Gloves

ChrisS

WKR
For mid-season temps down towards freezing, I'm starting to really like these Burton powerstretch fleece gloves. They're super sticky for grip and are pretty accurate for touchscreen use. I don't know if any of the camo companies make gloves like these, but I usually hate wearing gloves and like them a lot.

PA Hunter

WKR
I like my kuiu guide gloves with their merino liner gloves inside. For dexterity I just use the liners . I also always have a thin cabelas pair with sticky grip stuff on them. These are great just handling a rifle in not too cold temps and don’t take up much room.

akrdkill

WKR
these things, they aint "cool", they aim spendy, but they work....I run merino liners in them if needed, cheap enough to trash & get muddy....my wife says best things set had keeping her hands warm this fall....$$6.00 locally here

Attachments

• B39F4EBE-9157-4A91-866A-A8263AED8120.jpeg
    B39F4EBE-9157-4A91-866A-A8263AED8120.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 1C753338-067C-47E9-87FF-6BD7B870D89B.jpeg
    1C753338-067C-47E9-87FF-6BD7B870D89B.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 105
I wear some older under armor infrareds and they do pretty good into the low 40 high thirties.ive bought a couple other pairs but go back to these because of the dexterity/heat capability. If you run a thinner glove you can keep a bit more heat in by buying thick nitrile glove at harbor freight or something and put them on underneath. Adds a good amount of heat, but you sweat. I take that as a minor inconvenience for what I gain out of this combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I wear a fingerless merino underneath the firstlite grizzly trigger mitt. Perfect combo of warmth and dexterity when I need it. Simply take the trigger mitts off when I need dexterity and my palms are bottoms of fingers are still nicely covered and warm for a bit.

I’ve yet to find good warm gloves that I can wear my sitka traverse gloves under. At wallmart they have 3 packs of stylus ( don’t know if that is the right spelling and I don’t care) for using my touch screen with gloves on. They save a lot of taking gloves on and off. A lot of places give away pens with the little rubber pad on the back they work good too and you always have a pen. It rides nice I. The bino harness

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
Ragg wool, if you can find them. The best substitute I have found for them is fleece. I hunt a lot when it's in the teens and low 20s, so I have to have some warm ones.

AZ8

WKR
I decided to order the Kinco gloves mentioned earlier in this thread. Received them today. First impression is a well built glove, but damm, they are stiff! After treating them, Ive been wearing them all day hoping they‘ll soften up. I’m sure it’ll take a season to really break these in, but I’m happy with the quality. Also these gloves are big! I ordered the Large and probably could of got away with the mediums. Oh well, not sending them back. They‘ll probably shrink a bit anyways after a season or two of snow and rain.

Going on a late elk hunt after Thanksgiving, so I’ll put them to the test.

Poser

WKR
I decided to order the Kinco gloves mentioned earlier in this thread. Received them today. First impression is a well built glove, but damm, they are stiff! After treating them, Ive been wearing them all day hoping they‘ll soften up. I’m sure it’ll take a season to really break these in, but I’m happy with the quality. Also these gloves are big! I ordered the Large and probably could of got away with the mediums. Oh well, not sending them back. They‘ll probably shrink a bit anyways after a season or two of snow and rain.

Going on a late elk hunt after Thanksgiving, so I’ll put them to the test.

They’ll soften up nicely. Most skiers/riders will bake them in the oven at 150f for a few minutes, treat them with Nikwax or snoseal and then bake them a few more minutes. That will help quite a bit with softening up. I also treat mine with mink oil a couple of times during ski season. This is the first year I used them hunting as I always considered them too heavy, but the comfort and toughness make them worth the weight, I think.
Here’s a recent pic following a 2,000 foot climb in some cold temps.

89ab4391e4061620e658d55985b2086b.jpg

Reactions: AZ8

Mossy

WKR
What are you guys doing about cold wet rainy weather? I usually pack 3 pairs to switch out but today, after 2 hours they were all done.

RDoucey

FNG
They’ll soften up nicely. Most skiers/riders will bake them in the oven at 150f for a few minutes, treat them with Nikwax or snoseal and then bake them a few more minutes. That will help quite a bit with softening up. I also treat mine with mink oil a couple of times during ski season. This is the first year I used them hunting as I always considered them too heavy, but the comfort and toughness make them worth the weight, I think.
Here’s a recent pic following a 2,000 foot climb in some cold temps.

89ab4391e4061620e658d55985b2086b.jpg
which kincos do you prefer? they have a lot of different options of types of leathers/lined/knit wrist vs non

Poser

WKR
I have the “lined heavy duty premium grain suede pigskin driver with knit wrist”. $29

That’s a cold weather glove for sure.

Jorge400

FNG
I finally went with the glove-mitten that others have mentioned with a thin liner glove with touch screen fingertips. the mitts fold back and can be strapped in place (thumbs as well). This works for dexterity but also if you are hiking and don't want to work up a sweat or just need to dump a bit of heat.

I just got a pair of Kuiu Axis gloves and I'm not sure how well I'm going to the like them. Some things I like about them are the neoprene cuffs, the water resistance (they shed water very well), they seem pretty durable and the touch pads work great. I'm not crazy about the fit though, there is too much material in the palms but the finger lengths are perfect. I like a glove that snuggles every curve, like it was poured on. I'm going to give them a shot though and see, especially on wet days, getting to/from the stand and while riding the ATV.

I also bought a pair of the new FL Talus full fingered gloves and I really like them. I'm not sure how durable they'll be but I'm thinking they'll be my go too glove when stationary hunting from a stand. They fit very well, very quiet, functional touch pads, and should work well with a muff in cold weather.

I bought a pair of the Kuiu glassing mitts and love them. Extremely warm. Easy hole on the trigger finger to put your finger through for dexterity. Use case is more for glassing / at camp / very cold hiking vs. high dexterity stuff. But I'd feel comfortable taking them out on a cold day and then just pulling them off to make a shot, etc.

I haven’t seen many guys talk about this but what gloves do you guys run? I’m looking for a glove for when temps get down in teens and low 20s. That I still have some dexterity with. This weekend was hunting down in the low 20s with high winds and my hands got so cold they hurt. I started looking at Kuiu selection but really it’s hard to tell how much dexterity youwill have by looking at a picture online
See pics for best of all worlds; dexterity, warmth, dry, cheap, + sleek enough to fit in a chopper or light overmitt. Get yourself a lifetime supply of stretchy polypropylene liners (search Ansell or Wigwam). Ansell are better and cost less. For fingerless wool my favs are the Fox River gripper cuz they're thin and $14. First Lite Talus work nice but spendy. Everything can fit inside overmitts + can pack multiples for backup + great for gun handling and trigger press, shooting a bow release, fishing gear handling...whatever. For a bonus layer those thin camo Cabela's poly gloves are great between the Ansells and the fingleress wool. One last advantage is thin enough to sense the charcoal heaters in your pockets.
Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 10.31.26 AM.pngIMG_6698.JPG

Last edited:

Squamch

WKR
What are you guys doing about cold wet rainy weather? I usually pack 3 pairs to switch out but today, after 2 hours they were all done.

That's always been my struggle. Coastal BC means hunting in the pissing rain. Helly Hansen rain gear top and bottom, hell, I'll even hike in muck boots some days just to keep my feet 100% dry. 2 years ago I used glacier glove waterfowl gloves. Neoprene gauntlets for setting decoys. I could lift my hands above my elbows, and not get soaked. Only problem, I wore holes in em in one season. I made a break through this year on gloves though. Simms flyfishing gloves. It's a goretex shell, and then I kept 2 pairs of mechanix gloves to swap out if I got one set damp.
One day we got 3" of rain on a backpack hunt, I stayed fully dry while hunting the timber all day. It was a near religious experience!

Clarktar

WKR
That's always been my struggle. Coastal BC means hunting in the pissing rain. Helly Hansen rain gear top and bottom, hell, I'll even hike in muck boots some days just to keep my feet 100% dry. 2 years ago I used glacier glove waterfowl gloves. Neoprene gauntlets for setting decoys. I could lift my hands above my elbows, and not get soaked. Only problem, I wore holes in em in one season. I made a break through this year on gloves though. Simms flyfishing gloves. It's a goretex shell, and then I kept 2 pairs of mechanix gloves to swap out if I got one set damp.
One day we got 3" of rain on a backpack hunt, I stayed fully dry while hunting the timber all day. It was a near religious experience!
We hunt the same biome. I'm just across the strait of Juan de fuca from ya.

I wear a liner glove and a commercial fishing glove if it's 31 degrees and raining.

Might be cruising my boat around V.Is. this year.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Squamch

WKR
We hunt the same biome. I'm just across the strait of Juan de fuca from ya.

I wear a liner glove and a commercial fishing glove if it's 31 degrees and raining.

Might be cruising my boat around V.Is. this year.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That was going to be my next thing to try. $300 canuckbucks for the sitka gloves just wasn't gonna happen!