Gloves for Process Elk in the Cold

RO1459

FNG
when it's really cold, nothing like a warming fire nearby :)

an oversize nitrile over a thin liner glove works pretty well, still have the dexterity you need, but much warmer than straight nitrile gloves
This is what I have done for years and it works. I build the fire about 20 feet away.

BDRam16

WKR
Definitely the neoprene fishing gloves. They won’t get ruined after being soaked in blood and will keep your hands nice and toasty without being too bulky.

OP
A
thanks for the tips! I’m gonna grab a pair of cut resistant gloves and see how that works. Next up is cotton liners with nitrile gloves over top.

I’m super wussy when it comes to my hands being cold. My feet are always good, my body rarely gets cold unless I’m just sitting glossing. But my hands feel like they’re just wet and buried in snow the second I take my mittens off.

hobbes

WKR
Elk are pretty warm, so I've not done anything special as long as I have my hands on the elk. A fire is the best bet once I take my hands away from warm meat. I've rarely had nitrile gloves in my pack. It's somehow always a "next time item". I've mostly done the work with cheap cotton gloves or cheap work gloves that are thrown away afterwards. The last two cows that I did in some seriously cold weather should have included a fire but once the cutting started I didn't want to stop. When I tossed the wet gloves off to grab a hand warmer and a dry pair, the wet ones froze almost immediately in the shape of my hands. There was a big dead tree that the cow had lodged against with a ton of limbs that were perfect for burning that I should have used for a fire before I started cutting. The buddy that helped me pack the following day pointed that out right off,. "I'd have burned that whole tree, what were you thinking?". Well, apparently I wasn't.

The ideas above are great and I need to set up that way, but you won't beat a fire for staying warm. The problem is not all elk are killed where that's possible.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
those look pretty good, all in one

the problem with nitrile over liners is you need to go really big on the nitrile to comfortably fit over a liner glove, so big they don’t work well on their own for chores where only a nitrile gloved is needed

also not much cut resistance

CJF

WKR
I always just put Nitrile gloves over the top of my merino wool (liner) gloves. Not sure that would work in sub zero temps, I don't think I've processed game at less than 20 or so like this......seems like a fire is necessary at those temps!

Buck197

WKR
Tractor supply if youve got one nearby, those white(you can get em in alot of colors, mostly in stock is white), the cotton gloves, looks like glove liners, and nitrile over the top of em. You can usually get the glove itself in a 12 pack..like beer, for reasonable. In a pinch nrsworld.com roping gloves, buy em by the 12 pack. Any bigger name brand sort of ranch store probably carries them.

2ski

WKR
You can buy nitrile insulated gloves. More or less like the grippy insulated gloves you buy at the hardware store or gas station.

Ralphie

WKR
If it was a big bull that I was going to cape on the spot and it was going to take awhile and it was really cold I’d probably start a fire and use nitrile gloves over a roping glove. A cow, idk, it’d have to be dang cold. Cutting up a cow without worrying about horns or cape goes dang fast and elk are warm. But hey a nice fire never hurts.

I had my son with me once when he was 3 or 4 when I’d killed a cow he said he was cold and I did start a fire for him. He sat by it and talked my ear off while I worked on the cow.1F96188F-38BE-4D7F-9995-C94D110F4B5F.jpeg

Pro tip on the cut resistant gloves with nitride over them - they also work when what you're working on is too hot to handle. For example, pulling a pork shoulder, much easier to work with when you're not burning your hands.

OP
A
If it was a big bull that I was going to cape on the spot and it was going to take awhile and it was really cold I’d probably start a fire and use nitrile gloves over a roping glove. A cow, idk, it’d have to be dang cold. Cutting up a cow without worrying about horns or cape goes dang fast and elk are warm. But hey a nice fire never hurts.

I had my son with me once when he was 3 or 4 when I’d killed a cow he said he was cold and I did start a fire for him. He sat by it and talked my ear off while I worked on the cow.View attachment 245945
Awesome!

mice done the fire but usually when it’s that cold it’s hard to find wood that does much more than smoke :). But it sure looks pretty having a fire.

this year my elk was just before last light, -20F. My hands were so cold! I shot my cow a month later on a sunny morning maybe 15F. The sun and day time make a huge difference.

I had my son with me once when he was 3 or 4 when I’d killed a cow he said he was cold and I did start a fire for him. He sat by it and talked my ear off while I worked on the cow.View attachment 245945
Ha! That's why I don't shoot big bulls. Sounds better anyway than saying I suck as a trophy hunter...

Hunt like the one above will carry more memories.