Gloves

lck90

FNG
The cheapest gloves First Lite sells are their best ones...I have the full finger touch talus gloves (the touch screen function works better than any other glove I've ever had with that function on it) and the fingerless that I'll put on over them. Then when sitting glassing I have Enlightened Equipment down mittens.

I’ll have to look into those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been looking for the right set of gloves for 25 years and haven’t found them yet. I have been buying the cheap knit gripper dot gloves that come in a pack of green, black, and camo and just using hand warmers. If it’s really cold I’ll wear a heavy glove on my off hand and the thinner one on my shooting hand.

KUIU Axis. I think I have low blood pressure in my extremities..... my feet and fingers always get cold. The axis glove have a lot of warmth but I am comfortable shooting a bow with them and I think a gun would be fine as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
If you are just sitting in a stand I personally like to use a lighter glove for dexterity with one of those hand warming pouches.
+1
I have tried lots of gloves, including all of the Kuiu except the mittens (and sometimes wearing several in combination). Of those, I think the Northstar were the best, but I wouldn't say they permit much dexterity.

I *think* the problem is that no clothing does anything other than to retain heat, and your body naturally reduces blood flow to hands and feet first. If you aren't moving around, or you get your hands wet, I've found I can't keep my hands warm - period. The one exception was last year I sat in a deer stand at ~20 degrees with lots of wind for 12 hours and wore only the very relatively thin Sitka Fanatic gloves but kept my hands, along with two hand warmers, inside of the Sitka Incinerator Muff. My hands didn't start to even tingle until about the 10th hour when the second hand warmer ran out. Note - don't leave your cell phone inside a muff, as it is very humid in there. The zipper pocket works well though to keep the battery going well.

Vandy321

WKR
Have the KUIU guide gloves...they are far from warm. I throw on a pair of OR synthetic black gloves underneath when it gets cold. The KUIU are fairly durable and dexterity is good, but not warm enough sub 35 degrees or so for me (I run cold).

Added a pair of the FL puffy gloves, (brooks maybe?) for glassing...comparable to the OR puffy gloves at around $55.

Sucks having to carry 3 pairs of gloves...following for some better options for next year.

I’ve learned to keep my hands in my pockets as much as possible, when static. I also use this as an excuse to make a cup of coffee so I have a warm cup to hold.

I like a cheap pair of insulated leather cattleman gloves also treated with sno seal. Warm, waterproof, and lower profile than winter/ski gloves.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Outdoor Research Alibi II gloves for if you are active at those temps. They’re made for ice climbing, come in at a decent price on Amazon and work great. I use them at work for pat downs and searches outside while at work, they’re puncture resistant enough I don’t have to worry about accidental sharp exposure but tactile enough I can feel when something thin is being hidden (paper clip size). Above 15 degrees they work really well if I’m moving and active and they have enough dexterity you can pull a trigger or operate a release for a bow.

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
I started using deerskin gloves last year for everything down to about 15°. Deer skin is far more supple than cow leather, has some insulation value and does great when wet and after drying. Great gloves!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just depends on what I’m doing. For sheep season I use kuiu peloton 240 gloves with a black diamond waterproof shell.

for moose season and running rivers, I take a pair of down mitts and a pair of neoprene gloves I think they are called ice breakers or something.

for winter hunts, I have down mitts while I’m driving a machine or sitting and glassing with some sort of liner under them.

*zap*

WKR
Outdoor Research Alibi II gloves for if you are active at those temps. They’re made for ice climbing, come in at a decent price on Amazon and work great. I use them at work for pat downs and searches outside while at work, they’re puncture resistant enough I don’t have to worry about accidental sharp exposure but tactile enough I can feel when something thin is being hidden (paper clip size). Above 15 degrees they work really well if I’m moving and active and they have enough dexterity you can pull a trigger or operate a release for a bow.

Alibi 2 is a great glove for hiking/active, I use them hot or cold for that. Great protection for the hands and workable dexterity. The OR Arete if its wet works very well also and has a liner I think....mine are just the shell.

Cold and stationary hunting a muff or kangaroo pocket with light gloves and a warmer, heavier glove that I can shoot in to go over the liner if I think I will be holding the bow for a while being ready to shoot. Nothing sucks worse than having light gloves on in freezing cold and getting stuck holding the bow for 10 minutes or so while waiting for a shot opportunity.

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider

N2TRKYS

WKR
I don't normally wear gloves, but when I do, I wear the fingerless mitten gloves like mentioned above. They're the best I've found.

While I was on an outing with the mrs we went into a TJ Maxx. I found two sets of gloves, both made by Nike. They are "running" gloves, both are different weights. I used them this last part of rifle elk and the heavier ones were quite nice. So far so good, can't complain as both pairs cost me $18.

And I got the ones with the Thinsulate liner. I wear a pair of thin gloves inside them when I may need to pull them off to do work, handle stuff, etc...

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
Super thin polypro liner gloves under leather chopper mitts with double thick wool liners for super cold conditions. Thinsulate lined leather work gloves for everything else. Water proof waxing the leather will keep your hands dry and make the leather tacky for good grip. I guided ice climbing/mountaineering for years and this was the ticket for me. The higher quality the leather (moose, elk, buffalo) the longer they will last. Whole set up costs around 50$.

16Bore

WKR
Kinda sorta off topic, but I found a pair of thin merino liners were the best thing I didn’t know I needed. Nice to keep the chill off when you don’t need something heavier or as an added layer when you do.

The BIG thing I found was wearing them under latex/nitrile gloves when processing chilled out meat.

No more numb fingers, they work great!