Gloves for Process Elk in the Cold

Any suggestions for some warm(ish) gloves for quartering elk in the extreme cold?

I'm pretty good with cold, until it comes to my hands. I shot one this year in -15F. I seriously thought I was losing a finger at one point. All I can think of is those thinner mechanics gloves, but I'm guessing they'll be worthless once they get wet or bloody.

KineKilla

WKR
I'd look for some neoprene gloves. Maybe the ones they use when working in a freezer all day?

My hands get cold pretty easily. I think you just have to stop and warm them occasionally. Sucks when they're covered with gore but....

Some people will start a small fire to stay warm or to warm up with while on the mountain.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

jolemons

WKR
I'd start by making sure to use nitrile gloves in order to keep the blood from soaking into whatever glove you choose.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
I haven’t got the chance yet, but I am set to try the idea I got from a meateater podcast. I bought a pair of black diamond glove liners and some xxl raven heavy duty 6 mil nitrile gloves to put over the top.

TX_Diver

WKR
I butchered a pig outside in WI last November. I used thin nitrile mechanics gloves w/ a hand warmer inside each one against the back of my hand and a cut resistant glove on my left hand. An extra set of handwarmers in my pocket to grab when I wasn't actively cutting or needed to warm up my hands (yes this gets your pockets dirty).

Wasn't too bad and I was at it for 3 hours or so (had never cut up a pig before). Ambient temp was probably 15-30 over the course of the morning.

1aaBNhbh.jpg

You can also take a break and do pushups, jog in place, etc. Anything to keep circulation going.

jmez

WKR
Any suggestions for some warm(ish) gloves for quartering elk in the extreme cold?

I'm pretty good with cold, until it comes to my hands. I shot one this year in -15F. I seriously thought I was losing a finger at one point. All I can think of is those thinner mechanics gloves, but I'm guessing they'll be worthless once they get wet or bloody.
Pair of cotton roping gloves with latex or nitrile over top of them.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
Pair of cotton roping gloves with latex or nitrile over top of them.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

At home butchering sheep I don't do much for my hands because I can finish them before they cool down (highly motivating to be quick when you're working outside in WI during the winter :D )

But I have put thin liner gloves under the nitrile exam gloves in the past too. Thinking more about it that may be what I did w/ that pig (still w/ the handwarmer on the back of the hand inside the glove).

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
I’m following this also as out here in below zero I’ve had the same problem with freezing hands. I’ve just had to stop and warm up then get back at it as long as I can.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Go to your local farm store and find cotton glove liners. They generally come in a multi pack and are intended to go under rubber gloves. They’re also generally ‘one size fits all’. They’re not fancy and they are inexpensive. Put these under an appropriately sized nitrile glove. Make certain your nitrile gloves are NOT too tight. Put on a second pair of nitriles. This way you have insulation under your nitriles. If/when you need to have clean hands for a task, remove the outer pair and discard them. Put on a clean pair, so now you’re back to double nitriles over your liners, perform your clean hand task and then go back to work.

We do the same while processing game, especially sausage.

wyosam

WKR
I use the neoprene mittens I wear for early season kayaking. Toasty, and the dexterity is good enough to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I butchered a pig outside in WI last November. I used thin nitrile mechanics gloves w/ a hand warmer inside each one against the back of my hand and a cut resistant glove on my left hand. An extra set of handwarmers in my pocket to grab when I wasn't actively cutting or needed to warm up my hands (yes this gets your pockets dirty).

Wasn't too bad and I was at it for 3 hours or so (had never cut up a pig before). Ambient temp was probably 15-30 over the course of the morning.

1aaBNhbh.jpg

You can also take a break and do pushups, jog in place, etc. Anything to keep circulation going.
+1 for cut resistant gloves. I shot an elk this year just before dark late November and it quickly dropped into the teens. I put a hand warmer on the backside of each hand inside the cut resistant glove and had no issues at all. Next time I will add a nitrile glove on the outside layer. I love the cut resistant gloves because I always end up in a hurry and make some stupid mistake. They can be had for less than $10 on amazon and go through the wash just fine.

OP
A
I haven’t got the chance yet, but I am set to try the idea I got from a meateater podcast. I bought a pair of black diamond glove liners and some xxl raven heavy duty 6 mil nitrile gloves to put over the top.
That seems like a clever idea. I’ll give that a try too.

+1 for cut resistant gloves. I shot an elk this year just before dark late November and it quickly dropped into the teens. I put a hand warmer on the backside of each hand inside the cut resistant glove and had no issues at all. Next time I will add a nitrile glove on the outside layer. I love the cut resistant gloves because I always end up in a hurry and make some stupid mistake. They can be had for less than $10 on amazon and go through the wash just fine.
I might buy some cut resistant gloves for my hunting partner!

He always scares the hell out of me that he's going to cut himself badly in the backcounty.
He cut his finger badly last year taking his broadheads off after our 10 day hunt. I watched it happen...

This is the same guy that accidentally lit my porch on fire, got my truck impounded in a 3rd world country & sunk his boat...

Showa Atlas 460 Vinylove Cold Resistant Insulated Gloves - Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007MBDZMK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glc_fabc_Azq3FbEF0XMNG
These insulated atlas gloves are great for that. Takes some getting use to with the knife hand but your hands will be warm.

or do as mentioned above at a glove liner below a set of disposable gloves.

I used those atlas gloves in Alaska. Wet cold hands are no fun.

JakeSCH

WKR
following this. I've just brought cheap gloves the last few years knowingly that I will throw them away after the fact. Luckily guts are warm and help.

I might buy some cut resistant gloves for my hunting partner!

He always scares the hell out of me that he's going to cut himself badly in the backcounty.
He cut his finger badly last year taking his broadheads off after our 10 day hunt. I watched it happen...

This is the same guy that accidentally lit my porch on fire, got my truck impounded in a 3rd world country & sunk his boat...
They are standard PPE in the meat processing industry. Not sure why but they are relatively unknown outside those circles. I find all kinds of uses for them.

I worked on three elk while wearing a pair of cut resistant gloves. I bought whatever was the most resistant at home depot. My hands never got cold and the grip was excellent. It wasn't super cold but was definitely chilly. On the next one, I will wear a nitrile inside on my left hand. I don't care if the cut resistant gloves gets bloody, if it keeps my hands cleaner. The cut resistant gloves washed up fine when I cleaned my game bags.

I normally wear the "reusable" cleaning gloves sold in two packs.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
when it's really cold, nothing like a warming fire nearby :)

an oversize nitrile over a thin liner glove works pretty well, still have the dexterity you need, but much warmer than straight nitrile gloves

mtnkid85

WKR
I guess Ive never had to process an animal in scary cold temps. Ive certainly done a few in the 0* realm though and never had any issues just wearing a pair of the cheap rubber coated cotton gloves that you can get in a six pack at home depot. Easy to wash them out afterwards when you get back home too.