Gluten free backpacking.

grfox92

Well Known Rokslider
I hate to admit it. I ruthlessly made fun of the gluten free fad for years. Maybe it's Karma, but I have serious issues with wheat now. The doctor agrees, I should not eat it, and the gastrointestinal issues I get from it makes me agree.

With season quickly approaching I need some more ideas for some in the field meals.

I'm hip to the instant mashed potatoes. Gluten free Ramen. Instant rice. I'll add tuna packets, smoked oysters, sardines or herring to those for a complete meal.

Gluten free bagels with peanut butter or tuna. Oatmeal for breakfast. Nut and seed granola bars that are wheat free.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with a wheat issue so just curious to see what other guys are eating on the mountain. I don't eat pre packaged backpacking food typically and in the past ha e put together my own meals.

Thanks in advance for any new ideas.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

OP
G

grfox92

Well Known Rokslider
I do organic instant Oatmeal in the mountains.

I've been toying with the idea I'd dehydrating eggs, but everything I find is talking about dehydrating raw eggs. Not sure why you can't to cooked eggs, but dehydrated bacon and eggs and potatoes on a gluten free wrap sounds like a great meal.

bdan68

Well Known Rokslider
You might consider cutting out all grains entirely, not just gluten. Humans aren't really designed to live on grain.

skolpatrol

I hate to admit it. I ruthlessly made fun of the gluten free fad for years. Maybe it's Karma, but I have serious issues with wheat now. The doctor agrees, I should not eat it, and the gastrointestinal issues I get from it makes me agree.

With season quickly approaching I need some more ideas for some in the field meals.

I'm hip to the instant mashed potatoes. Gluten free Ramen. Instant rice. I'll add tuna packets, smoked oysters, sardines or herring to those for a complete meal.

Gluten free bagels with peanut butter or tuna. Oatmeal for breakfast. Nut and seed granola bars that are wheat free.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with a wheat issue so just curious to see what other guys are eating on the mountain. I don't eat pre packaged backpacking food typically and in the past ha e put together my own meals.

Thanks in advance for any new ideas.

almond crackers

sndmn11

Well Known Rokslider
I have celiac and found out in 2016.

Peak, Heathers Choice have been good to me, I just got some stuff from gastrognome. I think nine mile has a good selection as well.

Corn tortillas
LABELED gluten free nature's path oatmeal and Quaker oatmeal.
Probars, Luna bars, honey stinger have some stuff.
Annie's, Kraft, and daiya have good Mac cheese
Watch out for rice mixes, a lot aren't gfree. Watch out for sauces. Watch out for seasonings. I won't eat anything that isn't labeled gfree, and going out to eat is risky.

I am exponentially healthier since I learned of my disease. The downside is that now if I accidentally have something with gluten, it smashes me for about two days with flu like symptoms and water sharts.

bbell

Well Known Rokslider
Sorry man. My wife and one of my daughters are celiac. It’s hard. But look at it as a way to clean up your diet and eat less processed stuff.

Also oats contain a protein that mimics gluten. My wife can’t have oats at all. Even gluten free oats. My wife always had stomach issues then they realized she was celiac. After going gluten free she felt way better. But then realized how sensitive she actually was when she got cross contaminated. So be ready for that.

I don’t have to eat gluten free but have benefited from it for sure. Nothing wrong with meat and veggies!