a new element.

Thanks

Not sure if you're going early or later fall, and if you're tent camping on a drop hunt, or you're based out of a boat, etc. Regardless, you're thinking is right on...wet and cold...but wet and cold can get pretty extreme given those other factors.

If your deer hunt is later fall and tent camping/hiking on the Rock (Kodiak), then consider both options below.

Yukon Pro Glove - Waterproof Hunting Gloves | KUIU
Northstar Hunting Glove - Insulated Hunting Gloves | KUIU

I do two-week remote drop hunts for moose every fall in western AK (late September), living out of a tent. I've also added a few late fall (end of Oct/early Nov) remote tent hunts on the Rock for mountain goat and deer. For all my fall hunts the Yukons are my every day go-to gloves up here, but the Northstars are always with me as well...and I have been really glad to have them on the colder days/nites. Both sets of those gloves have had a lot of hard use over the last few years, always kept my hands dry and warm, and they are still going strong for next year.

You are going to really cherish the experience of hunting Kodiak...best of luck to you.

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
Thanks for the info guys. The plan is looking like a late season hunt to hit the rut. Tent camp after getting dropped off with a bush plane so weight is somewhat important just for flight weight but not exactly counting oz.

bowonly

FNG
I hunted Kodiak last November. If you want to try an alternative, consider taking oversized, heavy rubber gloves which are popular with some Alaskans. Like those orange gloves you see on a lot of boats. Buy oversize so you can pull over your expensive, lighter gloves. They are cheap, tough as hell for dealing with the brush, totally waterproof, windproof, and great for field dressing animals. They even sell lined ones. Yeah, you will have to take them off for fine work. Buy two pair to trade off days, so they dry out inside.