Gloves?

TruckMonkey

Lil-Rokslider
Alright- shopping for gloves and need some input. I hunt Colorado rifle seasons. I want something I can shoot with well, but wear while glassing in colder weather. What do you guys like?

Voyageur

WKR
If you are looking for inexpensive do-all gloves the Kinco knit wrist heat keep gloves are great. There are a couple posts about them in this thread:

Rock-o

WKR
Take a look at the Kuiu Guide Glove. They may be the best mid season hunting glove I have used.
I coupled the Guide Glove with the Ultra Merino 210 Glove. I've only worn them once and it was together. It was breezy, a few degrees below zero, and sleeting. I didn't know what to expect from them and they did ok. Never did my hands feel cold but they certainly weren't balmy warm either.

TomJoad

WKR
Colorado glassing high I’d recommend a true double glove or mitten. I bring them even as early as first rifle, glassing at 10-11k is cold and double gloves are comfortable. I use hestra gloves designed for snow sports. Arcteryx also makes excellent double gloves. Both are spendy but warm glassing for me is important. These are not gloves for shooting, I use Kuiu guide gloves for milder weather, on the move or shooting in the cold. Like layering I always pack a “glove system” when in the mountains: ultra light merino liners, guide gloves and double gloves. Caveat would be day trips, the above is my backpack hunt setup.

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Lightly insulated and windproof glove like Arc'terxy or OR ice climbing gloves parred with a set of mittens. I layer every other part of my clothing, don't see why one would do hands different.

Shraggs

WKR
I like wool. Merino liners plus rag wool gloves or mitts and rei gortex glove fir water proof if wet.

I mix and match as needed.

MTJake

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of OR Arete gloves that I use in MT on colder days. The outer shell is gortex and windproof and keeps me plenty warm hunting down below 0. The liners are good, and i can always use merino liners with them if I want. They have been really durable.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
You cannot beat Hestra gloves, in my opinion. They are a bit pricey, but well worth it. I think your best bet is to buy gloves from a company that specializes in making gloves and they have made gloves longer than most of us have been alive. If you live in Colorado, they have a store in Arvada - it may actually be a factory/regional distribution center.

You cannot beat Hestra gloves, in my opinion. They are a bit pricey, but well worth it. I think your best bet is to buy gloves from a company that specializes in making gloves and they have made gloves longer than most of us have been alive. If you live in Colorado, they have a store in Arvada - it may actually be a factory/regional distribution center.
I drove by that place for a year, always wanted to stop but never did. Neat looking building.

I'd agree with the opinions that you should consider a double glove approach with warm mitts over thin liners. I like the first lite shale hybrids and then get a large mitt to go over it. Unfortunately this year I got mitts (giv'r) that work great by themselves but are too tight to go over the shale gloves.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was out this morning, 9F and snowing when I left the truck an hour before shooting hours and colder yet when I got to my glassing spot AND the wind had come up. I found a rocky spot with a big juniper to hunker in that was mostly out of the wind. Suffice it to say- it was damn cold! My glove was a light pair from Sitka (Ascent I think), they're not overly warm (or weatherproof), but I can shoot with them on. Over them was an Apex insulated mitten from Enlightened Equipment- the Stronghold mitten, these are in 4 oz Apex (I have another pair in their 2 oz Apex for earlier season), over those are waterproof (and windproof) over mitt from Black Diamond.

If you're going to be hunting in cold weather, don't look for a one "glove" solution- it's not going to work; just like clothing- think layers.

Last edited:

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I was out this morning, 9F and snowing when I left the truck an hour before shooting hours and colder yet when I got to my glassing spot AND the wind had come up. I found a rocky spot with a big juniper to hunker in that was mostly out of the wind. Suffice it to say- it was damn cold! My glove was a light pair from Sitka (Ascent I think), they're not overly warm (or weatherproof), but I can shoot with them on. Over them was an Apex insulated mitten from Enlightened Equipment- the Stronghold mitten, these are in 4 oz Apex (I have another pair in their 2 oz Apex for earlier season), over those are waterproof (and windproof) over mitt from Black Diamond.

If you're going to be hunting in cold weather, don't look for a one "glove" solution- it's not going to work; just like clothing- think layers.
Yeah, I agree that more than one glove is a good idea in some conditions. A pair of small midweight gloves that are touchscreen compatible stay in the thigh pocket of my pants. On days with cold mornings and warm afternoons, I switch gloves when my hands get too warm. On super cold days, I prefer using hard warmers to layering up. With that said, for me good gloves are comfy in a huge temp range. I like having fingers, so mittens are a no go unless it is like 20 below.

Northpark

WKR
I use mechanix gloves when it not too cold. This year hunting second rifle in CO it was -20 for a few days. Was loving my Kuiu glassing mitts. They have a trigger finger.

I used to go hunting about 3-4 years ago. Of course, you have to have perfect gloves to stay with a pleasant experience after hunting. I liked the ones from Manzella the most. They are hot and comfortable, I recommend. But now that we are in 2021, many more qualitative ones have probably come out. But if it's about gloves, you all know that we have to work with disposable gloves and a mask because of the pandemic. I am allergic to latex gloves, and I want to look for an alternative. I read on a site about nitrile gloves. Are they perfect for any skin type?

Last edited:

rideold

WKR
I just wear whatever mid to lightweight glove I like (currently nursing a pair of Core4 Element gloves that are on their last legs) and then bring my OR overmits for the cold. With the idiot-strings on them it's easy to pull them off and let it dangle while handling the rifle.