GMRS vs FRS radios?

swwifty

FNG
First off thanks for the replies.
Now that I'm good and confused it looks like VHF MURS radios are kind of a lesser known option and a good option for simple two way communication? Better than GMRS for hilly terrain?

Sorry, I'll try to make it less confusing.

Think of it this way, you have three options to use.

1. Unlicensed radios (FRS and MURS is here, and GMRS with less than 3 watts)
2. Licensed radios with no testing required only a fee. (GMRS goes here)
3. Licensed radios with a test and fee required. (Ham radio is here)

As you progressively advance in that list towards number three your range and flexiblity get much better. If you have a bunch of buddies and you know they won't bother to study and take a ham test, then I think a GMRS/FRS/MURs radio makes most sense.

Get your GMRS license so you can use radios with up to 50 watts of power and detachable/external antennas. MURS is a very good option too for unllicensed, but its limited to only 2 watts of power. You'll have better range and coverage around obstructions, but its gonna be hard to beat a ham tech license and use of the 2 meter ham band.

Hopefully that clarifies some things, and i haven't confused you more...

swwifty

FNG
Looking at the repeater map there aren't any even close to the areas I would be using the radios.

Yeah probably not if you are going to be remote hunting/hiking, etc.

Last year in Montana I was able to use GMRS radios up to 2-3 miles in very hilly terrain. As long as you know their limitations, and get some experience with them you should be fine.

Height is might on the VHF frequencies and up.

fwafwow

WKR
Sorry, I'll try to make it less confusing.

Think of it this way, you have three options to use.

1. Unlicensed radios (FRS and MURS is here, and GMRS with less than 3 watts)
2. Licensed radios with no testing required only a fee. (GMRS goes here)
3. Licensed radios with a test and fee required. (Ham radio is here)

As you progressively advance in that list towards number three your range and flexiblity get much better. If you have a bunch of buddies and you know they won't bother to study and take a ham test, then I think a GMRS/FRS/MURs radio makes most sense.

Get your GMRS license so you can use radios with up to 50 watts of power and detachable/external antennas. MURS is a very good option too for unllicensed, but its limited to only 2 watts of power. You'll have better range and coverage around obstructions, but its gonna be hard to beat a ham tech license and use of the 2 meter ham band.

Hopefully that clarifies some things, and i haven't confused you more...

Thanks for this info. I'm hoping to soon have my Ham license. Would it matter if I go with #3 and the other two buddies in my group go with the GMRS/#2 route? Said another way, if we all have radios in #2, we are subject to the limitations of that technology. But if my license permits me to communicate at their frequency, but maybe at a higher power, would we be better able to communicate - at least between #2 and #3 types?

Technically, GMRS radios are required to be “type accepted”, meaning HAM radios that are modified or programmed to broadcast on GMRS frequencies are not legal.

However, if you know what you’re doing so that you aren’t interfering with other communications, and you broadcast on lower power on the required channels, the odds of having an issue are very slim.

The FCC seems to be more interested in people selling stuff, using it commercially, or trying to interfere with other communications. It’s the other HAM guys that are likely to get annoyed and report you if they find out you’re unlicensed or not doing things properly.

I went with a vehicle mounted Midland GMRS, the Midland Base Camp GMRS, and then a pair of their higher end FRS radios. I don’t see much difference in range them and the GMRS handhelds, and you can hand one to a buddy without operating illegally.

If you’re planning to raise a stranger on the radio to get help, HAM is probably the best option, especially if you have repeaters around.

If it’s for your hunting party, just get whatever everyone else is wiling to buy and use, since it does no good if one guy has CB, one has GMRS, and one has HAM.

swwifty

FNG
Technically, GMRS radios are required to be “type accepted”, meaning HAM radios that are modified or programmed to broadcast on GMRS frequencies are not legal.

However, if you know what you’re doing so that you aren’t interfering with other communications, and you broadcast on lower power on the required channels, the odds of having an issue are very slim.

The FCC seems to be more interested in people selling stuff, using it commercially, or trying to interfere with other communications. It’s the other HAM guys that are likely to get annoyed and report you if they find out you’re unlicensed or not doing things properly.

I went with a vehicle mounted Midland GMRS, the Midland Base Camp GMRS, and then a pair of their higher end FRS radios. I don’t see much difference in range them and the GMRS handhelds, and you can hand one to a buddy without operating illegally.

If you’re planning to raise a stranger on the radio to get help, HAM is probably the best option, especially if you have repeaters around.

If it’s for your hunting party, just get whatever everyone else is wiling to buy and use, since it does no good if one guy has CB, one has GMRS, and one has HAM.

Agreed.

If you have a GMRS license, you can actually use radios with deatachable antennas. Antenna is the key for reliable communications. If you can attach an external antenna, it will make a significant difference in range and reliability.

Most GMRS radios though don't have a deatchable radio and this limits their range. This is why I like ham radios as they typically have detachable antennas and up to 5w of power. I've made contacts over 100 miles with a omni directional antenna and 5w on a handheld radio (from a mountain top, but still pretty darn good for a HT).