Glowing.... How can I figure out?

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I apologize if I use some wrong terms here. This is a bit of a new one for me...

I have read that some clothing can actually glow for game (elk, deer, etc) due to the spectrums they see (versus humans). Even if it is camo. It is my understanding that some dyes and some detergents contain UV brighteners that cause this.

I have a lot of Kings Camo clothing (I like their camo patterns) and I have noticed they have a glossy sheen on some of the synthetics. How do I tell if those (or any camo I have) are putting off visuals that game can see (overtly)?

I have read that you have to black light it... Not too close to the clothing (or anything will) nor too far (or nothing will). I have also read you have to have a specific spectrum and brightness...

Anyone have a working procedure?

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Careful what you read and believe. Most things of that nature are written by people who are trying to sell you a product. If you're worried about it, just wash your clothes in detergents that don't contain scents or UV brightener. Many major brands make such detergents. I've washed my hunting clothes in damn near every detergent imaginable over the years, and never had a problem killing game.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
Stay upwind and be still. You can wear purple and yellow doing this and it will work better than the newest alpha camo downwind and moving will.

To answer your actual question, get a black light. Shine it on the camo. If it glows, it's showing up in the UV spectrum. I honestly wouldn't worry about it unless you're bow hunting whitetail deer from the ground.

I've never read about needing a certain spectrum of black light though.

Grizzly83

FNG
I’ve seen the UV spectrum sales pitch. Real life application debunks lots and lots of things set up to sell hunters more products. Best camo pattern, scent killer, ozone eliminator, so on and so on.

At the end of the day it’s about staying still and being downwind. If you can focus on those things, then it doesn’t much matter what camo or specific clothing or scent killer you use. I have a good friend who went out this year and bow hunted whitetail from the ground in his work clothes just to prove a point. Killed 2 pope and yound bucks and 2 does this season doing it. Hunting is about the craft, not the tools.