Gloves

Catchfish

WKR
I have never found anything that I love to wear for gloves. I’m in Alaska and what I’m looking for is something for busting brush to get above tree line. My hands get hot easy so insulation isn’t needed. I do want something that will dry quickly if hung in a dry place in the wind. I’ve tried misc gloves and normally end up carrying a set of thin knit wool gloves because even when wet they keep me warm but they are not tough and so I always end up putting them in my pockets when busting brush so my hands are always trashed. Let me know what people have liked. When moose hunting I can normally bring leather and get them dried we have a decent camp where I can do that.

Thanks

KUIU Guide gloves are awesome for that purpose, I love mine. Use them for pretty much everything, including around the house. Not overly warm, but I've used them down in the teens without issue as long as you're moving.

Mechanix? They are pretty tough. That said mine are KUIU. Merino with a light shell over them.

What types have you tried?

Selway

FNG
Have you tried Chilly Grips? I use them for working conditions like you describe with good luck.

OP
C

Catchfish

WKR
I’ve tried several pairs of mechanix gloves they worked but got wet and never dried great. I also have the thin merino liner glove they are nice but will be destroyed if used only. Is there a certain style of mechanix you like

Gonna look up the chilly grips, they look a lot like atlas gloves.

My biggest issue is normally the devils club we have here

K

Kootenay Hunter

First Lite Shale Glove - it's a hybird, merino on the back, leather in the palm, warm and tough sound like what you're looking for. worked great for working through brush, etc.

slowelk

WKR
I haven't busted willow like you likely are in Alaska, but a good, pretty tough combo I wear when it's cold is the Sitka Traverse with a fingerless rag-wool liner on top that have a grippy palm. I think that grippy palm increases durability, and the traverse material proved to be up to some tough work this year.

*zap*

WKR
Gorilla grip gloves. Very good, inexpensive, light glove that provide good dexterity while wearing them. At $6 or less a pair they last fairly well. Skin tight, rubber coated palm/lower fingers and breathable backside/cuff. I was wearing mechanix gloves a lot but have basically switched over to these for 75% of my normal glove use because of the better dexterity. Probably will not last as long as mechanix, thou.

They are a very thin 'grippy' glove, no padding.

Definitely worth a try to see if they will fit your application.

Last edited:
OP
C

Catchfish

WKR
Do your hands get hot in the gorilla grips, Ive tried something like that those may work.
I’ve looked at the KUIU guide and FL shake they look nice I’m afraid for 60-65 bucks and they don’t work I’m gonna be a little perturbed with myself

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
I also live in AK and have been very satisfied with my FL shale gloves. The leather palms, fingers, and knuckles are devils club proof, but the merino back is not if you brush up against it. The dexterity is as good as it gets in my opinion as far as leather palmed gloves go. They’re also flexible enough to stuff in a cargo pocket - I don’t like wearing gloves unless I’m hiking through the real nasty stuff.

*zap*

WKR
Do your hands get hot in the gorilla grips, Ive tried something like that those may work.
I’ve looked at the KUIU guide and FL shake they look nice I’m afraid for 60-65 bucks and they don’t work I’m gonna be a little perturbed with myself

No, the back side is a light mesh so they vent well. I imagine they would dry well also if you turned them inside out and hung in a breeze. They are really worth a shot......you can get some on ebay. Sizing is accurate but they fit tight.

Shot my bow with them on for 30-40 minutes at under freezing temps with a good breeze and my hands were ok for warmth. Which was surprising because they are so light.

*zap*

WKR
This mechanic says that the same pair has lasted him for a month and he washes them.

Last edited:

The KUIU Guide gloves feel like a form fitted, old leather glove, if that makes sense. I just like the feel more than anything. Great protection, while still have pretty good dexterity. They're moisture resistant, but if you get them wet through them in your coat and they'll be dry in no time. I won't shoot with my trigger glove on though, a bit too bulky, if that matters to you.