Gloves for the extreme cold

Phaseolus

WKR
Zap mentioned Outdoor Research mitts. I agree, I‘ve used them for years starting with backcountry hut to hut xc ski trips. They are warm and versatile. The shell is gore-tex and the models I use have wrist leashes which are great in windy situations or when you want to shed the shell without leaving it behind and on chairlifts. Put a handwarmer in them and they’re good for almost any temperature. I use various mitts or gloves under the shell based on temperatures. I also have carried just the waterproof shell for use in archery season but have switched to the Bora Gear shell for early seasons and backpacking because of their low weight and small size.

My fingers get cold easily so I tried a handful of things. After wasting money on sub-par solutions, on backpackinglight.com I found the RBH Vapor Mitt highly recommended. It's expensive but for non-frozen fingers it was worth it! The liner I got has a pocket on top to put hand warmers too.

RBH Vapor Mitt

Very nice family business with one of them answering the phone and questions when I called.

Htm84

WKR
Zap mentioned Outdoor Research mitts. I agree, I‘ve used them for years starting with backcountry hut to hut xc ski trips. They are warm and versatile. The shell is gore-tex and the models I use have wrist leashes which are great in windy situations or when you want to shed the shell without leaving it behind and on chairlifts. Put a handwarmer in them and they’re good for almost any temperature. I use various mitts or gloves under the shell based on temperatures. I also have carried just the waterproof shell for use in archery season but have switched to the Bora Gear shell for early seasons and backpacking because of their low weight and small size.
I have a pair of the alti mitts. These things are crazy warm. Pretty pricey but you can get some on eBay for about 100 bucks. Pretty sure these are US made as well.

RCB

WKR
Gotta be mittens. Nothing substitutes for balling up your fists inside of a warm mitten. I’ve used LL Bean wool mittens + leather choppers, and OR down mittens. Both work well for the cold.

Howler80

FNG
Not sure if mentioned yet but give Canada goose a try, gloves jackets, parkas but not cheap ouch

dugedug

FNG
I run either a set of OR Zenith gloves with Zenith Mitt covers or my OR Firebrands. A lot more bulk with the Firebrands but much warmer. If I'm active then the Zeniths work fine.

Lando

WKR
The only problem with the kinco mittens, is that the insulation separates your fingers which somewhat defeats the purpose of mittens, but they are very warm.

I’d take a look at a pair of leather chopper mittens and a wool mitten liner like the ones made by Fox River then coat the leather with sno seal.

Another extremely warm option are the mittens made by Wiggy's.

Last edited:
Kuiu glo-mitt’s are incredibly warm. My hands and feet suffer from neuropathy and get cold very easily. After two years of watching the glo-mitts I bought them this year, I have to be careful because my hands will sweat now.

Wrench

WKR
I've got the OR shells and down mittens for uber cold, rags, polar ice....etc for varied conditions.

If it's 15 below or more, I go straight to a gauntlet mitten as none of the gloves I've used are any good with a 3# trigger when I'm borderline shivering. I use the mits to set up, then shoot with spandex/silicone or bear hands and put my mits back on immediately.

When it's that old, most critters are more focused on feeding than anything else and will offer the time needed.

I use clam ice fishing mittens with wool mitten liners for plowing snow on 4 wheeler during sub zero temp in northern Minnesota

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

Lawnboi

WKR
I got the Kuiu north star glomitt this year on super sale prior to winter. It’s a winner. I’m anti mittens. I cant do anything with a mit on. The glomit fixes that, it’s been warm, waterproof. Size up and use a liner glove underneath it, If it’s cold enough to justify wearing it your going to need something when they come off anyways.

For when actually active and using hands significant Insulation = sweaty mess even if below zero.

I have been using sitka windstopper gloves for 5 or 6 years. I think they are called the mountain glove, with a nice leather palm and a thin fleece lining. They allow great dexterity and keep the wind off your hands. They are expensive but I love em and they have held up well to work use.

Just choppers with hand warmers if not active. I have been eyeing some lighter more mountaineering style options for a couple years though.

Blandry

WKR
Could die of hyperthermia I'm so hot natured but my hands, feet, and ears are things I try to keep warm. I have some sitka delta GTX waterfowl gloves..you'll never have cold hands in these and they're fairly lightweight.

If I need dexterity I remove my gloves, If i need warmth I put my gloves on.. I have some cheap fleece no finger sub-gloves for comfort I can wear under the Sitkas.

I don't live in a place where I could lose fingers or anything.