Gloves?

Ozz08

WKR
I'm looking for suggestions on gloves. I always pack my UA liner gloves and they are great for dexterity and keeping the chill off my hands while moving. I'm looking for a set of gloves to wear when the temps drop and I'm sitting still glassing or whatever. I won't be shooting my bow or anything with these new gloves(my UA gloves work for that) so I don't need a very technical set. I would like them to have enough dexterity to easily operate my optics and not be fumbling around with things but I mainly just need them to keep my hands warm and block wind. So what do you guys say?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been pleased with my Windblock OR fleece gloves (Model is called Gripper). Super warm, maintain reasonable dexterity, and small enough to fit both gloves in one pocket of my puffy coat when I don't need them only bummer is they arent waterproof, and don't keep you very warm if they get wet.

JNDEER

WKR
On my hunt in AZ this January. The temps were super cold 12-30 showing from the truck and then there was wind chill as well.

I used the UA liners and my hands froze. I used the UA liners with a Manzella bow glove and they were still cold (only while sitting).

I then decided to pull out a pair of the russel wool liner gloves i purchased from camofire. i put them on (just them) and my hands stayed warm, even sitting with a breeze. I think it had more to do with my hands sweating some in the other gloves, then the cold would just chill it. With those wool gloves it never sweat and my hands did not get cold.

I would never have believed that a thin pair of wool liner gloves could keep my hands warm while glassing deer in 20 degree weather with a 8-12 mph breeze, but they did!

jherald

WKR
I've got a set of Patagonia merino wool glove liners, very nice and keep the chill off. I use them when I'm fishing, hiking, hunting, clearing the driveway,brushing the snow off the car, just about whatever when it's cold and they do well. You may be able to find them on sale since Patagonia is bringing out the spring/summer line-up. They fit true to size as well, if your a M glove, order an M, same for L and so on.

jherald

WKR
Another option is the Kuiu guide gloves. Same fleece lining as the guide pants and has tacky leather palm and fingers for grip. I can shoot in the winter with them good enough to reload and manipulate a firearm.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
El Cheapo $5-$6 per pair Red Steer Chilly Grips. Been using them for over 3 years for everything outdoors. Tried a pile of over gloves and these cheap chilly grips fit the best and give me great grip, dexterity, waterproof palms and finger tips the, but the back of the hands is knit so they still breath and don't get clammy. Plus they are cheap enough I can by half a dozen pair for the price I can buy a single pair of nice fleece gloves and have a pairs to spare. :D

IMGP1308.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMGP0665.jpg

Oh yeah they make 'em in camo now too! :D
PB140046.jpg

Wrongside

WKR
El Cheapo $5-$6 per pair Red Steer Chilly Grips. Been using them for over 3 years for everything outdoors.

But, those are so... Not technical!.... ;)

Ours are a different brand name, but same idea. I worked outdoors everyday for years and that type of glove, in several different weights, were my main work gloves. Finally smartened up a couple years ago and started using them for hunting/backpacking...:)

OP
O

Ozz08

WKR
Luke I may give those a go. I've worn them for work a lot and they are pretty durable too. The only thing I don't like about them is my hands sweat like crazy in them. But like I said I'm not looking gloves to stay active in, but just to keep my hands warm when glassing so these probably will work. Plus I get them for free!

Utah Transplant (after ~20 years in Colorado)
Core4Element is releasing some gloves with leather palms and fingers that are probably the most comfortable hunting gloves that I tried on at the Hunting Expo. I own a couple pairs of the KUIU gloves and the older Sitka Timberline gloves, and really dig the new Core4 gloves. You won't be dissapointed!

Ray

WKR
Luke where do you order the chilly grips or is there a store that carries them up here.

Gardening section of Fred's is where I have been buying them for a few years. The camo ones seem to sell out faster.

NEhunter

WKR
Luke where do you order the chilly grips or is there a store that carries them up here.

I bought some new off eBay this year and tried them after seeing a recommendation by Luke and I really like them. Good gloves and can't beat the price.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
yeah online you can get them in bulk for much cheaper than fred's which is what I do...plus Fred's doesn't usually carry size small.

Luke posted about these gloves earlier and I tried these and they make an eco fiber glove as well that thinner/lighter that I use for earlier season. After using these gloves there is no reason to buy the expensive gloves these two sets works so well, plus if you lose one its not a big deal.

bobhunts

WKR
"Plus if you loose one its not a big deal" That I can relate to! Lost my Sitka shooter gloves first trip out to place a few game cams. Pissed me off to no end!

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Luke, thanks for the tip! I grabbed a couple of pairs of the Red Steer Chilly Grips and it looks like they are going to work really well. Now I can get rid a half dozen pair of gloves I've tried over the past few years that never lived up to the hype.

mtnkid85

WKR
Ive actually gone back to a simple pair of the Kinco brand insulated leather work gloves. For all the reasons already listed above, price, warmth, ease of replacement.
This after wearing out several different pairs from Blackdiamond.