Gloves, gaiters, microspikes

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Well the 10 day Dall hunt, packing list is about complete.
Only about 2 items left undecided. Which gloves? Light weight liners, heavy gauntlets, or the blue “breathable” rubber Showas.

Also what about gaiters? To take or not to take? We don’t have the fancy Kuius, but the knockoff amazon rippers.

Thoughts?

OP
F

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
How about microspikes? Pack em or not. I sure love em....but they’re not light.

OFFHNTN

WKR
Gloves are a personal choice. Some like thin, some like heavy, some don't like any.
100% yes on the gators. I wear them on almost all of my hunts. They are great for so many things.
I would ask your outfitter about the terrain and the need for microspikes. If you aren't using an outfitter, can you google the country you will be hunting and see what is consists of?

Good luck!

Gaiters are an interesting one.. I'm surprised by how many people wear them all the time. I hate wearing mine because of all the extra sweating they cause unless they are needed to keep snow from getting inside pants from the bottom. Never had frequent enough shallow stream crossings to find the benefit there. Maybe it's a product of where people hunt..

I'm packing them to the brooks range this august and I'll let my guide convince me if they should stay at base camp or come with.

Thin gloves if any, no gaiters for me as I just don't feel like they do enough to warrant bringing them on a sheep or goat hunt. Micro spikes only if I know I'll be on a glacier or slippery ass Kodiak side hills. Certainly do not bring them for any interior AK mountain hunts. Have a great hunt! Almost time.

OP
F

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the opinions.

Ya the microspikes are a hard one. I doubt I’ll come across and ice/snow. But man sometimes those are an nice in that slippery sub alpine veg.

Ya I like gaiters when there’s snow. Now sure about wo snow tho. It’s nice to have dry pant legs. But...more to screw around with and end up carrying.

I gotta have gloves tho. Will likely go w the blue rubbers.

npm352

WKR
I do not like Kuiu gaiters in snow at all. Got a pair to try for lion season last winter and they do not seal to your boot well. Sitka gaiters are a complete joke so I would stay away.

I have had good success with OR crocodile gaiters.

Best of luck!!!

https://www.hillsound.com/products/trail-crampon?variant=14125796687983

These are worth their weight in gold and work so well. Yes they show them on a light hiking shoe, but they work great with hunting boots or pack boots. I have a pair of Whites Dry-foot leather boots and Schnees Hunter II pack boots. They give you so much surer footing and make it a lot easier going up and down and sure help you conserve energy. Worth the weight to have in your pack when they are needed!!

https://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/?color=red&size=small

Here's some more spikes to consider. I believe both products are excellent.

Jimss

WKR
No gators for me! I always have quality breathable rain pants so no need for the extra weight, bulk, and sweating caused by gators! If your pants get wet under rain pants it's time to get another set of rain pants! I always bring thin waterproof gloves with windstopper…..also great for mtn goat hunting in devil's club!

cdohtodd

FNG
I almost always wear gators OR and Yukon both work for me. I don’t notice the extra weight and they keep my boots dry when crossing water.
Ragwool gloves plus the orange AK fishing gloves cover most situations